5e - why you think it sucks, and why you're wrong

Pseudoephedrine

Should be playing D&D instead
Sounds interesting, especially as I've been using dungeon templates (i.e. sets of changes to be applied to an existing dungeon). Could you elaborate?
Even better! Because all the rules are free, I can literally link you to the explanations the game itself provides.

This is the adventure template section from the Gamesmastery Guide.

Here's one of the templates from that section:

Source Gamemastery Guide pg. 41
Number of Sessions 5–7
Exploration Scenes 1 long voyage, plagued by attacks; 2–3 voyages through urban environments; 1 prison break, heist, or other test of skill
Combat Encounters 2 trivial, 4 low, 7 moderate, 8 severe; possibly 1 extreme. Foes are often other humanoids.
Roleplaying Encounters 2 battles of wits, 2 chances to bypass opponents with deception or threats, 2 opportunities to gather information and rumors
Encounter Tropes Stakes are often more personal, such as the PCs clearing their names from a false accusation or being paid to eliminate a problem. Betrayal, ambushes, and other duplicity. Town fires, weather conditions, unfriendly crowds. The Pathfinder Critical Hit Deck is particularly appropriate.
While I would almost never actually use this straight as it is, I do think it's particularly useful to new referees trying to understand the scope of the task they're taking on by prepping "an adventure" and to spur some ideas. When I'm feeling particularly low energy or low imagination due to the rest of life, templates like this are good for helping make sure I've got the bare minimum ready.

Encounter Design has an initial set up in the Core Rulebook and then an additional set of advice in the Gamemastery Guide.

Here's the initial piece from the CRB (basically the math of encounter building) and here's the section from the GMG about putting flesh on those numbers.

This is interesting to me because just the other day I took a dive looking to satisfy my confirmation bias that PF2e sucks and why'd they have to go and reinvent the wheel. All I found were literally hundreds of glowing reviews with one or two disgruntled players lamenting the loss of complexity. Despite that, I guess there's just a doomed vibe attached to this iteration. That and everyone already invested heavily in the first edition and have more than enough material for several lifetimes. It just doesn't appear to be gaining traction against 5e.

I think a key indicator of where the consumer is at is I thought I'd pick up one of their classic AP's; Kingmaker or one of the ones where you get to play a totally rad, evil Hellknight; recently. I picked up a bagged collection of Iron Gods for like $5/book two years ago. Now, these things are going for $40+/book. Kingmaker will easily set you back $500 for the complete collection. People are digging in with the old system is what that implies to me.
Kingmaker's about to republished for PF2e and is probably the hottest 3rd party item in the entire PF 2e ecology right now. It raised about 11x its initial funding goal. Here's the web page for it.

The fanbase was definitely split, with a big chunk of people holding onto PF 1e. PF2e grabbed who it could from the old fan base, but has actually been having its biggest success recruiting new players and people who don't like 5e or have gotten sick of 5e's limits. Evidently it's growing quite quickly and doing extremely well for Paizo (better than PF 1e did, supposedly, tho' partially due to the sheer size of growth in the RPG hobby since PF1e was launched). The reason it isn't dethroning D&D 5e is the explosive pace that the 5e fanbase is growing at, which no other company has really matched yet.

I'd describe it as a bit of a sleeper hit overall. It's got a fairly large, passionate community that's very good at actively recruiting people to try it out, and many of those people like it and keep on playing it. It's buried under D&D 5e, but everything is atm. I have noticed lately that a bunch of 5e "influencers" are starting to provide various silly rationalisations about why they won't play Pathfinder (Ginny Di most recently) which to me suggests they're feeling a bit of pressure to "Play A Different Game" as the saying goes. I don't think PF 2e will kill 5e, but I do think it will survive the coming collapse of the D&D fad better than many of its competitors and end up as a well regarded contribution to the development of the hobby.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Kingmaker's about to republished for PF2e
I was hoping to grab Kingmaker for my 3.5 game since I heard it had excellent domain management rules (although I've seen this refuted in one or two reviews). Maybe the originals will come down in price when the newer fancier version gets published? 🤷‍♂️

The Heretic

I was hoping to grab Kingmaker for my 3.5 game since I heard it had excellent domain management rules (although I've seen this refuted in one or two reviews). Maybe the originals will come down in price when the newer fancier version gets published? 🤷‍♂️
<looks at beloved books on book shelf> Uh...Kingmaker? Never heard of it.

