Talking Anime, Fucck

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
ODDTAXI

Its great walruses. Shows what you can do with strong characters and forces revisited throughout a campaign

Before you plan your next castle, how would the past have beef with you or your friends

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I was going to weigh in and say I havn't seen anything worthwhile/non-creepy since Planetes other than the odd Ghost in the Shell spinoff/reboot but then I remember that Dorohedoro fucking rocked my universe last year! That is some amazing weird/dark fantasy!

The anime/manga market is flooded. I miss the late 80's/early 90's when only the truly worthy got translated. The older I got, the more a lot of this stuff felt like visiting your old highschool after you've graduated.

Osrnoob

Give this one a go!

I would say yes this is growing old logic. But its also true that back in our day the money was not there to translate many good things that got left behind!

There are many great examples of this

The industry is way bigger now and like self published books there are more good things out there but also more crap

There is so much anime now that its impossible to keep up

Even within anime there are like the rest of the internet

Everyone.is in there own bubbles

Osrnoob

Planetes is sooo good! I love that one

Gits is classic but yeah the spin offs suck so bad lol. the TV show s1 and the og movie sweet though

Sounds like you would like Megalo Box! It has a great 90s feel too it. Sports and cyberpunk!

You might like Psycho Pass season 1! Skip the rest its kinda like a GiTS story of declining quality

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Original Berserk is worth watching, as is Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I enjoyed City Hunter more then I suspected, even if the pervert elements have not aged well.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures is of course, a work of profound homoerotic genius.

Tehknolyze is the best cyberpunk/nihilistic anime and I will fight you on this

There is the usual Full Metal Alchemist to mention. Death Note is excellent for normies. I enjoyed Knights of Cydonia as proper space opera.

I find movies are more watchable sometimes, Anime is an inherently aesthethic medium so burning 200k on animation in 1.5 hours is the ideal.
Ghost in the Shell, Jinro the Wolf Brigade and Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind are all terrific stuff.

Someday Legend of the Galactic Heroes becomes feasible, but not this day.

Maynard

*eyeroll*
I find movies are more watchable sometimes, Anime is an inherently aesthethic medium so burning 200k on animation in 1.5 hours is the ideal.
Ghost in the Shell, Jinro the Wolf Brigade and Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind are all terrific stuff.

Someday Legend of the Galactic Heroes becomes feasible, but not this day.
I agree movies or OVAs are generally superior in quality and generally what I turn to when introducing people to the medium. I find with Anime you have to treat it like it's own version of TV instead of a genre in terms of expectations. For every Twin Peaks there are 600 tawdry shows like House Hunters, Cavemen, Ghost Whisperers, Jerry Springers, and infomercials. I started enjoying it a lot more when I just watched one show a year that was pretty universally acclaimed or hyped up by friends with good taste. Some of my favorite movies are the works of Satoshi Kon.

Also LofGH is definitely one of those shows and absolutely worth it.

Osrnoob

Fs in the chat Kon

PARANOIA AGENT

M ACTRESS

Tokyo Gs is a Christmas classic

Us zoomers made anime big this year with Mugen Train, sucks that means more Springer

Osrnoob

that cuts out a lot of anime right? Avatar and Arcane / us stuff is what I can think of?

ddid not mean to unnnderrrlinme whhyyy

Maynard

*eyeroll*
Yeah I watched Arcane. The only time I have for tv is multitasking when I have a rote assignment. With subs I have to pay too much attention for that.

Melan

*eyeroll*
Golgo-13 is great; the first full-length cartoon from 1983 is the best of it, but the much later TV series series is not too shabby. Especially if you keep thinking "Connery-era Bond sure wasn't violent and depraved enough, and the hero could have been a bigger asshole."

Unlike a lot of anime, it is highly inventive in its visuals, less bound by conventions (or rather, it predates many of these conventions).

Osrnoob

The era and characters reminds me of Lupin! But those screen shots are really something!

Im gonna have to watch that! Thats super cool Melan

Osrnoob

Good stuff there for sure. With a medium as active as it is, I hesitate to say these things Prince as it delves into things grandfathers say and age is a bias with these conversations.

The sheen of childhood.

But what came out of Macross to Gundam, Miazaki and Grave Fireflies with regards to War to eventually the deconstruction in Eva and Utena is a pivotal period for sure.