Dragonsfoot Magazine Adventures--Call Out

TerribleSorcery

Should be playing D&D instead
October 5th is the deadline for Footprints articles for those who are interested in submitting....I can maybe extend it for special cases (*cough* Squeen) but then we may want Bryce to change this forum to Adventure Design, Reviews, and Past Deadlines....
OK Malrex. You are doing the formatting yourself, right... Should I just send you the text by itself then, and all the pictures separately? What would you like? Are you going to change the fonts and everything? What are my dos and dont's?

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
OK Malrex. You are doing the formatting yourself, right... Should I just send you the text by itself then, and all the pictures separately? What would you like? Are you going to change the fonts and everything? What are my dos and dont's?
Cool--ya, you can just send me the text and the pictures separately. I'll use your adventure to try and make it look similar and line up with the maps/pictures, etc. I'll probably use Century Gothic font at 10 size, but I can change that. Is your cover picture separate from the 'cover'? I probably won't use the actual cover, but def want to use your cover art.
You can just send it to: Themercilessmerchants@gmail.com.
Thanks man! this will be great for the magazine.

TerribleSorcery

Yeah I can just send you the cover artwork itself. I thought it might be a bit weird to have a fully laid-out 'book cover' in the middle of the magazine!

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
@Malrex: Schedule is not looking good for me between now and a Dec. 15th work deadline.
No more sketching legs, demon heads, or he-man action poses for me until then---let alone polishing up the adventure-text proper.
I'm hung up on "done right" or "not at all"---it's just the way I was made. Email me if you want to discuss other options.

Very sorry, and good luck.

As a poor-man's consolation, here's a sketch of a river-spirit from a home campaign side-adventure . I posted the grotto map in another thread---having started fleshing it out when our party was nearing Her lair and also thought about submitting it to one of DPNeriad.jpg's Adventure Contests (last January's?). Work happened then too. This drawing began last night as doodle from my desk after working quite late---started out as a dude slumped in a chair with his legs dandling (in the margin of my graph paper pad filled with trigonometry). Why it became this then is anyone's guess.

What's so addicting is a new-found freedom to draw figures from more interesting angles. I never felt I could manage that before binge-watching those Proko.com video lessons and following the skeletal construction process. (Your call if I'm getting it closer to physically-correct now.)

More fun to post it than just tuck in my campaign-book or pitch it in the trash. (GIMP you are my frenemy!). I sincerely hope it doesn't offend anyone (ladies included). Honestly, when you are trying to learn anatomy to draw from imagination, textiles are at a whole other level.

Let me know if it's too risque and I'll gladly delete it.

No photo references were harmed in the making of this smudery....and hopefully my wife will forgive that I just may inadvertently be "borrowing" her as my mental model due to many many years of devoted study. She remains my Platonic ideal for the feminine form.

Last edited:

Malrex

darn it Squeen!
I understand...this stuff takes work. Thanks for the attempt!

squeen

I'm bummed about it too. My December deadline was suppose to be over in August. --- things are dragging on longer far than anyone hoped or expected.

If you find that the DF issue is going to slip into the New Year. I'm game-on again. It would be the perfect over-the-holidays project.

Let me know.

Last edited:

Malrex

I'm bummed about it too. My December deadline was suppose to be over in August. --- things are dragging on longer far than anyone hoped or expected.

If you find that the DF issue is going to slip into the New Year. I'm game-on again. It would be the perfect over-the-holidays project.

Let me know.
Well...its possible it could be pushed back. My #1 thing is to get Palace delivered to everyone. But I do want to get the magazine off my plate and most of the heavy work is done (i.e. editing everything), although there are a few stragglers coming in.

But it's all good!

squeen

Maybe I'll have an October miracle and get my weekends back. There's always hope.

squeen

Had a strong visual image while walking the dogs before dawn. When I returned, I wrote this with regards to the Nereid (above):
Once per day, she can attempt to summon a water elemental (8+1d8 HD) with a 85% probability of success---this ability manifests as a piercing cry that cracks the water where the elemental emerges.
Short and sweet. I don't even know what it exactly means---and I like it that way. (Smoke and mirrors. :))

Last edited:

Beoric

You don't think its weird that a water nymph, in summoning a water elemental, would cause the water to behave like earth?

I suppose ice would be acceptable, but then I would expect some cold theming from the nereid or the elemental. Other than the fact that she looks cold because she's naked.

DangerousPuhson

You don't think its weird that a water nymph, in summoning a water elemental, would cause the water to behave like earth?

I suppose ice would be acceptable, but then I would expect some cold theming from the nereid or the elemental. Other than the fact that she looks cold because she's naked.
Personally I'd theme it so that the water elemental emerges from within the nereid, as tears. It would be something special to be killed by the tears of a beautiful woman.

squeen

Could have said "opens", "parts" or "splits" --- but I like the cognitive dissonance of "cracks".

"Tears" are cool too --- but I imagined something more forceful and terrible.

@Beoric : Cold? You don't get "sunny but overcast" from the image. Dang!...back to the drawing board (some day).

Last edited:

squeen

Once per day, she can pronounce a septo-octave Power Word that cracks the river and beckons a two-headed elemental from the Water World to emerge (85% change of successful summons, 8+d8 HD).
Even purple-ly-er prose. Reaching for dryad-as-force-of-nature.

squeen

Orc-doodle by morning's light. Barely slogging along, but still chasing the dream...
orcs.jpg
The pencil sketch is about 2.5" wide.

Last edited:

squeen

Brilliant!

It is funny how our brains decide that images look "correct" if they imitate common camera angles from photographs or cinema. I actually tried to subtly blur out the background to approximate a shallow depth-of-field lens/aperture configuration.

Now I can't get the image of the orc holding a phone out of my head. It doesn't help I already thought he looked a bit like he was wearing sunglasses.

(Oh! I just got the "9 others" reference. :) )

OK if I re-post this?

Last edited:

squeen

Doodling these little quick character-sketches still seems the best way to unwind at the end of the day---so here's the wayward orc fella yet again. He's been promoted to Frodo's jailor in the pits beneath Minas Morgul. I'd like to imagine this portrait occurs right after our pal jabs Master Baggins in the gut with his polearm to see if he's still alive. (That's how he smiles.)

Ah yes! It's the Good Life for a young orc---being a thug in Sauron's army.... Filthy small-elves!

orc5.jpg
Still not satisfied with the brow/eyes---too goggle-ly/Cyclon. Peeked at a gorilla skull, but it didn't translate into the image the way I was hoping. No-neck makes him look tougher (to me). Cast shadows (whee!). Dungeon stonework v2. Scale mail (meh...needs to conform to the body-contours perhaps?). etc. etc.

Oh well. Rome wasn't built in a day either...
Enjoy.

(hopefully converging on something meaner? Getting quicker at least.)

Last edited: