Illusions

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I've been thinking a bit on how to run illusions. It's a difficult subject. Anthony Huso has two posts entitled "Death By Illusion" over on his Blue Bard blog. The gist of it can be seen in this excerpt from his DM screen:
DeathByIllusion2.png
I am not completely won over about illusion causing actual player death and dissipating after the first instance of inflicted damage. I have been thinking more along the lines of Illusion causing only subdual damage until the PC reaches zero at which point they pass out for 1 round. Afterwards, they wake up with 1-hp/level and the remaining subdual-damage is recovered at the normal rate of 1-hp/round (or is it 1-hp/turn)?

Also needing clarification:
  • when should illusions dissipate if touched (low level?)
  • should illusions only be seen and have no physical effects? (low level?)
  • when should illusions be able to react/interact (only when an intelligent mind if driving them?)
That said, I use Swords & Wizardry (Complete), so there is no Illusionist class per se. I do however allow the existance of some Illusion(ist) spells to be found in the campaign-world---usable by regular magic-users (if they get so lucky).

Anyone with any play-tested house rules (or other systems) that they'd like to advocate?

Last edited:

Two orcs

Officially better than you, according to PoN
The way Archon of ACKS does it is give +4 (or was it +8?) per missing sense when it comes to the Save to disbelieve an illusion (and illusory damage result in knockouts lasting 1d4 rounds). So an illusory Fireball without sound and heat is Save versus Spells+8 to disbelieve, an illusory apple without taste, smell or sound is +12 when you take a bite out of it.

I take those things into account when it comes to players examining illusory walls etc. advanced illusions do have an illusory tense of touch included, those walls are difficult to disbelieve, the super-advanced illusions will even do things like spawn illusory stones that rebound if you throw a rock through it. Most are simply holograms though and basically any scrutiny reveals their true nature without a save or anything.

I don't make illusion dissipate, I treat them the way real Life visual tricks work, once you've figured out the trick you can see it for what it is. Or when you see a scary monster in your room at night, upon closer inspection it's a pile of clothes on a chair combined with the howling wind. Both of those remain but the illusion is gone.

squeen

Interesting about the save bonuses! Thanks for the reply.

Do you find them problematic too? (Yet I find myself tempted to use them more and more.)

I have this whole other cunundrum going on in the campaign too. Polymorph vs. a Disguise spell. I argue that polymorph cannot make one look exactly like another person. Dopplergangers can do that. Shape Change do that, but the polymorph self/other spell cannot. You look very similar---like a wax museum duplicate...but it's not perfect. The reason I limit that is the possibility of too many sleeper agents and imposters. I know that in AD&D there is a chance of the polymorphed creature mentally becoming the "other"---but I'm not sure what that means in the context of a PC polymorphed to look like an NPC. Do they forget their true identity? But they don't have the memories of another so...hmm.

I do introduce a Poly-juice Potion (Harry Potter rip-off) with limited duration that requires a living material component from the creature being impersonated. This leads to all sort of fun scenarios where the NPC being impersonated is kept alive somewhere in chains.

I also have a Disguise spell (below)---but that's more a mental trick. The imposter appears to look and acts like the duplicate because the victim's mind is fooled into filling in the blanks. Ergo, it is a form of Illusion.

disguise.png

Last edited:

Two orcs

If your metaphysics are Platonic I imagine polymorph spells pull their shapes from the ideal world forms.

squeen

I am ping-ing y'all again for tips on how you run illusions. I have a big moment coming up "soon"-ish in the home campaign in which illusion plays a major part---the tower of a deposed Witch-Queen has been left unexplored for decades (despite being connected to the functioning palace) because it is riffe with illusions and traps. So, of course the party is going there...

Looking for more guidance/options/notions (other than just Two Orcs' take from ACKS, many thanks to him for that!)---especially concerning damage from illusions.

In general, it seems illusionary magics should be easier to create/maintain and therefore more ubiquitous.

Last edited:

Two orcs

Make sure to mix real and illusory danger with real and illusory treasure. This way disbelieving everything isn't a valid solution - and illusory monster can harm you by chasing you into a real trap, or an illusory trap forces you to stay and fight a real monster. There are also nested illusions - both holograms and of the mind. You throw a pebble at a guardian, it turns invisible. Was the illusion broken? No, the guardian is real and still lurks there, following you with heavy footsteps. They don't have to be all magic either, certain geometries of hallways can make them seem long while they are short, small creatures can seem gigantic placed next to miniature furniture. The treasure is a fake, and behind the secret door is another fake treasure, one step further is the real one!

Gold paint on lead crowns, sinkholes of harmless green gas, the sound of breathing - an invisible but harmless statue looming. A certain door leads back to where you started - teleportation? No, architectural replication!

squeen

Those are some really good suggestions. I love the last one in particular---never would have occurred to me.
Thank you!

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?

Don't mean to just say "read the link" but if your big moment is coming up soonish I'm not sure I'd have time to redistill what I wrote in the linked thread into one essay. But it gets into how I run illusions pretty thoroughly, which is unabashedly from the "if you believe it, it's real" school.

Last edited:

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
I like how this leverages the concept of players paying attention. I like that a lot.

Is there a danger of pixel bitching?

EOTB

It's possible, but that's a loss for the players if they do. To stop moving is death - if pixel bitching pays off in any event (except perhaps an abandoned location with static traps) the DM should review what they're doing. The illusionist wants to get inside the loop and make them wonder. The counterfeiter mixes his bundle of fake $100 bills a few at a time into many batches of real $100 bills instead of making one band of fake $100s.

The way to counteract illusions is to pay attention and guess right quickly. You're not going to bat 1.000 but every illusion defeated by context and intuition does little or nothing to you. If the illusionist takes many losses of this sort they're way behind the curve, in trouble, and should probably flee.

Most of the time when I use illusion the players never knew it was memorex, treated it as real, and would probably be surprised to find out differently. Because they were caught up in the moment and never became suspicious.

squeen

@EOTB: Thanks for the link. Per usual, it has my brain whirling with your insightfulness. Here's what's at the forefront of my consciousness:

What you propose is deviously wonderful---and also what (I believe) was intended by Gygax/1e (although he seems to admit they are a difficult game element to manage)
  • If the player reacts as if they believe the illusion, then damage is real (including death).
  • If a player wishes to disbelieve, they must ACTIVELY ignore the illusions and risk the consequences if they are wrong. Simply shouting "I disbelieve" is insufficient.
  • The burden is on the DM to be scrupulous in omitting elements that the illusion lacks (e.g. sound), and equally careful to include those elements in most non-illusion situations.
  • Area of effect is an important limiter and should be carefully observed.
  • Amount of feasible damage is also tied to area of effect, lack of sound, etc.
  • Expert use of illusion intermixes with reality. Exaggerated or overly ambitious illusions strain credibility and you adjust the saving throw modifier per situation.
  • You believe illusions are inherently discordant, and should not be corralled with a "safe/reasonable" game mechanic (e.g. max. damage per level)
Have I stated your position (above) correctly? I think it's a great way to handle illusions and should be documented somewhere...(cough)(cough) if only you had access to a blog of some sort...:)

I still have questions:
  1. How and when does the player's saving throw come into play? If a player ignores the illusion (e.g. the wall of illusionary fire heading at him while he stands in a pool of real oil, per your example), does he (or she) get a saving throw before taking damage (if not actively disbelieving)? If they decide to close their eyes, what then? What about if they are actively ignoring the illusion? Is a saving throw required, or are they automatically immune to the damage effects by virtue of their bold action?
  2. Do you (as Huso does above) give the PC an automatic---i.e. PC-intelligence based vs.player-intelligence based---chance of detection? It sounds like you allow for that with NPC/monsters because without random input, the DM is too all-knowing and biased.
  3. Do you (as Huso above) make illusions disappear as soon as damage is dealt? 1e BtB?
  4. Do illusions disappear when touched? For example, an illusion of an passage blocked by iron bars. A PC swings a hammer at the bars---nothing visually or audible is going to make his or her swing rebound.
  5. Why do people (e.g. this Ricks fella) get so defensive and offended when others disagree with them? (Don't bother to answer that.)
Again, I do love that you are encouraging player/DM interaction and player-intelligence. Also, I love your unabashed courage at allowing illusions to be disruptive and inherently "unsafe". Your point about potentially forcing magic-users to memorize (resource!) counter-spells such as clairaudience is another great insight---I think you "get" game balance better than most. I am all about adding elements that prevent PC from ever feeling safe in the face of the unknown---especially at high-levels.

BUT...

I still have reservations about how I'd like to handle things. First, I'm OD&D. We never played BtB way back when, and I don't feel overly constrained to follow anything I don't think "works for me", i.e. my DMing abilities/sensibilities. I do however acknowledge it's best to stick with what has been field-tested, because I haven't the time to play out enough situations to hone an optimal solution. (It's why I am asking you all.) At the end of the day, I am mainly looking to become a better DM.

Also, I don't play with an Illusionist class. Magic-users can find some Illusionist spells as treasure. NPC are not bound by PC rules. As such, I don't have to grapple with some of the issues raised in the thread (too often).

My concerns are:
  • I may not have the chops as a DM to drop all necessary clues that will allow a skilled player to make informed choices. For example, I routinely forget/fail to describe non-visual elements of encounters. Therefore, I am bit in "Ricks" camp along the lines of [paraphrasing] "a PC's character would observe more than just what I describe". Your point about my need as a DM to savor and enhance that sort of PC-DM interaction is valid, I'm just not sure if I will always remember to pull it off.
  • I watched an original Twilight Zone episode recently that was about a mental patience who knew he was particular susceptible to his over-active imagination and knew if he went to sleep he was about to die in his dreams. While I except that the mind is powerful and could cause a heart-attack like death, I also believe the body and inherent will-to-live is also strong and somewhat independent of the mind. It's not a foregone conclusion to my way of thinking that belief is sufficient for death in all cases. I think some sort of roll (saving throw, system-shock, etc.) may be warrented against Death By Illusion--- in addition to belief/disbelief. Yes, that gimps the danger a bit---but still, passing out and waking with 1-2 HP is a real threat (as is wantonly disbelieving a real attack). As is a finite chance of heart-failure.
  • I am on the fence about the permanency of illusionary damage. I originally thought subdual damage was appropriate (i.e. messes you up, but recovery is quicker---i.e. your burns disappear after you leave the area-of-effect, hp slowly come back at 1/turn if and when you realize you were duped). But, I think you may have converted me. Illusions should be terrifying.
  • I also think pre-programmed illusions (without an active controller) should be more limited.
Anyway. I think this is a fascinating topic. In the context of Adventure Design, a vast under-utilized resource. I'll probably post more after I digest for a bit. I am thrilled that the K&K thread was only 1 year ago---I've graduated to rehashing recent arguments! (I probably should read more of what's there---but my browser frequently has issues with the site.)

Thanks to all that have responded---come 'em coming!

Last edited:

EOTB

I think the bullet points are all good rephrasings.

How and when does the player's saving throw come into play? If a player ignores the illusion (e.g. the wall of illusionary fire heading at him while he stands in a pool of real oil, per your example), does he (or she) get a saving throw before taking damage (if not actively disbelieving)? If they decide to close their eyes, what then? What about if they are actively ignoring the illusion? Is a saving throw required, or are they automatically immune to the damage effects by virtue of their bold action?
If the player doesn't suspect an illusion then run saves however you would if the phenomenon were real; no different.

If a player ignores a phenomena because they suspect its an illusion I roll a disbelieve check. Just like searching for secret doors, this is rolled whether a door/illusion is actually present or not. If no door/illusion is present then that was a waste of time for the player and I'm just going through motions. If the phenomena is an illusion and they fail the disbelieve check then I tell them nothing seems unusual. If the illusion was "attacking" them during this process, I'm rolling and applying damage however a real version of that would apply if such were present. If that includes a saving throw (illusionary ogre magi casts cone of cold; cone of cold has a save) then the save is rolled as normal and would halve the damage they get from the illusionary cone of cold.

If they closed their eyes to the fire in the pool of oil they'd get a serious bonus to their save. A rule of thumb would be if you'd give a minus to the save due to their chosen vulnerability to the phenomena if it were real, then that should invert to a bonus if it is illusionary. So if someone just stood there and leaned into the fire to "prove" it was fake I'd only let them fail on a very low roll - 1-3, say. (Sometimes your mind just won't cooperate). But conversely if that fire were real I'd treat any "1s" I rolled for damage as "2s", because the player wasn't even trying to avoid burning in the least bit.

I base everything on buy-in. If you buy-in, you're in a tough spot. Once you've bought in you can't just decide to stop buying in - you can still try, but your conscious mind is fighting your subconscious mind at that point and I give fewer bonuses to the disbelieve check as compared to someone suspicious from the get-go.

Do you (as Huso does above) give the PC an automatic---i.e. PC-intelligence based vs.player-intelligence based---chance of detection? It sounds like you allow for that with NPC/monsters because without random input, the DM is too all-knowing and biased.
PCs are dependent on the player becoming suspicious, absent spells or some such providing concrete feedback to the PC's player. It's not really all that different from detecting magic. What do parties do if they don't have detect magic at hand but think something might be magical? They become suspicious because of something that seems different from non-magical items - but if they had a spell they could simply cast it in a precautionary fashion and know for sure without ever coming across something that seemed "off"; "Oh, that plain sword is magic? Who would've guessed". Same with illusions - "Wow we walked past that wall a dozen times and never suspected it wasn't real!"

Now, will I use exceptions to the above "rule" on an ad hoc basis? Sure, I'm a very ad hoc guy. If a PC cleric would be an expert on what it's enemy order's holy symbol looked like, and I think the NPC illusionist-enemy wouldn't be, for some reason, I might say that an illusionary cleric of that enemy order created by the NPC illusionist had a screwy looking holy symbol without prompting by a player inquiry. I'll start dropping info that something seems different. And to your point about "what if I think I didn't give enough info and my players didn't get what I think is a fair chance to become suspicious" - then ad hoc a save bonus based around the difference between what you think the players received vs what you wish you'd have given them.

Do you (as Huso above) make illusions disappear as soon as damage is dealt? 1e BtB?
I'm not sure what Anthony is reading that leads to this conclusion. The shadow monster spell is referenced but I don't see anything like that in the spell.

Explanation/Description: The shadow monsters spell enables the illusionist
to create semi-real phantasms of one or more monsters. The total hit dice
of the shadow monster or monsters thus created cannot exceed the level of
experience of the illusionist; thus a 10th level illusionist can create one
creature which has 10 hit dice (in normal circumstances), two which have
5 hit dice (normally), etc. All shadow monsters created by one spell must
be of the same sort, i.e. hobgoblins, orcs, spectres, etc. They have 20% of
the hit points they would normally have. To determine this, roll the
appropriate hit dice and multiply by 20, any score less than .4 is dropped
- in the case of monsters with one (or fewer) hit dice, this indicates the
monster was not successfully created - and scores of .4 or greater are
rounded up to one hit point. If the creature or creatures viewing the
shadow monsters fail their saving throw and believe the illusion, the
shadow monsters perform as normal with respect to armor class and attack
forms. If the viewer or viewers make their saving throws, the shadow
monsters are armor class 10 and do only 20% of normal melee damage
(biting, clawing, weapon, etc.), dropping fractional damage less than .4 as
done with hit points. Example: A shadow monster dragonne attacks a
person knowing it is only quasi-real. The monster strikes with 2 claw
attacks and 1 bite, hitting as a 9 die monster. All 3 attacks hit, and the
normal damage dice are rolled: d8 scored 5, d8 scores 8,3d6 scores 11 and
each total is multiplied by .2 (.2 X 5 = 1, .2 X 8 = 1.6 = 2, .2 X 11 = 2.2
= 2) and 5 hit points of real damage are scored upon the victim.
I don't see anything there that's ever led me to interpret that illusions fade after doing damage. I don't believe "shadow" class magic can be used to interpret the phantasmal family (PF, IPF, SF, etc.) In the DMG spell explanations, it has this to say about the 5th level illusions spell shadow magic that mimics fireballs, etc., and which I apply in principle to all "shadow" illusion spells:

Shadow Magic: The caster is actually tapping a power source, even though the majority of the spell is illusion, thus the 1 hit point of damage
per level of the caster.
So when I see shadow-type magic differentiated with the words "quasi-real" or "semi-real", as opposed to "unreal", I tend to put them in their own distinct cul-de-sac of magic.

Do illusions disappear when touched? For example, an illusion of an passage blocked by iron bars. A PC swings a hammer at the bars---nothing visually or audible is going to make his or her swing rebound.
It depends on the illusion. The DMG spell commentary for phantasmal force (in the 3rd level MU spells section) says this for illusionary combatants (fake orc or whatever):

The illusion lasts until struck by an opponent - unless the spell caster causes the illusion to
react appropriately
- or until the magic-user ceases concentration upon
the spell (due to desire, moving, or successful attack which causes
damage).
Note on that last sentence that the successful attacking causing damage is to the caster, not the illusion. An illusion sticking around to puppet their illusion directly is a much more powerful illusion (but the illusionist can't do anything else). One that was not so directed would disappear when struck because it couldn't react to being struck.

For stuff like doors, bars, walls - has the player already accepted them as real? If so, the illusion itself may not stop the hammer but the player's mind might cause the arm to act as if it did. A character running down a corridor with no light could run through an illusionary wall they never saw, that a group with torches would never allow themselves to "walk through".

None of this actually changes physics, so if the group with torches threw a pebble at a wall it would go through the wall instead of bouncing off. That might be enough to disbelieve (huge bonus). But if they accepted the wall as real once there's no certainty their mind will ever accept it as unreal, and treat it as not-wall. If their mind won't accept it as illusion then they couldn't walk through it voluntarily, but might be tossed through it by another.

Why do people (e.g. this Ricks fella) get so defensive and offended when others disagree with them? (Don't bother to answer that.)
To be fair to Ricks, I wasn't very charitable to him either. He's a decent guy, but he represents what I would call the "80s Dragon Mag" school of approaching D&D and I'm very much not. So sparks and disagreements.

I may not have the chops as a DM to drop all necessary clues that will allow a skilled player to make informed choices.
Practice makes perfect. Use it in small doses that aren't campaign changing until you're comfortable with how you want to run it. Then if you think you made a mistake it's easy to mitigate.

I watched an original Twilight Zone episode recently
Run it as you feel comfortable; how I do it may not be for everyone

Last edited:

squeen

I think this is a topic that could have easier fallen within the scope of the 1e DMG. There should have been a whole section on it.

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
I hate illusions in D&D - they're like the "concealed pit in a hallway" trap, in that they cause the party to start poking and prodding at everything, and just generally slowing down play because they believe everything could be an illusion. And like the concealed pit, they're not even a clever "gotcha" trap... just a "oh, that wasn't real? Well, that sucks".

That being said, I think they're easier to run if you keep them simple - they are only "there" insofar as you describe them as one of the things players see when they scan the area. Interaction? Yeah, your hand goes right through it, because it's fake.

So what's the point? Well, you can use them to conceal things that players wouldn't ordinarily inspect by touch, such as stuff hanging over an inaccessible place, or a big pile of dung or whatever. Especially effective if they hide a hazard, and the "trap" of the illusion (so to speak) is that it keeps players off guard long enough (or puts them in the right spot) for them to trigger the trap, rather than the illusion itself causing damage. Also good for disguising something valuable as something mundane, and for setting atmosphere (holographic people who speak to you, animated oil paintings, detailed 3D renderings of cities long lost, etc.)

Illusions that fight you are, IMO, more complication than they're worth. You could use an illusion to disguise something (turn a kobold into a baby dragon or something), but when you start actually fighting an illusion, I think it should be dispelled. None of this "if the illusion hurts you, you die in real life" Matrix-type jank to dance around.

Anywhoo, that's just how I run my table - your mileage may vary.

grodog

*eyeroll*

Don't mean to just say "read the link" but if your big moment is coming up soonish I'm not sure I'd have time to redistill what I wrote in the linked thread into one essay. But it gets into how I run illusions pretty thoroughly, which is unabashedly from the "if you believe it, it's real" school.
I'd missed that thread, thanks for the pointer Steve!

