Fuckin' Videogames, Man

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
Cyberpunk 2020

I am hyped for it.

Played all the Witcher games starting with W1 Gold a year after release (Bug fixes and the like).

That said, Video games go on sale so fast and I am already deep into some.

On the top of my hits a good deal list to buy.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I keep playing the old-school games--like Dark Age of Camelot with animists.......but I did just buy Pillars of Eternity and Skyrim AND a new gaming rig.......But haven't turned on new computer or tried out these games...the computer and new monitor literally sitting on my living room floor because Prince makes me work on Palace. I thought I might have caught up with everything and have a little time to dabble this weekend, but Prince claims he will be done with Screaming Caverns this weekend. Final push.

Osrnoob

Any love for Rougelikes here?
By that I mean the first attempts to emulate dnd with computers ala Rouge in 1980 .

I really like:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (The best traditional Fantasy DnD on a computer game RL)
Caves of Qud (Reminds me of ASE but on the computer ... new megadungeon patch!)
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (The best non fantasy if survival is your jam, Zombies but you can replace them with wolves or dinosaurs easy)
Brouge (Very friendly if you have not played one before)
DoomRL (Simple and quick, Run and Gun, reminds me of Diablo if it stayed turn based in development)
Ancient Domains of Mystery
Tales of Maj'Eyal (Current version of the LoTR RL)

Go go tilesets

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
@Beoric : Nice GIF! I recall vividly when my cousin got a Pong console --- that being a console that only played pong with paddle controls. It was a wonder! Those dang paddles were designed to make it harder!

@Osrnoob : I wasted HUGE amounts of time at my friend's house, staying up to 4am playing the original ASCII-text Rouge (which for whatever reason was called Hack in the version we played) on his Health-kit IBM-PC clone playing. Loved it. It (and another ASCII-text game called Empire) seemed like a break-through in computer games. My gosh! Those treasure-rooms/stores. We'd alway go in there and start trying to figure out how we could use the magic-items to kill the shop-keeper you owned them. One hit and he'd end you....but oh the stuff who could fine! Elbereth!

You can still get it as a yum package for most Linux distributions. It's maintained as Nethack. I may play it later today.

Shortly after that, Ultima ][ entered. It was dumbfounding how such a complicated adventure game could be made in fit in only 64KB of memory (lots of disc access!). I actually played it again this past summer on an Apple ][ emulator under Linux (Linapple). It was STILL great. I thought about putting up a post here proclaiming how it was the best game to capture that gritty OD&D vib. It had/has all the important elements:
  • resource management through food and the need to buy healing (i.e. it cost too much in food just to wait around for large number of hp to regenerate)
  • exploration through a complex map (with different times accessed via moon gates) and interesting cities
  • tons of NPCs to talk too in order to gain info to solve a complex puzzle to win
  • high mortality!
  • land, sea (frigates were critical for the win), and space travel
  • ability to steal and get chased by the city guards
If you realize that it came out in 1982, and included all these fundamental elements of D&D, it's a masterpiece. The only part that fell flat for me was the dungeons---the version in one of it's contemporaries (Wizardy) was much better.

I haven't played all the RPG games that followed, to be sure, but Ultima was a trail blazer with just the right mix of elements. Hard to beat.

Ultima III was even better: it allowed for party combat and classes (spell casters!). But despite the improved combat, the game never lost site of the fact that at it's heart it was about exploration, resources-management, and communication. This is something I think the 1990's console-game totally screwed-up, turning into Mortal Combat...and the trickled into later edition D&D (dead-ends). I blame the Japanese for mistranslating D&D.

Ultima IV was good (it introduced alignment, and a plot-driven need for virtuous behavior---after all the OD&D pilfering, killing, and other shenanigans), but beyond that the later Ultimas were a disappointment. Like many human endeavors, initial success atrracts greedy-minds who focus on all the wrong things. They create consumer-targeted crap---derivative work for a market "shake down"...and folks, we are the ones getting shaken. Best to walk away and look for the next little pocket of single-author quality.

Side note: From Wikipedia on Ultima IV:
Lord British said:
Garriott [game designer, a.k.a. Lord British] removed gameplay elements he believed would prevent players from identifying personally with their character, such as playing as a non-human.
Yeah buddy! If Lord British said so...I know I'm right about this! How does it feel doubters to have been so thoroughly...one might say, definitively...proven to be ABSOLUTELY, UNEQUIVOCALLY, WRONG?
(Anything you say now in an attempt to backtrack, or subvert this fundamental truth will only make you look worse...so don't even bother. Just eat your Humble Pie and like it.)

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

Anybody feel like talking about games made in this century?
Who else is on the Cyberpunk train? I got 26 hours of play over the weekend. The glitches are many, but not as game-breaking as the internet would have you believe. Started on the Street Kid path, pretty good so far.

Beoric

Ultima IV was good (it introduced alignment, and a plot-driven need for virtuous behavior---after all the OD&D pilfering, killing, and other shenanigans), but beyond that the later Ultimas were a disappointment.
I actually preferred Ultima VI, but never finished because of system crashes. I've been thinking of playing it to completion now, I'm finding the GOG games are more stable than the originals, or maybe computer systems are just more stable.

I kid you, but on the rare occasions when I play computer games I generally play turn based games from the late 90s. I've been playing Heroes of Might and Magic III with my youngest, and have dabbled in Masters of Orion II and Civilization III recently, but just can't spare the time that games demand. @DangerousPuhson, Civ 3 came out in 2001, so it was made in this century.

I also remember my first pong console, with the controls built into the console so you had to sidle up to each other to play. It included a couple of variant courts, including a squash court and a regular court with two paddles on the screen for "doubles" play.

DangerousPuhson

Civ 3 came out in 2001, so it was made in this century.
Fair. I got Civ VI on a Steam sale a couple weeks ago. Decent, but I think I prefer V or even IV ... VI feels somewhat oversimplified. The best one IMO was Alpha Centauri, where you could customize unit components and build Worldbusters that literally sank parts of the world into the ocean.

My first console was a Colecovision. Those telephone controllers man, wild.

Beoric

So far I prefer the original Civilization but I can't find it anywhere. If I ever run across my original disk I might see if it will run on Dosbox. If I can find a 3.5 floppy drive.

TerribleSorcery

Anybody feel like talking about games made in this century?
nah.

Osrnoob: I was just playing DC:SS yesterday actually!! The minotaur "Hank5" was sent to the Abyss to die, another promising career cut short too soon. Phew...
I used to love TOME, but I found the complexity too much for me. Learning all the class abilities and coming up with a 'build' takes a lot of energy for me, and so I end up playing the same classes over & over (I like the Cursed, the Brawler, and the Oozemancer). I haven't tried any of those other ones though

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Any love for Rougelikes here?
I played the original one until I got a pathological fear of the letter T alright. That was a hard game. I never got into Nethack but I heard it was even better (and harder).

I bought this and I love it but I finished it in 6 hours but its got it where it counts.