Cooking

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Aspic? What is this, the 1950s?

If so, say hi to squeen for me.
Ha! I have a reprint of a 1953 Better Homes cookbook that has - I checked - a recipe for Tomato Aspic. Good guess.

EDIT: Suddenly I feel like we need a "weird books you own" thread.

Beoric

If anyone is looking to get some laughs/cringe at horrors of recipes past, might I suggest killing a little time on this site.
Most of the links are broken :(.

I am stunned by the coincidence.
Not really, DP had the time frame bang on. And here is the page:

20201216_105250.jpg

Check out the picture of "Old-time Perfection Salad", which looks a lot like congealed vegetables. Note this is on the same bookshelf that has my copy of Recipes from Scotland, originally published 1946, which includes two recipes for haggis.

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
I am tempted to make the aspic my signature recipe this year. There MUST be some formulation of it that DOESNT make it terrible. I'm thinking something that looks/tastes like tomato. Something like bloody mary mix and celery juice. I'm still not sure how to serve a tomato jello though. Crackers seem inappropriate and veg dippers won't work.

Beoric

I am tempted to make the aspic my signature recipe this year. There MUST be some formulation of it that DOESNT make it terrible. I'm thinking something that looks/tastes like tomato. Something like bloody mary mix and celery juice. I'm still not sure how to serve a tomato jello though. Crackers seem inappropriate and veg dippers won't work.
Maybe you need to get out of the American 1950s and look across the pond. I have a couple of recipes (which I have never tried) which use aspic as part of a meat dish as more or less a gravy jello. This one is basically cold braised roast beef in aspic, garnished with glazed vegetables:

20201217_105902.jpg

I also have one with pork loin. Let me know if you want the recipes.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Maybe you need to get out of the American 1950s and look across the pond. I have a couple of recipes (which I have never tried) which use aspic as part of a meat dish as more or less a gravy jello. This one is basically cold braised roast beef in aspic, garnished with glazed vegetables:

View attachment 925

I also have one with pork loin. Let me know if you want the recipes.
This is an abomination. :p How many HD?

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
Oh no, the bots finally got Bryce. We're all doomed!

EDIT: GREAT DEALS ON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS! SIGN UP TODAY FOR A FREE TRIAL! CLICK HERE!

Beoric

I notice if you put sunglasses on him Karl Marx looks a lot like Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski.