Let's talk about Barrowmaze

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I intend to run Gardens of Ynn at some point because it will blend it pretty well with the whole fey vibe we've got going on here.
In which case, maybe check out "The Stygian Library" as well? Both of them are easy to drop into anything, but maybe a little too procedural. More interludes than destinations?

If you're happy with your campaign world then Planescape is right out, since that's an entirely different millieu, but you can run "The Final Boundary" without committing to a million boxes and paraphernalia if you want to give it the old one-shot try some day. I think you'll like it since the setting is more about the colourful NPC's (that are really easy for the DM to step into the PC's to interact with) and far-out imagery than trap-finding and tactical set-pieces.
If B3 is too gonzo, then so is DCO (plus it's desperately bleak). One hell of a good read though.
It got slapped down by this site's erstwhile host (much to my disappointment), possibly due to it being a 3e product, but "Vault of Larin Karr" had lots of slice o' life wilderness adventure to drop into a campaign as well.

And yeah, Castle Xyntillan is an absolute gem!

The1True

Yeah, UK1 is super talky.
It's got that Romeo and Juliet story running through it. My only complaint was Timothy Truman (big fan of his comic work) drew this towering, fantasmagoric palace at the end that is WAY cooler (and obviously way bigger) than the comparitively boring Palace of Spires map.
1709715837803.png
This deserved fleshing out! :D

In which case, maybe check out "The Stygian Library" as well? Both of them are easy to drop into anything, but maybe a little too procedural. More interludes than destinations?

If you're happy with your campaign world then Planescape is right out, since that's an entirely different millieu, but you can run "The Final Boundary"
...DCO (plus it's desperately bleak). One hell of a good read though.
It got slapped down by this site's erstwhile host (much to my disappointment), possibly due to it being a 3e product, but "Vault of Larin Karr" had lots of slice o' life wilderness adventure to drop into a campaign as well.

And yeah, Castle Xyntillan is an absolute gem!
Ah, many thanks for all the suggestions. I picked up Stygian Library a few years back as well.

Definitely want to avoid bleak -- my wife gets bleak in the day job all the time -- works with a lot of traumatized kids.

Vault of Larrin Karr! Ran that some years back via Castles & Crusades and had a pretty good time with it. Liked it well enough I picked up Barakus too, but I've been subsisting on a lot of stuff I found here for years now. For instance, I expanded Tower of the Scarlet Wizard and made it the center point of a campaign by dropping it into the middle of one of Stater's hex crawls, supplemented with Best of and No Regerts modules pulled from Bryce's recommendations. That lasted years.

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
It's got that Romeo and Juliet story running through it. My only complaint was Timothy Truman (big fan of his comic work) drew this towering, fantasmagoric palace at the end that is WAY cooler (and obviously way bigger) than the comparitively boring Palace of Spires map.
View attachment 1375
This deserved fleshing out! :D
If only we knew someone who loves making big three-dimensional maps, and enjoyed the source material, who could give this the attention it deserves. :giggle:

If you want to avoid bleak, my picks would be Castle Xyntillan, Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom, Demonspore, or Many Gates of Gann.
Got 'em all! Some day I'll slip Pod Caverns and Demonspore into some kind of Underground campaign, though I still don't have a unifying theme except all the best levels from Fight on and other places. Something will come to me eventually.

Have suggested that the wife DM me through Xyntillan, so I haven't read it in depth. Would be fun to be a player for once...

The1True

A lot of creators seem to have burned out, which is sad. Also, blogging kind of died (although, I'm assured it's going strong, I just have to find new bloggers?) I spend an irregular Saturday tea break disconsolately cycling through moribund OSR blogs every few weeks. It's depressing.

squeen

A lot of creators seem to have burned out, which is sad. Also, blogging kind of died (although, I'm assured it's going strong, I just have to find new bloggers?) I spend an irregular Saturday tea break disconsolately cycling through moribund OSR blogs every few weeks. It's depressing.
At least we're having a posting renaissance here. All is not lost.

grodog

*eyeroll*
Thanks for finding that!

Boy, haven't seen hide nor hair of Guy anywhere since COVID.
Guy’s definitely around, just focused on life priorities rather than gaming priorities these days. I keep hoping we’ll get him back at GaryCon or NTX sometime soon.

Allan.

squeen

Guy’s definitely around, just focused on life priorities rather than gaming priorities these days. I keep hoping we’ll get him back at GaryCon or NTX sometime soon.

Allan.
Glad to hear it. I would like to chat with him at one of those.