The Heretic

To continue though, I do have a critique for the domain management rules for Kingmaker. They're pretty good but I think they rely on the hex system started with...oh shoot, what was that 2e TSR campaign world? Birthright? Yeah, Birthright. I'm not fond of the hex system, especially this idea that you can only add land to your kingdom if it abuts the hexes you already control.
It's still worth checking out though.

The1True

<looks at beloved books on book shelf> Uh...Kingmaker? Never heard of it.
Yeah. yeah. You know I'm running low on options when I'm looking for PF AP's to buy. I'm up to date with my blOSR wishlist except for the impossibly priced Arden Vul hardcovers. I've got most of the classic TSR modules on my shelf and what's left skyrocketed in price during the pandemic. Even those weird 3rd party products Prince is so enamoured with have become ridiculously out of reach. Hell, even dodgy mid-nineties 2.5e adventures have become differently-abled in their pricing. I just wanted a mid-summer D&D pick-me-up 😭

anyway, Kingmaker seemed like a good one.

The Heretic

Yeah. yeah. You know I'm running low on options when I'm looking for PF AP's to buy. I'm up to date with my blOSR wishlist except for the impossibly priced Arden Vul hardcovers. I've got most of the classic TSR modules on my shelf and what's left skyrocketed in price during the pandemic. Even those weird 3rd party products Prince is so enamoured with have become ridiculously out of reach. Hell, even dodgy mid-nineties 2.5e adventures have become differently-abled in their pricing. I just wanted a mid-summer D&D pick-me-up 😭

anyway, Kingmaker seemed like a good one.
I'm sure you can still purchase the PDF. <ducks>

I like Kingmaker, I've run Kingmaker, it is a good one even if I have sundry complaints about the rules for it.

The Heretic

Also I should add that I've been leaning towards using regions/provinces rather than the hex system for domain play. Blame it on me re-playing Nobunaga's Ambition 2 on an NES emulator.

The1True

Also I should add that I've been leaning towards using regions/provinces rather than the hex system for domain play. Blame it on me re-playing Nobunaga's Ambition 2 on an NES emulator.
Aw man, sorry bro, I just really like me some hexes. I see 'em when I sleep. So satisfying...

Johann

*eyeroll*
Even better! Because all the rules are free, I can literally link you to the explanations the game itself provides.

This is the adventure template section from the Gamesmastery Guide.

Here's one of the templates from that section: [...]
Thanks for the example and the link. My curiosity has been satisfied (though this is absolutely not my cup of tea; still, if one goes for this type of campaign, clear templates may help, especially beginners).

Johann

*eyeroll*
(My chief objection to this approach is to pre-decide the difficulty of an encounter and how it will be resolved, e.g. through combat or a battle of wits etc. I love to leave that up to the players and to the dice (via reaction rolls etc.). But as I've said, this stuff might be helpful for certain types of campaigns. An interesting and systematic overview for sure.)

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Yes. I will finally learn the rules! --- from the retroclone, that's my condition.
Not sure if that will ever happen. It's a very small community, which reduces the chances of somebody stepping up to do it. Very few seem to be interested in publishing modules, which is really the only reason to make a retroclone; those that were interested in publishing have moved on to produce verbose railroads in 5e.

So far the only "retroclones" I have seen are people who really just want praise for their houserules. They are filled with new "cool" stuff, tend to deviate more and more over a startlingly short period of time (universally in ways that add nothing to the game but complications), and end up not being backwards compatible or readily convertible to the original. Pretty much all of them have died out after generating no interest from other 4e players.

EDIT: If someone was smart they would produce a bare-bones ruleset that remained essentially compatible with the original. You would need a minimum of classes, character options and monsters since most would-be players still have the original books. Monsters in particular can be kept to a minimum since it is so easy to make new ones, and modules would likely have new ones built from scratch every time. I expect you could fit it all in 2-3 staple-bound booklets.

Last edited: