Search results

1. grodog

Who played games with Jim Ward?

I played a few MA games with Jim at NTX and/or GaryCon, but it has been a little while now (definitely pre-COVID). Allan.
  2. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

Speaking of dungeon design, Tony “Wheggi” Rosten and I will begin working on issue #4 of _The Twisting Stair_ in May (of this year;) ), so if you have ideas or suggestions you’d like us to consider, please speak up :) Allan.
  3. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

You need dungeons or dungeon maps? Allan.
  4. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

Was that my suggestion?? Allan.
  5. grodog

Book Fucking Talk

The one I’ve been waiting on since the late ‘80s/early ‘90s is Gerold’s _War Against the Chtorr_ series, which has made GoT look timely in comparison ;) Good series about an ecological invasion of Earth, set in the near-future. Not sure if that’s what Bryce had mentioned though. Allan.
  6. grodog

Book Fucking Talk

So, is Aliera e'Kieron a video game character, then?? Allan.
  7. grodog

Book Fucking Talk

re: Herbert and characterization, I disagree that he doesn’t produce characters with sufficient depth you could care about them; my take is that he actively subverts our desire to like them in the traditional “protagonist as hero” way, since he sees Paul (and later Leto) as the extraordinarily...
  8. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

Some other good resources: - https://greyhawkonline.com/greyhawkwiki/Isle_of_Dread (with index references particularly useful) - the Lost Temple of Demogorgon from Dungeon 120 - various OSR sequels/prequels/side adventures to I1, X1, etc. from casl Entertainment, Pacesetter, Badmike, etc., as...
  9. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

Her play preference sound hand-picked for exploring the drowic underworld, to my ear at least. Lots of deceit and intrigue, double- and triple-crossing and fractious faction alliances! Solid fodder for a year or more of game play! :) Allan.
  10. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

Yep, that’s Chainsaw’s Lake of Fire’s final title/form. Allan.
  11. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

Agreed, but players also want to test their mettle against the classics too, in addition to defining their own classics of course! My son Henry commented that he doesn’t really know anything about the modules of Greyhawk, which definitely makes me want to include some in our solo campaigns, at...
  12. grodog

My "Megadungeon"

That’s very kind, but in terms of first-hand mega-dungeon-delving at-the-table experience, there are plenty of other folks who’ve got more time logged than me: while I have co-DM’d with Rob Kuntz and played in his Castle El Raja Key, and played in Barker’s Jakallan Underworld as DM’d by Victor...
  13. grodog

Let's talk about Barrowmaze

Guy’s definitely around, just focused on life priorities rather than gaming priorities these days. I keep hoping we’ll get him back at GaryCon or NTX sometime soon. Allan.
  14. grodog

Let's talk about Barrowmaze

I was not deeply interested in BM:C when it was first published, preferring the leaner BM1+2 editions. So, you might consider checking the earlier version out. Note that I’ve not run BM in any form, either, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt. Allan.
  15. grodog

The state of Post-OSR content

Agreed, and this is why AD&D (and by extension, OSRIC) needs a book of maps for in-lair encounters that combines the community-based settlements of the MM with the complex-monster examples from Rogues Gallery (for creatures like liches, titans, dragons, etc.) as ready-made encounters that don’t...
  16. grodog

Teaching an RPG writing class, looking for example adventures

Hi Mark— My list of favorites at https://grodog.blogspot.com/2018/05/these-are-few-of-my-favorite-things.html skews toward D&D, but I do include my favorites across RPGs like MERP, CoC, Paranoia, etc. too. (I have an OSR favorites post in draft, am working to complete it by month-end; I also...
  17. grodog

Why Assassins are awesome!!!

Some of those arrays could get a little better with age and demi-human adjustments, but on the whole they are pretty lame. There’s not even really enough room to adjust stats on a 2:1 basis ;) =) Allan.
  18. grodog

Yes, but AD&D also needs more mechanisms than just aging, magic tomes, and the oddball ioun stone to raise stats, given their importance to long-term campaign play. While I don’t advocate for all of the ho-hum stats-boosting spells and items from 3e, adding some more attribute-bumping...
  19. grodog

In AD&D 1e, they’re not really equal: on page 100 in the DMG, NPCs get stat bonuses by race and class in addition to those already provided in the PHB. I assume this because so many NPCs end up fighting a PC party solo, but I’m not sure. Could just be a sign of the stat inflation times ;) I...
  20. grodog

I like assassins, and two players have them as PCs in my current game—one an olven assassin, the other a half-orc fighter/assassin (who’s from The Horned Society). In fact, the half-orc used his disguise ability on Saturday night to try to fool fighting-retreating goblins to stand their ground...