Science Fiction Adventures

Commodore

*eyeroll*
So I just put out my first sci-fi adventure, and I have to say it's been a good, but very different, kind of experience. The raw *openness* of having all the options is freeing in some ways, but I found myself having to break a lot of habits too. A lot of dungeons have an issue with flight, but I had to assume the players had jetpacks and a freaking starship. My "dungeons" could be accessed literally in half a dozen different places even before the players ask about arc welders or the laser battery. I've run several Sci-fi games before this but having to actually write it all down in a way that makes sense... I see why most Traveller "adventures" were more like idea seeds.

How have you guys managed sci-fi in your experiences? Particularly with in the maps-and-positioning systems.

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
How have you guys managed sci-fi in your experiences? Particularly with in the maps-and-positioning systems.
I ran a tonne of Dark Heresy but that's not really a game for dungeons or complicated maps. Sci-fi does work better with sweeping, open areas and opponents with technological capabilities to counter all the toys the PCs might have at their disposal. Space is fucking deadly so I imagine a space dungeon would have oxygen management as part of the gameplay but I don't know Starfinder that well. I know its companion game Deathwatch had a campaign set into a Space Hulk, a vast edifice of shipwrecks, merged together by the tides of the Empyrean, and inhabited by all manner of foulness, but its vast size is abstracted and reduced to at best a few encounters per area, which is shame.