Gah! Help me find a pregen for this ruined city of mine!

The Heretic

Should be playing D&D instead
Or two cities, for that matter.

I have two ruined cities that the PCs might want to visit, and I'd love to hear any suggestions more modules or adventures that might help out.

The first is Sannar, the City of Steam. Here's my concept: Sannar's main claim to fame in ancient times were its steam domes. It's in a hilly area overlooking a large, shallow sea (more like a swamp). The domes were a big attraction in the past, which allowed the city to grow. Now the city is in ruins and overrun with orcs and cultists. Are there any adventures out there that deal with rocky domes of steam, steam tunnels, or the like in new and interesting ways?

Eh, I'll get to the other city later. This is already in tl:dr territory.

Please help! I suck at writing my own adventures! I suck at writing period! Aaaaahhhhh.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
No steam...or tunnels for that matter......and its underground...BUT it reminded me of the Domes of the Serpent Folk from Matt Finch's Cyclopean Deeps.

No too helpful, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Check out Grutzi's adventure from the contest on the forum. I think it had lightning and stuff, but I remember steam and pipes and whatnot..

Steam is cool....maybe in some areas the PC's have to use steam to rise to the next level of buildings....or the steam sucks out the impurities of the PC's which begin to form and attack...

The Heretic

Thanks all! Those are all good places to start.
I wasn't exactly clear with my original post. The steam was meant to be naturalistic. "Steam tunnels" as in actual, naturally created tunnels filled with steam. (see I *told* you I'm bad at writing). I think this has convinced me to consider that maybe there is a more technological source for the steam further down, if the PCs decide to explore it.

To give you guys a little background, if you're interested... A big, hidden mystery in the campaign has to deal with this large, swampy shallow sea that borders the hills where this ruined town is located. The steam domes themselves are like big, hollow, steam filled geodes. The people that formerly occupied this area settled here because they were intrigued by the steam and used it for health and religious purposes. Now the city is ruined and the orcs have come in. The orcs now have a reverential awe for the steam, because the orcs believe that the supreme god is a god of fire that has been forced underground (I could describe this more but it'd probably be tl:dr). The cult that has set up shop here for much the same reason. It'll be nice faction play. The cult wants to bring the end of the world and they see the orcs as their inferior playthings to be used and abused. The orcs tolerate the cultists since they venerate the same god, but the orcs seek to use the god to seek power for themselves, not destruction.

Thanks for the leads! This will be fun to put together, if they decide to go there.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Iron Spire is excellent and might work for you---big geodes---but it's all about lightning, not steam. Lucid Crack sounds pretty neat, but I don't own it.

Thumbs up for Cistern too.

DangerousPuhson

So you just want an adventure that revolves around a cult instead of these "steam dome" things you had emphasized earlier? Well you're in luck - 90% of the marketplace is cultist modules! Cults are more common than goblins at this point; they're like the "sword +1" of enemy factions.

The Heretic

An adventure revolving around a cult? No no no, that's as hackneyed as using kobolds or orcs in your adven----oh.
The steam dome is going to be the big feature/mystery if they decide to go to this city. The 'cultists' are more of a red herring. The party already has a bad rep with the orcs (they have a 'holy' spear that the orcs want, *ahem*). The cult interacted with them because they wanted the spear so they use it with the orcs. It's not really a cult so much as a small cabal of wizards that want to trigger the apocalypse to gain more power. Think more of Curwin(?) from the Case of Charles Dexter Ward rather than your typical Hare Cthulhu cultists. But anyway that's me getting too much into mycampaignistheshit wankery.

The Heretic

(oh yeah, I brought it up the cult and orcs cuz I wasn't going too gonzo with this setting. Not necessarily looking for pipes/machinery/etc but am open minded about using them)

The Heretic

The first ten seconds of this are perfect. The part at 22 seconds is true to, but it's not relevant to this discussion.