Example Input - Investigations & Gimping

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Yes, although more than just defensive decisions. Basically everything about them. Gimping is DM metagaming. Instead of DMs worrying about players metagaming, reverse the dynamic. Get deep in to the non-performative part of roleplaying that NPC and structure the adventure however makes sense for that NPC's unique outlook without any concern for the players whatsoever, presuming the NPC had no fucking clue these PCs even existed before fantasy yesterday. Really think about what that NPC would do with its resources, location, personality and goals. And then stop. Don't worry about whether that's too easy or too hard. Ideally what you want is the location to be palpably that NPC's space, such that to overcome the space the players are metagaming the hell out of that NPC just to get to the last page, because unless they do there's no way to get a bead on "what they're supposed to do next".

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Yes, although more than just defensive decisions. Basically everything about them. Gimping is DM metagaming. Instead of DMs worrying about players metagaming, reverse the dynamic. Get deep in to the non-performative part of roleplaying that NPC and structure the adventure however makes sense for that NPC's unique outlook without any concern for the players whatsoever, presuming the NPC had no fucking clue these PCs even existed before fantasy yesterday. Really think about what that NPC would do with its resources, location, personality and goals. And then stop. Don't worry about whether that's too easy or too hard. Ideally what you want is the location to be palpably that NPC's space, such that to overcome the space the players are metagaming the hell out of that NPC just to get to the last page, because unless they do there's no way to get a bead on "what they're supposed to do next".
I can't tell you how much I agree with this.

EDIT: To see this writ large, Bret Devereaux wrote a series of blog posts which explain why the Battle of Helm's Deep was lost by Saruman largely because of Saruman's character flaws. @squeen if you haven't looked at Deveraux' analyses of various aspects of LotR, you are missing out.

Last edited:

The Heretic

Should be playing D&D instead
Ack, I feel bad for being critical about this, but I wish you had started with this rather than your original reply. It's succinct. And 100% accurate.

I've considered legitimizing gimping in certain cases where the PCs are known to be opposed to a very intelligent opponent. But then, even with the rationalization I don't think it would go over too well at the table.