Search results

1. The Heretic

So I was reading the Monster Manual...

...and came upon this interesting tidbit under the Men - Buccaneer entry: For every 50 buccaneers there is a 15% chance for a cleric of 12th. 13th. 14th. or 15th level and a 10% chance for a magic-user of 6th. 7th, or 8th level. Wait, what? If you encounter 300 buccaneers there's a...
  2. The Heretic

1e Monster Manual Minis from Wizkids

Well look at that. https://wizkids.com/dd-classic-collection-monsters-a-c/
  3. The Heretic

Good "Wizard Tower" adventures

What would you guys consider to be the best 'wizard tower' adventures in the OSR? I am looking for suggestions.
  4. The Heretic

Lord Dunsany in the news

Alas, not *that* Lord Dunsany, but it's still cool to see one of his descendants doing something noteworthy. https://getpocket.com/explore/item/people-think-you-re-an-idiot-death-metal-irish-baron-rewilds-his-estate?utm_source=pocket-newtab Blech. He's a death metal fan. Eww.
  5. The Heretic

Cracked did a thing on Tomb of Horrors.

...and it was akshually kind of informed. https://www.cracked.com/article_30916_meet-the-tomb-of-horrors-aka-the-most-hilariously-brutal-dd-dungeon.html
  6. The Heretic

Are you shitting me, Noble Knight Games is in my backyard!?!

Well I'll be. I didn't realize that Noble Knight games is one city over from where I leave. This is extremely silly now that I realize I've ordered stuff from them. They have a big list of d20/3.5 books they are interested in. What a coincidence, last night I was looking at my library and...
  7. The Heretic

A new way to roll stats!

(I know Squeen will be THRILLED with this idea) Instead of rolling 3d6 for each stat, in order, you have to play yahtzee first. THEN you take your scores from the top part of the scorecard (Ones, Twos, Threes, etc) and arrange them how you like. Anything higher than 18 will count as 18...
  8. The Heretic

Did TSR ever release a true, bona fide hexcrawl?

I'm asking because it seems to me that the only true hexcrawls that existed at the time were by third party publishers. Since I was a TSR fanboy in the 80's, I completely missed this. I don't think you can count Isle of Dread as a hex crawl. It's too disjointed, it's just a regular sandbox...
  9. The Heretic

Into the moors---looking for suggestions

So, my group is about ready to enter the orc infested moors. I'm looking for some interesting, nonsensical, or just plain weird encounters to toss in here. (I blame the Goblin Punch blog and their entry on Wisps not named Will for inspiring me to be weirder than normal) moor /mo͝or/ noun...
  10. The Heretic

Has Bryce lost his mind?

I'm starting to get scared. Bryce gave out yet another "The Best" review! Has he been replaced by a doppelganger? Are we going to need to do an intervention before he starts designating Adventure Path modules as "The Best" en masse?
  11. The Heretic

2e - why you think it sucks, and why you're right

So yeah, everyone agrees that 2nd edition sucked, right? Or are there 2nd edition shippers out there that just aren't as visible as the 1e/5e lovers?
  12. The Heretic

Dragon Issue #42 The Mansion of Mad Professor Ludlow

Dragon Issue #42 The Mansion of Mad Professor Ludlow (October 1980) Issue #42 is a Halloween issue. Wheeee! I used to seek those out back when Tom Moldvay (may he rest in peace) did his articles on the various types of undead. He actually has an article in this one, about demons, devils, and...
  13. The Heretic

Dragon Issue #41 The Halls of Beoll-Dur

Dragon Issue #41 The Halls of Beoll-Dur (September 1980) zzzzzz.... Oh sorry. I'm having trouble getting through this one. It keeps putting me to sleep. This one was the third place winner of the first IDDC and I have to say there was a precipitous decline, even worse than the one between...
  14. The Heretic

Dragon Issue #37 The Pit of the Oracle

Dragon Issue #37 The Pit of the Oracle (May 1980) This one is the 2nd place entry to the IDDC (of which Fell Pass, previously reviewed, was the winner). Fell Pass was rather interesting, hopefully this one will be as well. The module begins with two pages or so of descriptive text about the...
  15. The Heretic

Remote DMing for Noobs

I'm sure a few of you have heard the news that there's a pandemic going on. This is putting a crimp on my campaign. Anyone have any suggestions for playing D&D remotely via computer? Preferably something free-ish and easy to use for stoopid people? What are my options!
  16. The Heretic

Dragon Issue #34 Doomkeep

Dragon Issue #34 Doomkeep (February 1980) Doomkeep? Doomkeep. I suppose it might have been fresh and new in 1980 but this comes across as hackneyed now. This one is a tournament adventure, "The Second Official AD&D Masters Tournament". This one has a new feature. Read aloud! Yay...
  17. The Heretic

Dragon Issue #32 Fell Pass

Look at that, a fun Christmas themed cover by Phil Foglio. That's nice. Hmm, the date is harder to find though. December 1979, found it! Hey wait a second. So this thing wasn't monthly at first? Shows what I know. Dragon Issue #32 - Fell Pass by Karl Merris (winner of the International...
  18. The Heretic

Dragon Issue #21 Hall of Mystery

In a feeble attempt to fill the void left by Bryce's lack of access to adventures printed in Dragon magazine, here is my first review. Dragon Issue #21 - Hall of Mystery by Don Turnbull (published December 1978) While looking up when this was published I ran into this little tidbit in a prior...
  19. The Heretic

A theme for Bryce

20. The Heretic

Gah! Help me find a pregen for this ruined city of mine!

Or two cities, for that matter. I have two ruined cities that the PCs might want to visit, and I'd love to hear any suggestions more modules or adventures that might help out. The first is Sannar, the City of Steam. Here's my concept: Sannar's main claim to fame in ancient times were its...