1. M

Isle of Dread

thanks for this. this is what I need. B
  2. M

Isle of Dread

Hi Squeen. Thanks for that and for the welcome. B
  3. M

Isle of Dread

I have not been on these boards for almost three years, but have played a lot of dnd. We all switched to OSE. I have run a game now since May 2021 which is the longest I ever ran. Long story short: Black Wyrm of Brandonsford, Hole in Oak, Incandescent Grottos- Fun. Forbidden Caverns of Archaia-...
  4. M

Isle of Dread

Thanks all. with a few more days, I think I should have mentioned the keys; though in an indirect way: "the tunnel is blocked by a locked iron gate. Just on the other side of the gate is a torch bracket with a small chain or something hanging from it." Something like that. Hack and Slash Blog...
  5. M

The state of Post-OSR content

It would have taken me three hours to write an essay like this. Bravo.
  6. M

Isle of Dread

Ok guys. In the latest dungeon (sea caves) the players did not engage with either faction very much. So, they ended up fighting both factions at about the same time. So, after several hours of boss fight they run for the exit- a darkened tunnel. It looked ok from far away. However, when they...
  7. M

Isle of Dread

I think that rolling with weird shit is one of the cool challenges to player skill. Especially for the DM, but players too. Put a twist on things... But hopefully not stupid ones. Roll dice. Roll with the results. Otherwise why not play Total War? I'm experimenting with awkward social...
  8. M

Isle of Dread

I felt the same way three years ago, but not any more. It must depend a lot on the players, of course. I do agree 100% that they inevitably play their characters as human anyway, but they next step from there in my opinion is to let them play whatever they want and forget about it. Treat them...
  9. M

Isle of Dread

My wife did a volunteer gig teaching writing to homeless youth. Only two or three guys showed up most of the time. They werent doing so well in a lot of ways. Guy#1 had really bad Tourette's. The other guy, his friend, only spoke in weird sounds (though he wrote in English). "He's not really a...
  10. M

Isle of Dread

You know guys, this 5E game is really fun. The trick is to just ignore race all together. And not in a PC way. It just doesn't matter. It's a state of mind. No one cares if elves like dwarves or not. You probably all know this already.
  11. M

Isle of Dread

Ok. Isle of Dread was not that bad but not that good. I misplayed it by railroading them there. Live and learn. So we started a new game as a one shot. Anti heros in Sasserine, which is near enough to the isle of dread. The first game was super fun. I do a good five room One shot. This turned...
  12. M

Isle of Dread

Personally I think my best prep prepares me to improvise. Maybe I will buy lost treasure of Atlantis...
  13. M

Isle of Dread

Wow. This has turned into a pretty good thread.
  14. M

Isle of Dread

Derivative is putting it mildly, I think. But he doesn't seem to be the first one to rehash All the old stuff. You guys all have known this I'm sure. I'm just reading it all for the first time
  15. M

Isle of Dread

Hey, why are your opinions verboden? In any case, we played last night level 4: Paladin, Monk, Barbarian, Wizard, and Bard. I started them in one of the seven villages but made it 8 villages by including Jawala, the one ruled by the were shark. The villages had a big meeting including dinosaur...
  16. M

Isle of Dread

Hi all. After taking a break for the pandemic we did Stonehell for a few sessions and also played some monster of the week. Now we are back to dnd, 5E, on an island. Has anyone run Island of Dread? I'm going to use it. Any suggestions would be welcome. You guys are great.
  17. M

Barrow Maze with Labyrinth Lord

Hi all, it has been ages since I posted. Things have been kind of nuts. Anyway, the barrowmaze group left Helix to learn more about the Cult of Orcus. I ran them through an encounter with a holy statue of St Ygg and a bunch of Jermlaine. The priest of St Ygg loved it, like I knew he would, but...
  18. M

Jermlaine pranks

Ha. Yea, I worry too about it getting boring. But the idea of 30-60 minutes is game time, not real time. And once the howling starts he will be doing something. Of course if it falls flat I will feel like an idiot. I will keep it short.
  19. M

Jermlaine pranks

OK. Here is a draft I wrote of the encounter on google docs. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sdhQQJ5rKfFXSyfFcthMJx8UuLvHv1MVDNEpWBqdDM4/edit?usp=sharing anyone can write on it and add Jermlaine torments or whatever.
  20. M

Jermlaine pranks

I have started a table. Going to re-watch army of darkness as well.