General Discussion

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Gary seemed to like to keep things unsaid. It's like he was thinking that his readers should be able to figure out things for themselves. Who does he thing he is!?!
Heh. I've been trying to find any rule in 1e that expressly states that various polearms must be used two handed. Back in 1979, a lot of named weapons weren't obviously two handed weapons - that it, you needed to already know what a weapon was in order to know how it was wielded. Length was only of limited use, since spears and tridents can be used one-handed IRL. What did your average kid in 1979 know about a bec de corbin?

The Heretic

Should be playing D&D instead
Heh. I've been trying to find any rule in 1e that expressly states that various polearms must be used two handed. Back in 1979, a lot of named weapons weren't obviously two handed weapons - that it, you needed to already know what a weapon was in order to know how it was wielded. Length was only of limited use, since spears and tridents can be used one-handed IRL. What did your average kid in 1979 know about a bec de corbin?
Or who knew that the Lucerne Hammer wasn't really a hammer, so clerics can't use it after all.

Unlike SOME people I know (*ahem* @squeen), I loved Unearthed Arcana especially since it had a whole section on the polearms.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I loved Unearthed Arcana especially since it had a whole section on the polearms.
That is the most reviled section of the much reviled book. Considered filler by many. I'm a big fan personally as well. I really liked the illustrations and wished there were similarly sized illustrations of all the other weapons in the D&D cannon

The Heretic

That is the most reviled section of the much reviled book. Considered filler by many. I'm a big fan personally as well. I really liked the illustrations and wished there were similarly sized illustrations of all the other weapons in the D&D cannon
It is!?! Shame people, SHAME. I can see being mad at the munchkin crap at the beginning with the PC races and the new classes, but the polearms? That section is fooking awesome.

squeen

Yes. I like the polearm section (but I think I already had it in another publication, DM Adventure Record?). I also picked out a few of the spells to sprinkle about the campaign world.

I guess I just have zero interest in new classes/races. I just don't.

EOTB plays 1e -- DUH! :)
Malrex is 2e.

Last edited:

Beoric

Or who knew that the Lucerne Hammer wasn't really a hammer, so clerics can't use it after all.
Pretty sure there was a comic in Dragon Magazine based on that exact point.

Yes. I like the polearm section (but I think I already had it in another publication, DM Adventure Record?).
The one in the DM Adventure Record isn't nearly as comprehensive. It might have been previously published in Dragon Magazine, most of the UA was, at least in beta form.

Beoric

Yes. I like the polearm section (but I think I already had it in another publication, DM Adventure Record?).
The one in the DM Adventure Record isn't nearly as comprehensive. It might have been previously published in Dragon Magazine, most of the UA was, at least in beta form.
It was originally published back in Dragon #22, with different illustrations.

The Heretic

Prior to June 1986 I expect many players would not have known this.
Aha!

In Junior High I started collecting Dragon, in the 80-100 issue range. I'm not surprised it was issue 110 though. That issue had several articles about Roman and Norse deities, didn't it? That was a very cool issue. IIRC it might've even had a module in it.

The Heretic

I should also add that I was excited to see that John Slater used the same cover art that was used for Dragon #110 on one of his NOD modules. I forget which one. It's a cool cover, the skeleton in the woods near the unicorn.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
My favourite cover is Kostchtchie in the snow with snow geese flying in the bg.
1662741717712.png
That shit gets me on a variety of levels. There was this article of Kostchtchie lore I read somewhere back in the day and I haven't been able to find it since, talking about the demon lord's origins. I think it was a Dragon article. Now I'm kind of wondering if this is the same guy as the doomed knight from the Baba Yaga legend...

The Heretic

My favourite cover is Kostchtchie in the snow with snow geese flying in the bg.
View attachment 1288
That shit gets me on a variety of levels. There was this article of Kostchtchie lore I read somewhere back in the day and I haven't been able to find it since, talking about the demon lord's origins. I think it was a Dragon article. Now I'm kind of wondering if this is the same guy as the doomed knight from the Baba Yaga legend...
I'll have to check that out. Pathfinder makes him and Baba Yaha major enemies.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Anyway, yes, it appears the phylactery as a means of the Lich to resist a final death didn't become a thing until 2nd edition.
That's cause 2e did things right...

HA! *fans flames, ducks for cover, and continues hiking*
Only 500 miles left to go! Im naming my next character Iron Loins! And yes, I dig that cover too! Miss you all!