Best One Shots

Maynard

*eyeroll*
Hi all,

I run a monthly game where players pick a class pin out of a hat (there are 2 GM pins in there too). Then there's 20 minutes of prep and whoever pulled the GM pin has to run a game. It's mainly 5th edition because its meant to bring as many people into the hobby as possible, but we play some OSR and Call of Cthulu stuff when we get all veterans.

So far I've been running this online (because of the end times and all), but I'm going to start doing in person events soon. Since it's been online I haven't needed to provide much material for GMS because we could decide who runs the game weeks ahead of time and they can prepare.

Going into in person games where people only have 20 minutes to prep, I'd like to have printed out some really solid one shots that are less than 5 pages double spaced for people to run. Some of my players haven't run a game before, so Ideally nothing too difficult to grasp. I'm interested in all systems here, I've already gathered a couple of 5th edition adventures for new players.

So far I've got:
Negotiations in Stonehaven (5e)
A Most Potent Brew (5e)
The Hound of Cabell Manor (5e)
Saving Saxham (5e)
Secrets of Skyhorn Lighthouse (5e)
Masque of the Worms (5e)
The Purple Worm Graveyard (OSR)
Prison of the Hated Pretender (OSR)
Curse of the Shrine Goddess (OSR)
Tower of the Weretoads (OSR)
Well of the Worm (OSR)
The Withered Crag (OSR)
Tombs of the Whispering Worms (OSR)

Do you have any recommendations for me? Adventures I should strike from the above list because they're too long/complicated?

I appreciate any help!

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I've played or ran Purple Worm Graveyard and Withered Crag, can recommend both of those from experience. I'm not familiar with the others.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I've always loved the cover on To Bring Down the Sky.
Just saying. :)

Also, I always recommend Pod Cavern of the Sinister Shroom for learning the OSR exploratory vibe.
B2 (Keep of the Borderlands) is always great for newbies too.

Maynard

*eyeroll*
These are perfect! I do remember reading the review for Mistrunner. Thanks for the recommendation.
Also, can I just say how much I appreciate the inclusion of Scruffy Gooddog as a pregen in Fausen? I'm definitely down with the scooby doo vibes you were going with.

Commodore

*eyeroll*
Also, can I just say how much I appreciate the inclusion of Scruffy Gooddog as a pregen in Fausen? I'm definitely down with the scooby doo vibes you were going with.
I'm glad you like it, having a evil psychic hyper-intelligent dog lacking opposable thumbs is consistently one of players' favorite pregenerated characters. I feel almost bad for the 5th edition people who just have yet another bog standard warlock but what can you do. I really do feel like having pre generated characters is the biggest help when introducing a new system to players.

Maynard

*eyeroll*
20210610_165510.jpg

All ready for my monthly night of one shots! Each folder is full of adventure modules for different systems. This table is in a nook with a curtain over it so the Referee can plan in secret.