New Year's Adventure Design Contest - The Lair

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
Hey forum users, it's that time again... for those who wish to hone their chops (and those among you already crowned) to compete for glory in this, the first design contest of the year 2021! This momentous theme? The Lair!

Show us your best "lair" design, whatever that may entail! Our winner joins the hallowed annals of past Design Contest Champions! See if you can best TerribleSorcery or The1True, our respective gold and silver medalists from the last event! Are you willing to put your money where your forum-squabbling mouth is?! Sign up now!

To give you guys a head start, I have prepared some maps for your free usage (should you need one). Submissions should aim to keep their page counts lower rather than higher, but there are no hard rules in that regard - just have fun with it!

Please reply below if you intend to participate. Submissions are due by MARCH 31, 2021.

Also, judge applicants can apply below - I don't care how many people want to be judges, but just be sure that you can commit to a prompt review schedule.

Hope to have my mind blown by some cool shit!
- DangerousPuhson

RoeeAV

A FreshHell to Contend With
What a great contest!
I would love to participate.

Anyone's looking for a partner?

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
I think a lot of our regular contributors may be distracted by other things at the moment. Bump it in a week.

TerribleSorcery

I'm sure I can justify putting something together for this. Let me think on it, and I'll have a firm commitment (or firm begging-off) in a few.

Guy Fullerton

*eyeroll*
@DangerousPuhson where are the maps from? You made them? The first one (Statuary of the Viridescent Grotto?) keeps scratching at my brain.

Definitely can't commit to a contest with a deadline, but I am working on a lair for my current campaign, so if it's in sharable form by the deadline, I could submit it.

I'm also planning to share something for OSRIC's 15th birthday this year. What are the rules on how public the entry needs to be before, say, June? If I were to submit something in March, could it go to just you and the judges, and then become public (and free) in June? If that's a pain in the rear, just tell me to stuff it.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
could it go to just you and the judges
Guy, if YOU were the (one and only) judge, I'd actually be excited to jump aboard.

The whole panel of judges with conflicting schedules thing did not work out last time...

DangerousPuhson

where are the maps from? You made them? The first one (Statuary of the Viridescent Grotto?) keeps scratching at my brain.
All maps made from scratch, by me, in Photoshop. At one point, I'd put that first map up on Reddit for people to freely use - maybe you saw someone's appropriation?

What are the rules on how public the entry needs to be before, say, June? If I were to submit something in March, could it go to just you and the judges, and then become public (and free) in June?
So long as the folks of this forum can read it, it's a valid contest entry. That includes stuff they can read retroactively after judging, I suppose. Whether that involves a temporary Dropbox link, or a private Google Drive account, or whatever... it can also be un-linked after review or a certain time has elapsed, if you'd like.

The1True

@The1True brings up an interesting proposition: how do you feel about judging entries, @Guy Fullerton ?
Yeah, sorry, I hope no offense was taken, but apart from what I think all of us here wish for (to have our hopes, dreams and enormous egos crushed before the whole world OSR by the host of this site obv) I can't think of a more eminently qualified creator/blogger to look at our work if he's got the time...

The1True

Yeah. It sure would be swell if Bryce could ever spare the time to attend to the forums of his own creation...
I think the deal is; if you want a Tenfoot review, you've gotta have the balls to put it up on Drivethru or something similar. Otherwise he'd be getting deluged by cries for attention from hundreds of us idiots...

Also, come on, he's supposed to be writing a book. So are we actually...Why am I goofing off here again?! :p

Guy Fullerton

*eyeroll*
Unfortunately my free time is really erratic these days, so I couldn’t possibly commit to judging. Even if I could, my tastes are kind of narrow, and I wouldn’t want that to skew the results.

Stellagama

A FreshHell to Contend With
I'm in!

Do I have to use the maps you linked to in the original post? I do have some Dyson Logos favorites, as well as the possibility of using DungeonDraft to craft something myself.

The1True

After churlishly shit-talking Gates of the Gann, I was scared to get ruthlessly crushed by its author, but maybe it's safe for me to crawl out from under my rock now that he's lost interest...