Talking Anime, Fucck

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Good stuff there for sure. With a medium as active as it is, I hesitate to say these things Prince as it delves into things grandfathers say and age is a bias with these conversations.
You are just a cynic, they cry, as the shop fronts are filled with inane bilge, as the galaxy-spanning imaginations of the Golden Gods are replaced with the pygmy revenge-fantasies of resentful cat ladies. You are just getting old, they say, as profundity is replaced by machine-like rote, and history is revised so the midwit can cry 'actually, this was much better, and you were foolish for liking the olden things.' Away with your philtres of waters of the Lethe, quacks and gollums of the intellect! I shall put faith in my lying eyes!

Last edited:

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Perhaps there is some subtle negative affects of increased global communication in the arts. Maybe an acceleration of derivative and repetitive works? Could it stifle isolated, original thinking? Could seeing the vast number of other folks attempting almost the same thing discourage?

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Nah. There was always as much crap being pumped out in Japan as anywhere else with an animation/comics industry. Thanks to heightened demand in the west, we started translating just everything instead of only the good stuff. Now if you're a geeky adult with only a couple of free hours here and there, sifting through the shit to get to the rare pearls is almost insurmountable and utterly disheartening.

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Nah. There was always as much crap being pumped out in Japan as anywhere else with an animation/comics industry. Thanks to heightened demand in the west, we started translating just everything instead of only the good stuff. Now if you're a geeky adult with only a couple of free hours here and there, sifting through the shit to get to the rare pearls is almost insurmountable and utterly disheartening.
Correct, but we are talking peak performance here. Nowadays it is painfully easy to get a consensus view on what is the best stuff, and if you want to inject a bit more time, you can consult some sort of review blog.

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
mashoku tensei is good fantasy! Its isikai but maybe the best of the type. The world feels great

Shout out to Ranking of Kings

Cyberpunk Edgerunners and Made in Abyss!

Anno made Eva which prince mentioned! What did you all think of the last movie?

Also have you seen his Sin Godzilla - Shin Ultraman and Shin Mumen Rider?

Quite the streak of fun quality film he is putting out as of late imo