SQART

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Black & White Era Hollywood Starlet as a Surprisingly Youthful Witchdoctor

Last edited:

squeen

Here's one from last winter I just stumbled across again. I don't think I ever posted it.
There's something antiquated in the style about it that I still like, especially around the profile.

Troll with Barrel

I wish I could put my finger on what it reminds me off.

squeen

Lady's Choice --- with or without liberal amounts of digital grey-wash.

Tyler Jacobson gets the nod for the elaborate headpiece design. :p

squeen

A few more messy figure scribbles --- a Ghast and a Fighter with his bow (not an Archer class!). Hopefully I can finish up a more long-term effort that's been cooking later today.

Last edited:
I feel there are a lot of ways to interpret the situation that the archer* is in.

That's a good thing. I like it.

*I do not mean to imply that be belongs to a specific class of archers, of course, merely that he is a practitioner of archery.

squeen

This morning I needed to clear my head-hand-pencil interface of a series of failures from the previous evening. So, from Muddy Colors, a well-lit bust by Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse called unimaginatively: Bust of a Girl.

I did not do it justice. See for yourself.

Not very D&D, I know, but it interesting to see the actual 3D source of some of the characteristic shadows on the face.

Last edited:

squeen

Gal on a Giant Flying Turtle!

A handful of profiles inspired by (respectively) Malan, Opena and Whelan

(from a dude who dislikes head-shots in adventure modules, no less!)

Last edited:

squeen

A scribble in pen that somehow has a whiff of old fashion pulp action to me

Last edited:

squeen

It's truly bizarre how the mind can sometimes do more with less.
A 21st Century "Gibson Girl"

Last edited:

squeen

I shamelessly stole this cleric from Eugene Jarwoski, after a K&KA member pointed out his web gallery because of the awesome kobold drawing in it.

EJ's got a lot of great D&D group action scenes, which I cowardly avoided for a solitary (static) figure sketch. I've still got a thing or three to learn about armor and clothes. Also, I was going to restrict myself to ink for "Inktober", but pencil sure is a lot quicker---although I don't like how muddy it got. I probably overworked it.

The resemblance to his character is not great due to a lack of diligence on my part. I tend not to look back at the source material too much after I get going, This fella above looks a little like a low-life bandit who waylaid Jaworski's aristocratic Skalaldi of Bahamut, stole his armor and weapons, and then left him tied to a tree (naked) for wolves to eat.

It might be fun to draw that whole sequence out someday, but here's a quick cartoon "prequel" to the image above:

Last edited:

squeen

Yet another profile with some skin half-tones and rim-light. Nobody's favorites, I know, but I think it's like eating your drawing vegetables. Some artist once said you can screw a lot up in a drawing and get away with it if you just get the face and hands right.

Last edited:

squeen

Bumped into this layout by the artist D.D. Meyer (whose work I was unfamiliar with) and was inspired to attempt to capture the very cool perspective and contouring of the rocks.

My version has an orc in it, and is more combative/less contemplative. :) I think the implied threat level would be much improved if the fighter was outnumbered. Maybe a future redo (in ink).

Cornered!

Last edited: