Search results

1. Howard Andrew Jones

Gods of the Forbidden North

Any thoughts on this thing? Looks like the Kickstarter of volume 2 and a reprint of volume 1 are going to close up in the next day or so. I'm a sucker for giant hex crawls, but only if the hexes are really interesting...
  2. Howard Andrew Jones

So Much Bad Design...

Over the last few days I've been combing through modules I splurge bought over the years -- many in the years before I was aware of this and a few other trusted review sites -- and My God but they're bad. So very very many of them are room after room of some kind of lethal trap or monster that...
  3. Howard Andrew Jones

The Webs of Past and Present

Finished running this one over the weekend and great fun was had. I'm used to having to tweak things in a module so that it makes more sense, or so that it is better paced or less lethal, or other matters, but the only changes I had to make to this one owed to changing the backstory to make it...
  4. Howard Andrew Jones

Wrack and Rune

Stumbled upon this one from the early days and it looks like it might actually rate a No Regerts or even Best Of from the positive sound of the review: https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=462
  5. Howard Andrew Jones

ASE 2

I've been flipping through ASE 1 and 2 again and thinking about running them but I find myself concurring with Bryce -- when I get to the clown bigtop thing in ASE2 I'm completely derailed. My players get into their characters and the world even as they're goofing about, and this just kind of...
  6. Howard Andrew Jones

Runewild and Rosethrone

While discussing the Nod36 review, I mentioned a few favorite hexcrawls, and Evardsmalltentacle asked how I combined The Runewild and products from Rosethrone. The simplest way to explain is that I use the Runewild pretty much as written (although I run it via Beyond the Wall rather than 5E)...
  7. Howard Andrew Jones

Wheel of Evil (The Best)

I ran this one a couple of weeks ago, purchased many years back based on Bryce's recommendation. My (solo) player is less interested in combat than in interaction and sense of wonder, so I typically scale back the lengthy combat sequences that seem endemic to these modules. This was no exception...