05R/Five Torches Deep Sandbox/Megadungeon/Campaign advice - Into the Unknown, Barrowmaze, Archaia, Stonhell....?

marksable

*eyeroll*
I'm thinking of starting a new campaign with the same players. The first campaign I ran was 5E, which would not have been my choice but I like my group, and had wanted to try running it. I had great success with The Fall of Whitecliff and then ran a mash up of The Night Below and Storm King's Thunder which weren't bad but not nearly as fun.

Sick of running 5E, my players have indulged me in Campaign #2 by running Into the Odd/Electric Bastionland. It was a breeze to run, but the lack of classes and progression didn't thrill my players. I switched to The Black Hack, as it seemed it would fix those issues while maintaining some simplicity and ItO's core roll-under mechanic. I'm waiting for feedback from my players on both system and campaign...we had fun with Tomb of The Iron God, Fever Swamp and most recently Kidnap the Archpriest. So Bryce's list has been super helpful in picking out this module (also thanks to Melan for recomending Huberic of Haghill which gave us some town adventures for a bit). But in my own estimation, the campaign has suffered from lack of direction beyond the PC's paying off their debt.

I would like to run an old school or OSR type campaign with a system they're happy with. I think Five Torches Deep might fit the bill - it's compatible with 5E so my players should be comfortable with it, but it looks much simpler to run, with gold for XP, non-superhero PC's, resource management and generally deadlier play closer to the old school ideal I haven't yet been able to reach with this group.

Campaign wise, I'd like a 5E compatible sandbox with factions and at least one megadungeon. Five Torches Deep goes to 9th level, so I'd like the possiblity of going that long without the obligation to do so or a dungeon that goes past that since there's no real rules beyond that. I'd it to be low maintenance from a DM standpoint.

With that in mind, I've been looking at the following: Into the Unknown (Goodman Games combo of In Search of the Unknown and Keep on the Borderlands), Barrowmaze 5E, The Forbidden Caverns of Archaia 5E, Rappun Athuk 5E, Tegel Manor and Stonehell. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'd love thoughts on which might fit what I'm looking for.

Here are my own thoughts so far:

Into the Unknown
Pros: 5E compatible, Keep on the Borderlands is a classic.
Cons: Not very interested in In Search of the Unknown. Not sure if there's enough for a campaign by itself with Keep (I've never been able to find out how many sessions it would take with 4 1st level characters).

Barrowmaze:
Pros: 5E compatible, very well reviewed by Bryce, good feedback from actual play reports here and elsewhere, larger sandbox than Into the Unknown, possible linkage with Forbidden Caverns of Archaia
Cons: I feel almost all the monsters being undead are going to get really, really tiresome after more than a few sessions. We played Tomb of the Iron God in the past year and while it was good, I can't see an entire campaign based around it.

Forbidden Caverns of Archaia:
Pros: 5E compatible, Big sandbox, lots of factions. Seems like a bigger Keep on the Borderlands, more variety of monsters than Barrowmaze
Cons: Bryce's review was less than glowing, haven't seen other reviews/actual play

Stonehell:
Pros: Seems easy to run - love the way it's laid out. Well reviewed by Bryce and generally well regarded.
Cons: Not 5E compatible, no town. Those may seem easily fixable but converting to 5E can be a pain, and I don't want to build a town from scratch.

Rappun Athuk:
Pros: 5E compatible. Bryce calls it the platonic ideal of a megadungeon.
Cons: Seems like it might be unwieldy. I don't know how deep the players will be able to get if they max out at level 9 (I'd like them to have at least the opportunity for a sense of resolution).

Tegel Manor 5E:
Pros: 5E compatible, heard great things about the original.
Cons: Haven't heard anything about Frog Gods 5E conversion. They warn about not approaching it until level 3 at least, and I want to start the players at level 1

If you put a gun to my head now (please don't)...I'd probably choose Keep on the Borderlands and maybe have Archaia

Sorry for such a long pre-amble...this has been helfpul just to get my own thoughts down. But given what I'm looking for, I'm hoping that those of you that have played any of the above have advice on which of the above would make the best sandbox experience for a 05R/Five Torches Deep campaign. I'm also open to suggestions not on the list. Thanks in advance - Mark

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
While 5 Torches Deep looks interesting, as you point out, it also has some issues. If you want the true OSR experience, why not go all the way back to the well and give Swords & Wizardry (Complete). It's OD&D (0e) in a tidy little (FREE!) PDF. You and your players will be able to pick it up in no time.

S&W is a retro-clone of the original D&D booklets with just a couple of the rough edges smoothed-over. Matt Finch (who wrote Tomb of the Iron God), put Swords and Wizardry together after retro-cloning AD&D (1e) in the form of OSRIC (along with Stewart Marshall). Despite it's simplicity, we've been playing it weekly for about 6 years without the need for much else (although I do mix in 1e stuff a bit too...because).

Perhaps what I like most about the system is that it takes you back to the roots of the hobby and then incites you to leap off into the void of your own imagination. It's when you start to fill in the gaps with your own content (and house rules) that D&D really comes alive.

To that end, I think Keep on the Borderlands is a fine place to start. You get a home-base for the party (the Keep) and the Caves of Chaos to explore (without having the whole complex collapse on your head while the party is still finding it's feet). When I started out, I connected it to The Village of Hamlet (T1) via several days of travel and was able to introduce some plot-twists/interconnects that helped me find my own voice as a DM. After that, our party headed "north" and have pretty much been flying without-a-net in my own home-brewed world ever since.

Also, there was another adventure product Bryce reviewed that he labeled a better B2 (a.k.a. Keep on the Borderlands)...but I can't recall which one that was. (Was it Gunderholfen?).

I have Rappun Athuk, but can't really recommend it for starting a campaign. It will most likely result in Total-Party-Kill. What's more, while it is a great example of a VERY deep megadungeon in the classic sense, there is nothing about its content that specifically makes me want to play it. Seems a bit dry/routine/disconnected for some odd reason that I can't quite put my finger on (juvenile?). Seems like megadungeons can easily fall into that trap. I think Lost City of Baracus is a saner offering from the mind of Bill Webb.

As for the others, I don't own them, so instead I'll put in a plug for both Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom and Demonspore (both by Matt Finch)---the party did stumble through those and they were great fun.

Things I'd like to try (and do own) are: the zany/gonzo Operation Unfathomable, and I also think Hole in the Oak looks cute. Both are low-level. The Mud King of Stone Creek is also low-level, and Bryce dubbed it the "platonic example of a journeyman quality adventure"---which, for him, it pretty glowing words.

After the party gets up to 3rd level, I recommend taking a look at The Red Prophet Rises. It's got a great (Conan-ish) swords & sorcery vibe.

I also like the look of the (FREE!) Hyqueous Vaults and (not free) Many Gates of Gann--the very talented Guy Fullerton had a hand in each.

Lastly, consider taking a peek at Bryce's (untested?) Black Maw megadungeon too. We'd all love to hear a play-report from that.

Good luck.

EDIT: I forgot to give a shout out to Ben L's Wishery products (Through Ultan's Door). Seriously inspirational and evocative---just maybe not the first place to start. You can read about the setting in his Mazirian's Garden blog.

Last edited:

squeen

One more bit of "campaign" advice. Don't neglect having a "town" or city in the mix---a lot of the role-playing/intrigue happens there. City adventuring is important, as is wilderness---the wilds and civilized bits add some space (and calm routine) between the crescendos of dungeons. The trick is to make them interesting without jam-packing the action/tension.

That said---I can't think of one (complete) city product I like (maybe City State of the Invincible Overlord???---but it's a bit "magicked-up to the gills" for my tastes). I have a PDF of Bard's Gate for Swords & Wizardry...but something is off there too for me. I will however give a nod to like Melan's "Nocturnal Tables" for city-fun/inspiration.

Hommlet is a great village setting, but small. Gygax sure had a palatable vibe.

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
Have you looked into Chris Kutalik's stuff yet? Misty Isles of Eld or Slumbering Ursine Dunes should satisfy your OD&D sandbox vibe, while Fever-Dreaming Marlinko would make a suitable city plug-in. All three have rave reviews, naturally.

I can also endorse Yoon-Suin for the same reasons, though you'll have to co-opt out for a mega dungeon to plunk into it. Because they're more setting-oriented books rather than specific adventure modules, they aren't stat-heavy and translate to 5e easily enough.

Last edited:

squeen

Have you looked into Chris Kutalik's stuff yet? Misty Isles of Eld or Slumbering Ursine Dunes should satisfy your OD&D sandbox vibe, while Fever-Dreaming Marlinko would make a suitable city plug-in. All three have rave reviews, naturally.
All three of these are solid products (including Swordfish Isle), but they are---to me at least---something far more modern/mature than OD&D.

DP is right in that they do bring the weird. Hard.

Slick

*eyeroll*
Forbidden Caverns of Archaia:
Pros: 5E compatible, Big sandbox, lots of factions. Seems like a bigger Keep on the Borderlands, more variety of monsters than Barrowmaze
Cons: Bryce's review was less than glowing, haven't seen other reviews/actual play
It's selfish of me, but I'd recommend Archaia just for this reason alone. Somebody's gotta be the guinea pig.

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
I haven't seen Tegal5E, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Some I prefer over others, but if you've found this forum then you should be able to make any of them work. Everything else is just splitting hairs.

Or ... I have something I call my "zero prep" game: Dungeonland. I put in Stonehell, Maw, Rappen, Barrowmaze, Darkness Beneath ... and maybe somehting else i forgot also. The party gets rumors and can explore them all ... they are all within a couple of days of the home base.

Let me challenge you on one thing: native 5e? Do you feel worried of converting on the fly? When I do something like that I keep a little "clip out" on my DM screen that has instant conversion stats. It's like 6 lines long to convert HD, saves, HP, etc.

Ironwood Gorge is the other B2. It's good, and also, I think, tough, iirc.

Ice

*eyeroll*
It seems like you have enough IRL DMing XP using different systems that you can just convert on the fly if you have the right tools.

I was also under the impression that Five Torches Deep was compatible with 'OSR' material, but I haven't looked at the system myself so I dunno.

Echoing what Mr.Bryce said, having a quick-conversion sheet stuck to your DM screen makes it very easy. It would be surprising if Five Torches Deep didn't have something like this. When I DM non-DCC modules in DCC, I just use a conversion sheet I found online. Easy peasy. If Five Torches Deep is close enough to the OSR lingua-franca (B/X, 0DnD, 1e, LotFP), you may not even need that.

Either way, don't worry too much about running only material designed for 5e, but rather run whatever material you want. My regular group just ended a short mega-dungeon campaign (we had to stop because I got accepted to nursing school, quit my job and am currently on a monthlong vacation, bike touring next week, woo!!). That campaign started with Hole in the Oak (A+ module, very easy to use) as the main module. As they went, I just added new passages to other dungeon levels as I pleased. They visited and cleared The Tiled Labyrinth (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, BEST TWO PAGE DUNGEON EVER), and they were aware of other levels of the dungeon, but they never visited them. The other levels were Crab Men Caves, some of the lower levels of The Citadel of Fire, and my own home-brew Underdark area. Nothing I ran was designed for DCC, but the conversion sheet made it seamless.

Mega-dungeons can be surprisingly freeform. You can easily mix several dungeons together and add in your own stuff as you go. Your players won't move very quickly through a mega-dungeon, so don't worry about having everything ready to go on day one.

From my own experience with that campaign, you will want some sort of outside area prepped for sure. My players never really got tired of the dungeon, but they would frequently find reasons to leave. They set up a little base in the dungeon, but they had to pay rent to a grouchy ogre named Grumpy in the form of pies, so of course they needed to bring pie supplies into their underworld-base to bake pies. They also had to find a baker and convince him to join them in their weird lair. This bargain was entirely their idea and lead to them spending quite a bit of time outside the dungeon. They also liked to visit the town for carousing or purchasing of magic items when they had money.

As your players get richer, they are probably going to want to find stuff that isn't readily available in a small town, so having a slightly more extensive back drop, or at least a lot of NPCs outside the dungeon will pay big dividends. For the outside area, I used the Wormskin books #1 and #2 (very imaginative with great tables and content, but cumbersome to use as an actual backdrop. Not well laid out) plus my own content. One of the recurring NPCs was an aspiring medieval spa-owner named Granny who offered good food, a good night rest and lavender-coffee enemas. They never took Granny up on the last one, but they did spend a lot of time at her house.

Having a ton of hooks outside the dungeon regarding stuff in the dungeon is super helpful too. Don't just have them find the dungeon itself and assume they will be infinitely interested in it. Constantly give them new stuff to look for in the dungeon, and stuff to do with their money outside the dungeon.

So yeah, have an outside area with a town or two prepped. From what I've seen, all of the modules you listed actually come with that, so you'd probably not need to do much work.

So if I were in your shoes and I wanted to go above and beyond, here is what I would do:

1.Buy the mega-dungeon of your choice and read a bit of it.
2. Either buy or make a greater outdoor area. (one of these guys would be good, or the classic, or this for a city, or whatever you want)
3. Spend 20-60 minutes making a combined rumor table, placing the dungeon on the map and come up with a strong start for your first session so they get dropped right into the action and don't spend too much time putzing around.
4. Play.
5. spent 5-10 minutes before every session updating rumor table so they constantly have reasons to be exploring and new things to be discovering.
6. After a few sessions, buy a smaller module or design your own area and see where you can sew it into the mega-dungeon or the larger world, depending on what they are interested in.
7. repeat step 6 ad nausium until you get tired of your current campaign and you decide you want to run The Men in Black RPG, or you get a new hobby, or everyone dies in real life.

Final piece of advice: Make sure you are using dungeon turns. Dungeon turns make exploring huge underworlds far more engaging and risky-feeling. The most concise protocol I've seen is found in this. (fully compatible with Vanilla 5e and certainly compatible with Five Torches Deep)

Last edited:

marksable

*eyeroll*
One more bit of "campaign" advice. Don't neglect having a "town" or city in the mix---a lot of the role-playing/intrigue happens there. City adventuring is important, as is wilderness---the wilds and civilized bits add some space (and calm routine) between the crescendos of dungeons. The trick is to make them interesting without jam-packing the action/tension.

That said---I can't think of one (complete) city product I like (maybe City State of the Invincible Overlord???---but it's a bit "magicked-up to the gills" for my tastes). I have a PDF of Bard's Gate for Swords & Wizardry...but something is off there too for me. I will however give a nod to like Melan's "Nocturnal Tables" for city-fun/inspiration.

Hommlet is a great village setting, but small. Gygax sure had a palatable vibe.
Wow, thanks everyone!

Squeen - I would be down with Swords and Wizardry (the first campaign I ran was B/X with AD&D classes), but my players want 5E and FTD is going to be a compromise. It's hard to find a regular group, they show up (online) every week, play clever...so although 5E isn't my system of choice I feel like meeting them halfway is fine. Plus I'm curious to see how FTD runs.

I think Ironwood Gorge is the adventure Bryce likes better than B2. I appreciate the TPK warning for Rappan Athuk (although I think my group would handle it well). I"m hoping Bryce reviews Baracus - I saw someone asking for it on the to do list.

I used a bit of Operation Unfathomable to mix in with The Night Below when I ran that. Think it might be too gonzo for what I want and 5E/FTD conversion wasn't easy as I recall. I need to check out Hole in the Oak and Mud King of Stone Creek. Everyone else you mentioned I think I have (definitely want to do Ultan's Door at some point...might wait until there's more volumes).

I couldn't agree more about having villages and cities (I have an old thread on here asking for recs). Hommlet is great, although listening to the playthrough on GGNoRe I kind of feel like I played it so I might wait a while. I used a certain city kit by someone I won't name that was helpful, but Melan's Nocturnal Tables is a good idea.

marksable

*eyeroll*

I can also endorse Yoon-Suin for the same reasons, though you'll have to co-opt out for a mega dungeon to plunk into it. Because they're more setting-oriented books rather than specific adventure modules, they aren't stat-heavy and translate to 5e easily enough.
Yes - I have all the Marlinko stuff. I think it might be a little weird for what I have in mind, and as I recall not easily convertible to 5E.

Yoon-Suin I LOVE. My first campaign (B/X w/AD&D classes) a different group spent a long time there and honestly it could have been the entire campaign. I loved using the tables before and during play. It's the most useful RPG product I own. With this group, I had them play a session there when not everyone could make it as one-shot and they didn't really take to it. (I used a Yoon-Suin Slug Man as the debtors they owed money to in Electric Bastionland too).

Appreciate all the suggestions.

marksable

*eyeroll*
It's selfish of me, but I'd recommend Archaia just for this reason alone. Somebody's gotta be the guinea pig.
I haven't seen Tegal5E, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Some I prefer over others, but if you've found this forum then you should be able to make any of them work. Everything else is just splitting hairs.

