SQART

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Kinda works for a Grell as well.
That's a good point. My monster pallet is still fairly small. Something borrowed...etc.

The genesis was a sudden notion of how his described lair might appear hypnotic to swimmers above and some complaints over at K&KA that the MM entry was too goofy.

squeen

A little hatching warm-up before diving back into some inking. I copied the Dreaded Leaping Snail from a wonderful Heinrich Kley sketch of two giant snails being raced in a steeplechase.

Last edited:

squeen

Yet another female face sketch in pencil. I still struggle mightily with eyes and feature placement. Keeping the features looking feminine is a very tough nut to crack for me.

Last edited:

squeen

A half-inked hobgoblin sanitation worker (?) with perhaps a subliminal (peak) Frank Miller influence creeping in.

Last edited:

squeen

A giant extinct sea cow...because, at some point in this obsession, everything says "D&D".

Last edited:

squeen

For those interested in process, here are some of the various stages the illustration went through as Maynard patiently waited...

waxman-small.gif

squeen

Shouldn't he be blind? Or does that happen later, when he's thinking about her?
In AD&D, seeing a naked nymph is save or death!

I figured this implied threat of doom lent itself to better graphical depiction than cardiac arrest. :)

squeen

This is my personal high-water mark to-date for D&D illustrations. It was an attempt to capture the simple elegance of Sutherland's orcs in ink, and for some reason I got lucky. If I could consistently produce in this style for adventure illustrations I think I would be satisfied---settling in an orbit around the true pen & ink masters I adore: Sutherland, Trampier, Mullen, Raymond, Williamson, Frazetta, Schultz, Wrightson, Booth and Gianni.

Last edited: