SQART

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Still practicing my inks. After a sketch by Gary Gianni (from Hellboy in to the Silent Sea)

Last edited:

squeen

I got inspired when I read he's cooking up some more of the web comic. This one has been in my sketch-pad limbo for weeks---inking is a chore.

Last edited:

Johann

*eyeroll*
The latest one is especially awesome! The wind and dynamic posture are great & the background is properly cliched without drawing undue attention (i.e. it immediately brings a certain classic vibe but you refrain from adding a few more suns and spaceships, as, for instance, the newer Star Wars movies do.)

squeen

Thank you Johann. Proper credit goes to Charest---it's really his style, character, and aesthetic I stole. I think his inking on the strip is masterful and that's what I was hoping to learn from by overt emulation.

squeen

At the risk of ruining a decent streak of not-sucking, I'm going to post this one because I am sick of puzzling over it alone.

I know she looks hung over and/or slightly battered because the half-tones came in too dark, but a simple question --- is it bad? "Uncanny Valley" bad? I can't decide and I'm wasting too much time trying to look at it "unbiased". Once you brain learns an object though, you can't un-see it. (...I know flipping it horizontally helps, but just not time time for me---I've now learned it twice.)

Be honest, please. I was try to emulate the pouty-face look in Eliza Ivanova's work because it's weirdly similar to Ahmed Aldoori's sketches, and I kind of liked it...or at least wanted to know how hard it was to pull off. Did they go to the same school? What gives?

Well..., it ended up being hard (for me) so I aborted the sketch and turned in to Wonder Girl (from the Teen Titans) because someone over at the Byrne Robotics forums kept sketching her (TMI, I know).

Help!

Last edited:

squeen

Thank you much! I felt it could have use a bit more spit and polish, but I ran out of something --- probably time & patience. :)

I am very pleased you like it.

Last edited:

squeen

Sketching in an airport. Totally pretentious!

Ink is hard.

Last edited:

squeen

Following a rough sketch of Thorin Oakenshield posted by Justin Gerhard in 2014 --- what a hat!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Last edited:

squeen

One for Old Man Byrne, with affection.

And again with perspective and posture corrections.

Last edited: