Dragonsfoot Magazine Adventures--Call Out

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I know a few of you have expressed interest in writing a short adventure for Issue #25 Dragonsfoot Magazine. I want to publish the magazine by around this time next year...which means I want all submissions by October 2020 by the very latest so I have time to edit and do layout and all that fun stuff. I will probably step down after this one to give another person a chance or to see what happens with it...

It's no joke that I suck at 'advertising' and trying to get Dragonsfooters to submit things has felt like a me throwing a ping pong ball at a mountain. I was told that the issue can be big since we just do PDF's and space doesn't really matter anymore. So wanted to do a call-out and see who is still interested and have a place to throw some ideas around if you want. I'm looking for adventures, new magic items, spells, new class or kit ideas, new monsters, random tables?, maybe even a few colorful NPC's....and art! Anything related to 0e to 2e D&D.

I plan to write a short adventure...a Part 2 of an adventure. Part 1 might someday be published in a different magazine..someday...hopefully as I'm still waiting to see if it happens or not...but Part 2 will be for Dragonsfoot...Part 3 will be published somewhere else and so on and so forth. The party has to look for something....so I figured I would do the same for players/DM's and they can search for the different Parts too if they want.

Who else was planning to submit something? don't make me have to pick up the ping pong ball and throw it somewhere else...

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I’m in for a medium length adventure (3 short levels). Working title is “Beneath the Earth Temple Ruins”. Ironically, level 2&3 are pretty close to done and have been play tested. Level 1 is fairly boring, but I want it to be low-level exploratory—as such, it is giving me major writer’s block.

Ice

*eyeroll*
I’m in for a medium length adventure (3 short levels). Working title is “Beneath the Earth Temple Ruins”. Ironically, level 2&3 are pretty close to done and have been play tested. Level 1 is fairly boring, but I want it to be low-level exploratory—as such, it is giving me major writer’s block.
The Earth Temple sounds like a place the Groundwater deity would hang out. Have you considered the Groundwater Deity?

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
The Earth Temple sounds like a place the Groundwater deity would hang out. Have you considered the Groundwater Deity?
Have you accepted the Ground Water Deity as your personal lord and savior? As is written in The Book of Moisture (chapter 6, verse 17-18): "Let the thirsty, the dry, the dehydrated all be brought unto me; for through my liquid consumption the parched shall find succor, and under my watery guidance shall they flourish. So sayeth the waters of the land."

Reactions: Ice

Malrex

Long live the Groundwater Deity!!!

Sounds good Squeen--let me know if you want me to digitize any maps you have or need to bounce some ideas around.

squeen

Thanks all. I think I am good for now. I can't decide if the surface-level map is better 2D or isometric?

Grützi

I'll write an adventure that uses the Castle&Crypt map you send me ;)
Will try to keep the wordcount in check ... but you know how it is ... these things tend to grow nad grow and grow :p
As of right now I have a rough base idea and some background for this thing ... but nothing is set in stone.
If youwant I'll PM or mail you the rough outline and we can brainstorm a bit or you can give me your guidelines and ideas ...

Malrex

I got no guidelines and no word count restriction...but I will be editing it trying to follow the Bryce school of thought (i.e. no bloat). I'm trying not to inflict my bullet point style on others, but admittedly I did it to one submission already.
I'm happy to help brainstorm!! I may need it too for my little dungeon submission...as well as a edit. I'm trying to do 8-10 pages or less for mine.

Malrex

Friendly check in.....people are isolating themselves....some people are bored......now's the time to work on that article, adventure or story for Issue #25 Footprints magazine!!! Give your ol buddy Malrex your submission soon!

Ice--this means a full write up of the Groundwater Deity...crafted by you....could become a reality!!! Think of the fame and glory!!

Deadline--Oct. 20, 2020. Sooner would be better...

Grützi

Thanks for the reminder.
High time I write some stuff down regarding that map you sent me.

Ice

*eyeroll*
Friendly check in.....people are isolating themselves....some people are bored......now's the time to work on that article, adventure or story for Issue #25 Footprints magazine!!! Give your ol buddy Malrex your submission soon!

Ice--this means a full write up of the Groundwater Deity...crafted by you....could become a reality!!! Think of the fame and glory!!

Deadline--Oct. 20, 2020. Sooner would be better...
ok

squeen

Here are a few images I have been pestering Malrex with for my Earth Temple submission. I had hoped to composite them in GIMP and make a scene, but the perspective and lighting would be all wrong. I am going to have to start from scratch and be a lot more careful. No more reckless abandon with free-hand!

Anyway, for now, they go in my campaign book with all sorts of other unfinished and flawed efforts.

I share them here in the hope of drumming up some enthusiasm in the next Footprints issue.

The Goblin King
goblinKing-small.jpg

Cragman
rockman-small.jpg

Goblin-Fey Princess and the Mad Shaman

goblinPrincess-smaller.jpg

My daughter's comment: "Why isn't she wearing any pants?"

Moments like that really make you stop and think. Next version, the poor lass gets some dungarees.
It's cold in 'em dungeons!

Last edited:

squeen

Just a visual sanity check (via ray-tracing) for sketch-art creation --- gold in a cave, lit by a single area light...

...the highlights are tinted for metals, but the brightest do appear white.
gold-highlights.png

Last edited:

EOTB

Yes, but my current time sink is increasing my small skills in the programs necessary after writing is done. I'm not a multi-tasker, so new adventure material necessarily waits. Although it's not optimal, Malrex likely gets my contribution at the bell, judging my progress meter :LOL: