Petty Gods

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
A compilation available here. This is surprising good for FREE (in PDF)---a wealth of ideas and excellent illustration to get your imaginative juices flowing.

Seems like a perfect place to find info about the much-touted Groundwater Deity....if they had only known.

Revised in 2013? Wow. Very cool. It's made my "A-list" hard-drive folder.

(Also taught me what a Manotaur is.)

Last edited:

squeen

Tarvin
(petty god of adolescent adventurers)
One of the common goals of all adventurers is to level. This
13-year-old boy so fervently reached 33nd level in 1981 he has
achieved petty god status. After the indiscriminate slaying of
any PC that may hold treasure, and the dispassionate cowardice
shown in fleeing any battle that his fellows seemed to be losing,
he became a (petty) god!
Nice!

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
That was a cool project. I bought the hard copy. Still haven't read through all of them, but I dig it.

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
I still use Tarvin in my games all the time. Players always want healing, heal potions, etc. So the only temple in town that does that is Tarvins. And he and his temple are so annoying that it makes the party thinks twice about going there. Take something they want and add an interactive element to it.

squeen

Tarvin's Temple sounds perfect---especial if he starts interfering and bossing their lives. One visit is probably all it takes. I can almost hear the moans of dread when the PCs realize the only temple in town is one of his.

TerribleSorcery

Should be playing D&D instead
This forum has so much stuff, every time I log in I notice another thread I missed last time.

I have had Petty Gods on my hard drive for YEARS, but actually only opened it up the other day and really started reading through it. What a funny coincidence huh? Some of my favourites so far are the god of cubes and all the ones that have about 50-60 hit points - totally within range for some adventurers to take a swing at. And that essay by M.A.R. Barker at the end is really great as well.