10. The Fat Mamma Cass gang

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
Electric Bugaloo has Fat Mamma Cass' gang. My wife was telling a story of visiting her parents and old photos and got on to a story about a big rural piece of land. All the relatives lived near by and, being scotch irish in Virginia, well, you can imagine. They had a clubhouse, rumor has it, where they had a still and would go hide form their women and drink and smoke and gamble. And thus, the brigand gang was born. Actually, I rolled "Brigands" on the random number table, and a lot of them at that, with a treasure in lair. So I devised the "they have 1 hp" and tax man thing. I love tempting players and a fight with 18 brigands at level 1 or 2 is going to not be something that the party engages in. But ... put them in front of a LOT of treasure? Maybe ... and then give them all 1hp/make it obvious that they are all REALLY hurt? Well, that box of treasure is looking a lot more interesting now ... This is the classic example I use of the friendly ogre wearing a stunning gold crown, turning his back to the party.

Being brigands, they need something to do, so smoking, drinking, gambling to get away from their women-folks seems like a great thing to mention to add character! And then, in the "global" description, the addition of the hanging tree and relative drama plays off of the rural stereotypes Hatfield/McCoy stuff. Something to leverage AFTER the dungeon adventure is over to add flavor to the town proceedings.

I knew also I wanted to give the gang a name. More color. Make them seem alive. Matriarchal, the name Mamma Cass came up and I'm sure I riffed off of the singer.

Gus L.

A FreshHell to Contend With
Needs an apostrophe. Ma Ma Ka'Hass...

As a faction the brigands need clear options for being avoided, mollified or recruited. Almost 20 violent idiots sounds like a first class supply of linkboys. Also what defines them as Brigands v. Bandits here? To my mind brigandage implies both a recent of ongoing war and some cause (no matter how threadbare) beyond mere plunder. Rapparee would tell you they were stabbing you to death in furtherance of the Jacobite cause, not just to for your money. This is an implied setting building opportunity.

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
Hmmm, I guess they are bandits. I don't think I ever understood the difference before your post. I knew there were two entries, but didn't know WHY they got 2 different names. Now it makes sense!