Art choices for The Book ... and Kickstarter

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
I believe it was generally decided that cartoons, much like the 1e DMG, were a good choice and I agree. I might supplement it with an actual art piece in some places, and isometric building to make a point, or something like a "generic city art" and "the entry gate of Barrovia." as a juxtaposition.

Maybe I can hire SQUEEN to do all of it. We'll see.

Anyway. This thread is to track suggestions for art pieces. I need a cover. I need interior art.

The nooks name is currently "Bryce Lynch Presents, Volume 1: Writing Adventures for Publication"

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I'd do whatever you want gratis, but I am certain you can do better than a novice's first published pieces.
This book is going to be 1st class, not coach. :)

Cartoons actually sounds brilliant.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Cartoons are a great idea for keeping things light and reminding people that this is an RPG book, not a dry academic text. A lot of the original TSR crew are still kicking around out there and seem to be working for reasonable rates (if Greg Gillespie's books are any indication (maybe drop that guy a line, he for sure owes you a few favours!))...

As for less humourous work; picking out a couple of cheap(er) premade pieces rather than commissioning expensive original work might make for nice chapter breaks? I guess if you're going to offer a deluxe, embossed, gold-leaf, signed-in-actual-blood, leather-bound version for your more rabid kickstarters, you could go for colour artwork...

ooooh ooooh Kickstarter incentives :geek: :
Super-Fan Tier: $100-250. Have your very own room description dissected by the author in the appendices.
Problematic Stalker Tier: $2000. Sip Malt liquor out of a paper bag under the bridge with the author while uncomfortably praising/criticizing his work.

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
My Lucky Number's Two: One for you and I send one to the designer of your choice
Or, or, maybe, A Second Helping of Hash

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
That sounds like Don't Give Up the Day Job - Tier: The price of two books and a conciliatory note from a neutral party.

Going back to art. A recurring theme you come back to often in your reviews is The Entrance to the Mythic Underworld. A really evocative rendering of that might make a good cover or early chapter break. There's a ton of public domain work I'm sure, but something original is always better imho.

I don't know what your budget is, but another thing you might consider is, art for classic adventures usually features one recognizable party of characters encountering the various notable features of the dungeon. Establishing a sub-narrative of a party of adventurers learning and growing while encountering chapter-relevant features/creatures/events might make an interesting example of the art supporting the text?

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Some suggestions:

For the cover--I could picture a group of adventures in a room or cavern with a lot going on--a trap going off, smelly debris, boiling potions, stalking monsters...a spider in the ceiling, characters poking and prodding different things all at once and about to get into trouble. The cover could be a wrap-around for both front and back.

Interior art--I think some of the interior art should be example maps that you find useful. How about a vista piece?

Another suggestion is a typical room with items of interest...plus, perhaps a stalking monster. With this picture, you could point out what you would consider going first in the description and relate it to the picture....so maybe the chest with over-flowing coins is discussed first, blah blah, then maybe the stalking monster--basically a paragraph of your thoughts, then you could discuss some of your examples.

I think an appropriate one would be players and DM sitting around a table. The DM has a thought bubble of what's going on as he/she is describing it.....the players have thought bubbles too but it might not be perfect and doesn't match what the DM is describing (one could be a thought bubble pic of a cell phone, heh). This could also be a cover piece idea too.

Fiverr has some decent artists if you hunt around. I also have a few others that I have worked with that I can share if interested.

Beoric

It's about writing, right? Wizard in arcane laboratory inscribing spells. Ord dungeon architect designing traps.

squeen

I have a notion for one figure (semi-humrous) I think I can pull off in ink that I'll gladly donate, but I really want to strongly suggest you try to get Peter Mullen to do the cover. He's synomous with the OSR and is undoubtedly the best-in-the-business. He recently did an amazing color cover for Melan on his Helveczia RPG, and if you are after a more classic look, his pen & ink is also masterful.

bromeliad

A FreshHell to Contend With
hey, I love LOVE the cartoons from the 1e DMG and would be delighted to draw some light-hearted illustrations in that old-school, fun-loving spirit! Here's two pictures I've done; of course the illustrations you have in mind would be much goofier :p
purple_worm_web.jpg
the greater library sm.jpg

I've got more pics here: https://www.cameronhawkey.com/fantasydrawings.html
Hopefully this is the kind of stuff you're looking for. If I get the opportunity to draw up d&d cartoons, I'll post them here!

Johann

*eyeroll*
I'd recommend a recognizable old school artist (renaissance or not, as you like) -- Erol Otus, Doug Kovacs and especially Pete Mullen are my favorites. They're neither silly/cartoonish nor too slick/corporate.

My two cents. I'll buy the book even if you put a crossed-out turd on the cover.

grodog

*eyeroll*
I'd do whatever you want gratis, but I am certain you can do better than a novice's first published pieces.
This book is going to be 1st class, not coach. :)

Cartoons actually sounds brilliant.
For my still-languishing book on dungeon design, I had been in touch with both Will McLean (of DMG and The Dragon fame, at https://www.blackgate.com/2011/05/11/art-of-the-genre-an-inteview-with-will-mclean/) and Bob Matteson (of Houses & Humans fame, at https://dragonstuff.com/product/houses-and-humans-dd/), and highly love this approach.

Alas Will has died, bu so far as I know Bob's still kicking (although he's definitely pricier).

Allan.

tbdcalm

A FreshHell to Contend With
My publishing bucket list is to commission an art from a late-90s Magic: the Gathering artist who painted a card I particularly liked playing with as a kid. I'd better rush though (no pun intended).

Surprisingly, some do commissions!