Or ... I have something I call my "zero prep" game: Dungeonland. I put in Stonehell, Maw, Rappen, Barrowmaze, Darkness Beneath ... and maybe somehting else i forgot also. The party gets rumors and can explore them all ... they are all within a couple of days of the home base.

Let me challenge you on one thing: native 5e? Do you feel worried of converting on the fly? When I do something like that I keep a little "clip out" on my DM screen that has instant conversion stats. It's like 6 lines long to convert HD, saves, HP, etc.

Ironwood Gorge is the other B2. It's good, and also, I think, tough, iirc.
Thanks for responding, Bryce. I'd love a review of Tegel 5E but that might be too much like going back to the old classics and I don't want to prove Kent right:)

Is the zero-prep thing you are talking about "Tower of the Stargazer, Frost Doom, Tomb of the Iron God, and Shadowbrook manor." I remembered that from your Stargazer review when I first came to your site years ago . While I've only used Tomb of the Iron God, that approach has been the one I've borrowed for basically every campaign - seed a bunch of things in and let the players decide. I'm leaning towards combining Archaia and Barrowmaze to start, because they are 5E and I don't want to have too many hooks - I've found that my players get option paralysis.

RE: 5E - so 5E was actually not my first system. I ran a B/X campaign with AD&D for about a year with a different group. I switched to 5E for the current group a couple campaigns ago. As I told Squeen, finding a group that shows up every week is hard, let alone a good one. When I started with 5E I used The Fall of Whitecliff (again, on your recommendation). While I'd highly recommend that adventure, it really was a Pathfinder adventure and the rules the authors gave for converting to 5E were insufficient (at least for first time 5E DM). I wound up just using 5E book monsters (which didn't give me a lot of variety for NPCs - back then there were very few human foes).

I'm not a fan of 5E - too many rules, PCs are too powerful for my tastes and combat can be really slow (it didn't help that we had a rules lawyer in that campaign that is no longer with us). One of the things both my group and I liked was how easy it was to integrate with Roll20. Basically you just push a button on a character or monster sheet, it can handle lighting and range etc. On the other hand I guess that led me to the dark side of using WotC products because of the bells and whistles and I'm not going back there.

I saw you posted your clip outs below, I'm definitely going to print them and have them handy. I may be sticking to 5E in terms of modules intitially because for FTD the only real conversion from 5E is halfing monster stats...it seems a bit more complex for Swords and Wizardry etc...maybe when I get more comfortable with it.

Thanks again though - both your responses were super helpful, and in general I've never gone wrong with any of your recommendations.

marksable

*eyeroll*
Yeah...the game is tomorrow (either session 0 or 1 depending on how much time we have). I'm leaning heavily towards starting with Archaia and having Barrowmaze seeds in to start (and think about seeding in other dungeons if and when it feels like we need more options).

marksable

*eyeroll*
So if I were in your shoes and I wanted to go above and beyond, here is what I would do:

1.Buy the mega-dungeon of your choice and read a bit of it.
2. Either buy or make a greater outdoor area. (one of these guys would be good, or the classic, or this for a city, or whatever you want)
3. Spend 20-60 minutes making a combined rumor table, placing the dungeon on the map and come up with a strong start for your first session so they get dropped right into the action and don't spend too much time putzing around.
4. Play.
5. spent 5-10 minutes before every session updating rumor table so they constantly have reasons to be exploring and new things to be discovering.
6. After a few sessions, buy a smaller module or design your own area and see where you can sew it into the mega-dungeon or the larger world, depending on what they are interested in.
7. repeat step 6 ad nausium until you get tired of your current campaign and you decide you want to run The Men in Black RPG, or you get a new hobby, or everyone dies in real life.

Final piece of advice: Make sure you are using dungeon turns. Dungeon turns make exploring huge underworlds far more engaging and risky-feeling. The most concise protocol I've seen is found in this. (fully compatible with Vanilla 5e and certainly compatible with Five Torches Deep)
That is a really good plan, think I will follow it. Like the Dungeon turn thing. If we switch to sci-fi more likely to run Mothership than Men in Black but who knows:)

Ben Dutter

A FreshHell to Contend With
Hope your game goes well!

