Quarantine Adventure Design Contest - The Random Generator

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
Damn, this is going to be quite the brawl.

Entries so far:

Two orcs - Plastered Larder of the Tempting Samurai

Rabenwonne - The Flayed Whistle of the Marked Trace

Grutzi - The Witless Vaults of the Cumbersome Crevasse

Malrex - Congealed Witchdoctor is a Blathering Bastard

The1True - Irradiated Paradox of the Volatile Skies

TerribleSorcery - Incandescent Queen of the Gilded Dream

Evard's Small Tentacle - The Jaded Pit of the Virulent Skies

Last edited:

Grützi

All it takes is a little worldwide pandemic to get people interested in their hobbies again.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Lol, let's just see how many of us actually have something to submit in 8 weeks' time! We're big on initial enthusiasm here at Adventure Design :ROFLMAO:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
All it takes is a little worldwide pandemic to get people interested in their hobbies again.
Yeah...with that many...we should bundle them up after we are done with the contest, put them on DrivethruRPG, and throw profits at Doctors Without Borders or some other charity we all agreed upon. Semi-serious here....

Other than that...instead of working on stuff I'm supposed to be working on (shhh, don't tell Grützi).....I got a creative jolt, have my whole adventure in my head, 1 of 2 maps, and about half of it written so far. I was just going to throw in a 2 pager or something, but now.....I have a feeling its going to be longer. GAME ON!

Grützi

Malrex said:
Other than that...instead of working on stuff I'm supposed to be working on (shhh, don't tell @Grützi)
treason.jpg

I'm in if we do a bundle ;)

And I am happy to announce, that I have a rough idea for The Witless Vaults of the Cumbersome Crevasse ....finally.

Ages ago, in the fabled time of myth and legend, the great city of Arak, know as the Gem of Four Colors, stood proud in the lands of old Tarash.
Protected by the Elemental Tetrad, a group of four primordial Gods, the city grew unopposed for many centuries, until the Warlord Ghar Uldun, the roving Hawk, set his eyes upon it.
After years of warfare and struggle, the city was finally conquered and sacked by the Hawks‘ host... its people enslaved, its riches plundered, its temples desecreated.
Drunk with power, the sweet taste of victory still fresh on his lips, Ghar Uldun foolishly declared, that no one, not God nor mortal men, could ever stop him.
The Elemental Tetrad, though greatly weakened through their loss, heard his arrogant exclamation and with the last of their power laid their curses upon him.
The Earth itself opened up and swallowed, not only the ruins of Arak, but also Ghar Uldun and his mighty host.
Robbed of their Wits and their inner Fire, cursed to never age and die, trapped in a maze of mighty canyons and caves that torment them at every move. Such is the sorry state of Ghar Uldun and his mighty host to this day.
But now something has changed and the roving Hawk might stir once again...

500 years ago, a Pit...

No, this is not that.

Crack; the sound of the sundering earth echoes for miles. Midnight, the church bell tolls. Cerulean light cascades from below, unending, spearing the sky, the roiling dark, darker than the darkest night. Thud, thud, thud...it rains, or is it hail? The noise cascades, at first, it sounds like the loud roar of sudden rain, but listen, a bit more closely- it is the wails of anguish of babies, unending.

Outside, the splattering wail continues. The drops, foot long maggot things, fascinating, as they look up with their human faces, wailing, undulating and slithering quickly, towards warmth in search of body heat. The virulent rain continues unending...splat splat splat. The Town hangs, sundered in three, as if pulled into the yawning maw, the screams of people echoing, the jaded light spearing the sky casting an iridescent glow. Deep, deeper in this Pit, water cascades, not water, but congealed blood, flowing slowly through remnants of sharded ruins, older, older than anything here. At the center of the Pit the Church stands still pristine.

Perhaps this is why they called this town St. Cuthbert's Folly.

You are here. It is The Jaded Pit of the Virulent Skies.

Malrex

Holy cow...deadline is coming up!!!
I'll have you know, that I have survived a camping trip....and I f*&cking drew ALL my artwork for my adventure while out in the wilds. There are lines on my stick figures that few can master!! You WILL be awed and amazed!

And to just kill it immediately so my inbox doesn't explode--I'm too busy to take art commissions at this time....and I'm probably too expensive.

But no, seriously...the deadline is coming up...I got to finish writing the darn thing!

Malrex

I heard people may be procrastinating...writing their masterpiece adventure of strange names or nature?

Well then...to increase efficiency and motivation, I declare that I will happily give away 1 tiered level: Pilgrim of the Osseous Road to the winner (40$ value!!). This reward is a pdf and a token for at-cost POD of both Red Prophet Rises and the new Palace of Unquiet Repose (deluxe version, including Screaming Caverns). You will have to wait till December/January for it. (Shhh....don't tell Prince!)

I'm not sure who is judging this contest and don't want to step on DP's toes as he created this contest? But if someone is judging and contributing, I'd be happy to judge the judge's adventure...or whatever...or maybe we just put it up to vote to everyone who is contributing with the rule they can't vote for their own?

DangerousPuhson

If you want to put up an actual prize, I think it's more than fair if you judge the entries. In a perfect world, It'd be awesome if we aimed for a panel of three, as a built-in tie-breaker (if anyone else wanted to sit on the judging panel).

Grützi

Well look at that... one successful Kickstarter and te dude starts throwing around money :p

But honestly: Nice one Malrex

Like I said, I can judge too.
Will still try to finish my damn Adventure but you know how it is ;)

Malrex

So DP, Grutzi, and myself as judges? that would work...would also work if Bryce wants to be the lone judge since I dont think he is contributing.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Why don't we add a voting function to this forum to keep the judges real (since all the judges are also competing...)

The pressure's off me since I already have RPR and just ordered my copy of PoUR on Kickstarter anyway ;)

I'm going to have to hand in unfinished work, die Frau hast just announced we are off on Ferien next woche. It'll be all form no substance from me I'm afraid :(

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I was toying with the idea of dusting off a little Haunted Moat-house side-adventure I had written years ago, as a way-point in our campaign, and entering it in the contest...but I just don't have the time right now to do it justice.

Looking at the old map, I saw the space differently than I had 4+ years ago, and decided to capture the morning's thought before it was gone.
Here's what I wrote.

courtyard-haunted-moathouse.jpg

It's purple, and wordy (for a "read-aloud" section)---but I thought it might be forgivable near the entrance because it helps set the initial mood.

I think/hope it evokes.

(And shockingly, there is no green slime, yellow mold, or other D&D monster-fungi lurking anywhere in the structure!)

Anyway, a small inspiration (I hope) for those who are slaving away to meet the deadline.

Good luck!

Last edited:

squeen

One more tip for the participants:

It probably would have been better if (in the above passage) I had also told the players how they felt.

Something like,

"You feel anxious."

or

"This place is giving you chills."

....so maybe try to throw a few things like that in your entry as well. It will certainly help you win all of Malrex's mad dough.

;)

Last edited:

Beoric

It probably would have been better if (in the above passage) I had also told the players how they felt.

Something like,

"You feel anxious."

or

....so maybe try to throw a few things like that in your entry as well. It will certainly help you win all of Malrex's mad dough.

;)
You are forgetting that you also need to tell them what they do. "As you stand under the dripping water you realize that this place is giving you the chills. You feel anxious when you reach down to touch the white mushrooms, because what kind idiot would go into a dungeon and start fondling potentially poisonous fungi?"

Malrex

Something like,

"You feel anxious."

or

;)
No.

Your writing needs to GIVE me the chills. Don't boss me around and tell me how I feel. "You feel anxious", "This place is giving you chills" NO....you are dealing with a big d*&#!! warrior...or....don't relinquish the power a player has with their character--that's all the (little) power they have in YOUR worlds. You only get to describe what I see, NOT how I feel.

Your description is cool because it DOES set a vibe and DOES give some room for how a player will feel. I like all of it.
The last sentence could use a little work though..focus on the breaking of the silence...I feel like something is missing to change it from 'trying to hard' to 'nailing it'.

"The silence is only occasionally interrupted..." It needs something there....I'm not sure what...maybe a word smith could pop in...but I NEED that breaking of silence to make me fucking nervous as a player. The gentle drip drops is good...maybe its volume is enhanced...the kid...the meadow vixen in heat...those are good, but there needs to be something to focus on that silence with only these things happening.
"The constant, calming water drip from branches bathing the fungi, is pierced by the wailing of a meadow vixen in heat.."

I don't know if that does it justice...and I can't do much better atm (Im totally drunk..Muhaha!) but the vibe of the calming noise 'pierced' or interrupted by that wailing....its like you got all the components there, it just needs a few words to hammer it home...anyone else want to chime in?

And I LOVE the fact that there isnt a dangerous mold or slime....keep people on their toes. Are the mushrooms edible or dangerous?