Allan.

squeen

"Illusions" I have used successfully in actual play:
  • a leprechaun Queen of Goblins created an audible illusion of a huge beast bellowing and stomping down the corridor (out of sight) that scared the party out of her domain. (They never discovered it wasn't real---still avoid it.)
  • doors that appear several feet offset from the actual door (solid wall eats knock spells)
  • party members involuntarily disguised as the (real) attacking monsters, making them a candidate for friendly-fire (old X-men comic trick)
  • disturbing sounds and phrases mentally "heard" while underwater adventuring to heighten tension
  • a difficult and chaotic King who was a doppelganger double/triple agent.
  • Drow sleeper-agents "polymorphed" to look like humans
Honestly, I think that's pretty short list. More to come soon (I hope).

EDIT: @DP I like illusions for the same reason I like secret-identities, double-agents, doppelgangers, the priest in B2, etc. --- the twist when the party's preconception get turned on its head. The Big Reveal is a great moment for all, especially when it's played out over many sessions. The one with the King (above) went on for years. They were convinced he was magically charmed despite having bumped into other doppelgangers used by the Enemy. They even organized complex heists to steal suspicious magic-items they thought had him enthralled, kept looking for discrete ways to kill him, etc.

With respect to illusions causing real damage: Can you imagine a guardian the party trys repeatedly to get past/slay---only to keep failing---and eventually realize it was an illusion they were fighting the whole time and they could have walked right past it to the treasure? What fun!

(...and that guardian-trick would only works with an EOTB-style model with normal damage.)

How does 5e handle them? Nerfed or deadly?

Last edited:

EOTB

in that they cause the party to start poking and prodding at everything, and just generally slowing down play because they believe everything could be an illusion.
This is a possibility but it's the same one already existing for traps, looking for secret doors, etc. The solution to pixel bitching, period, whether for illusions, traps or anything else is that the DM is able to "run" two simulations simultaneously in their head - one is what's happening around the party, and the other is what's happening where the party isn't around, and then make the two collide as PC action (or inaction) dictates.

The ideal antidote for pixel bitching due to any cause isn't simplification/removal of uncertainty elements, it's dynamism.

Writing your own stuff helps; the intimacy with that material makes what's happening where the PCs aren't around more natural. But when running bought material even looking at the map whenever the players start lagging and considering what the radius around the PCs immediate location would be doing during this time is sufficient.

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
The solution to pixel bitching, period, whether for illusions, traps or anything else is that the DM is able to "run" two simulations simultaneously in their head - one is what's happening around the party, and the other is what's happening where the party isn't around, and then make the two collide as PC action (or inaction) dictates.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

EOTB

When you're watching an infiltration movie - Dirty Dozen, Heat, whatever - does the party stop and take 5-10 minutes to double check everything while the outcome is in doubt? Why not? Because they'd be noticed and the environment would react. Same principle.

Gamers complain that authors write material where the orcs in a room 20 feet away are just sitting there in media res regardless of what the PCs may have done in the room nearby; that there is no "reaction" notes for those orcs.

And then they go and run games largely the exact same way as the authors they complain about.

Party stops in a dark hallway in a largely unexplored area, with torches blazing, and want to take a turn with a half-dozen people tapping the walls to check for secret doors (or search for traps, or pixel-test an illusion)? "Sure <DM rolls 1d6 or whatever>...you don't find anything. What do you do next?"

It only took a moment at the table, and the DM adjusts nothing in the environment for this loitering that actually took a looonnng several rounds in-game.

The next time someone asks to pixel-bitch something, reframe it in your mind to a POW rescue team asking to stand around somewhere in the camp while one guy looks at a map of the surrounding area. Would that be a smart idea? It may sometimes be necessary because it is the least-risk option even so, but rarely is it the smart idea.

Run your games likewise. The reason for spells like find traps (or detect illusion/magic/etc.) even though thieves or others can pixel that information over time is the knowledge given without sacrificing movement/speed. If the party doesn't want to memorize these spells and use them when movement/speed is to their advantage - if they want to pixel bitch because that's considered "free" - then show them how the environment changes because of that decision.

As I said upthread, the party stopping to pixel bitch for illusions is a clear victory for the illusionist. They have time to deploy other resources, set up other illusions, vector in real creatures/allies that hit PCs on the nose while they're being pixel-bitched out of uncertainty, and generally get further inside the players' OODA loop.

If a DM is letting pixel-bitching pay off most of the time, that's entirely on the DM. The only scenario where pixel-bitching should be the best strategy is somewhere abandoned, where the PCs are trying to avoid legacy hazards.

Last edited: