Search results

1. Johann

Best mini-dungeons?

I'm looking for very small dungeons (~10 rooms), preferably vanilla style or fairytale vibes. So far, I've found The Barrow of the Elf king among Bryce's reviews. It's PERFECT. Any pointers to other well-done and very small dungeons? (There are good one-page dungeons, but also a ton of crap...
  2. Johann

Muster: a friendly primer to old school D&D

Eero Tuovinen is setting set out to write Muster: a friendly primer to old school D&D at IndieGoGo. This is a project very much in the vein of Matthew Finch's Quick Primer for Old School Gaming and Jason Cone’s Philotomy’s Musings. Eero’s been blogging and writing about the philosophical...
  3. Johann

Get ready to die!

In my quest to become a Killer DM, which I blogged about for awhile here, I focused on overcoming my deeply ingrained habit to pull my punches as a DM. I largely overlooked a closely correlated aspect: getting the players onboard for a lethal game. Eero Tuovinen has been planning an essay...
  4. Johann

The Sacrament of Death

Blogger Eero Tuovinen writes some damn good RPG essays and is currently polling readers about what to write next. I have expressed my love for his insights on my old-school blog Out For Blood and will provide one of my favorite nuggets from discussions on the (now defunct) Story Games forums...
  5. Johann

AD&D is obsolete, Round 2?

Beoric beat me to the punch with another juicy event (2e - why you think it sucks, and why you're right), but I'll barge ahead anyway. (I'm not usually combative online at all, but this tiny little forum has had the most charming debates, so I'll give it a try. I'll probably get my ass handed...