Five Torches Deep is pretty much compatible as-is with anything in the OSR space. The conversion rules are very flexible; since almost everything is really just 5 stats for monsters (AC, HP, good mod, normal mod, weak mod). We've had players pick up and run everything from Thracia to Hole in the Oak as is and only need to loosely refer to the monster conversion tables in the book. Happy to answer any other questions.

marksable

*eyeroll*
Hope your game goes well!

Five Torches Deep is pretty much compatible as-is with anything in the OSR space. The conversion rules are very flexible; since almost everything is really just 5 stats for monsters (AC, HP, good mod, normal mod, weak mod). We've had players pick up and run everything from Thracia to Hole in the Oak as is and only need to loosely refer to the monster conversion tables in the book. Happy to answer any other questions.
Hey Ben,

I've run one session of Forbidden Caverns of Archaia (with Barrowmaze as an option for players to visit) with Five Torches Deep and so far we're enjoying it. We're playing again Wednesday. I'd do a session report but it was half a session 0 creating characters and learning rules, so I don't think there's enough of interest to report. I will say that, although no one was killed, the danger level is HIGH. It's hard to tell how much of that is FTD and how much is Archaia (running the 5E version). My players have embraced it, but looking at the early dungeons treasure relative to danger I'm interested to see how far they are going to make it.

Anyway, some questions have come up, I'd love if you can answer them:

1) How much does gold weigh, if anything. Captured gold is a great mechanic but it's unclear to me if that counts as weight for load purposes.

2) Do characters start with gold, or just the items listed?

3) Do players with a negative CON modified subtract it from their starting HP?

4) Are spells auto-hit? Meaning, I know players make a spellcasting roll to see if the spell works, but do they then need to roll to hit with something like arcane arrow?

5) Is the spellcasting difficulty number always 10 plus the spell's level or is it ever armor class?

6) If a PC finds a scroll, can they copy it into their spellbook if they already have the max # of spells available (ex: 1 at first level) or do they have to wait until their next level to cast it?

7) Can you replenish other characters supplies?

It may seem like a lot of questions, but generally most I was able to make judgment calls thanks to such an elegant system and well-written rules on run a fun game. Thanks in advance - Mark

Ben Dutter

A FreshHell to Contend With
Hey there, glad it went well and happy to answer! Fortunately, all of your questions have answers you can refer to in the text.

1) How much does gold weigh, if anything. Captured gold is a great mechanic but it's unclear to me if that counts as weight for load purposes.
500 coins of any weight is equal to 1 load (pg 22, Treasure).

2) Do characters start with gold, or just the items listed?
Just the items listed and their starting supply up to their INT (pg 6, Character Creation).

3) Do players with a negative CON modified subtract it from their starting HP?
Yes! This isn't explicitly called out anywhere, but it isn't contradicted so follow the RAW and that's what you get. However on pg 7 under "Using Classes" it specifies that PCs gain always at least 1 HP on a level up.

4) Are spells auto-hit? Meaning, I know players make a spellcasting roll to see if the spell works, but do they then need to roll to hit with something like arcane arrow?
It depends on the spell. Most spells roll the spellcasting check and the attack into one; it's listed in the spell description (anything that says "Atk" or "Attack" means that you use the spellcasting check result to determine if it exceeds the enemy's relevant resistance / AC / whatever). This is all laid out with an example on pg 28, first column.

5) Is the spellcasting difficulty number always 10 plus the spell's level or is it ever armor class?
It's both. The DC to cast a spell is separate from its ability to effectively impact an enemy target, however one d20 roll is used for both questions. It happens fairly often that you pass a spellcasting check (the spell goes off successfully) but the spell was ineffective against the target (their WIS was too high, or whatever).

6) If a PC finds a scroll, can they copy it into their spellbook if they already have the max # of spells available (ex: 1 at first level) or do they have to wait until their next level to cast it?
PCs can cast unknown spells from scrolls, but can never "know" more spells than the Spells Known table on pg 28. So, in that case the PC can burn the scroll while they cast it, but only once.

7) Can you replenish other characters supplies?
Yes. This isn't explicitly stated in the text but it's not contradicted either; so there's some room for interpretation. However, since SUP is just sort of vague boxes / sacks of "stuff" they are still physical items and should be able to be passed around the party, the same as gold.

Thanks again, let me know if you have any other questions!