Recent content by mAcular

1. mAcular

Remote DMing for Noobs

roll20 is the most convenient gateway to online play. It's free and it doesn't require installing anything. You just go to the website.
  2. mAcular

The state of Post-OSR content

Hey, I'd use it. Tell me! I think it's pretty rough but it's a good starting point. For me I know 5e well enough that I don't need it and can just do it by feeling.
  3. mAcular

Digest Format: What's the appeal?

The point of a OPD is to give you something easy to just pick up and play. They're more like skeletons or wireframes for you to get inspired by, kind of like terse dungeon descriptions of old. Most of them are pretty bad though, but there's an infinite amount of them online for free, so it's...
  4. mAcular

The state of Post-OSR content

Damn, DP beat me to it. This entire time reading this thread I wanted to volunteer to convert Malrex's adventure. 5e is extremely easy to port stuff over into -- I often just go straight into the OSR and Basic/1e/2e section and pick up adventures from there so I can use them for 5e. You just...
  5. mAcular

Lots of shit going on / Sandboxes

There's a distinction to be made between modules and campaigns. A campaign world, where you're basically just free to wander wherever -- it's not really a big deal if you skip out on some locations. But if it's a module, if you decided "we're all playing Tomb of Horrors tonight," then it makes...
  6. mAcular

GP=XP

Ah, yeah, you also see that happen when accepting new party members or putting together the party -- a stranger walks up to you at a tavern and says a few words and suddenly you're all fighting back to back with your lives in each other's hands.
  7. mAcular

Well, I meant random encounters are "quantum" in the sense that those creatures don't really exist in the game, until you roll the random encounter, then suddenly they're upon the players. Maybe I took the name too literally. For the treasure chest example, my intent was to show that the...
  8. mAcular

GP=XP

Not sure what the stance on necroing threads here is -- if this is too old, then by all means just delete the post. I wanted to throw in my two cents into the discussion. My ideal, and the ideal of most GMs, I'd assume, is for the players to play their characters to the utmost, and not be...
  9. mAcular

Quantum Ogre is basically just improvising, but taking a piece of content and deciding ad hoc to use it elsewhere. Let's use the potion example. The players open a chest inside a dungeon room, and they find treasure inside. You actually didn't think they'd get here this session, so you never...
  10. mAcular

Put in good with bad

Question: why the directive to avoid simulationism? Isn't that inherently interactive?
  11. mAcular

Forbidden Caverns of Archaia with 5 Torches Deep

How do you feel about playing FTD compared to just playing a game like Basic?