The Alexandrian

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead

I found this very refreshing as a wealth of his material has been book length text with reccomendations of how to improve these hardcovers. Straud and Dragon Hiest are examples but there are book length word counts of material per hardcover in cases

I found it so refreshing from the guy that says and many listen want to play X wotc book right? Read my Y book on how to fix it

This guy here says, yeah not worth
Refreshing

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Some of Alexander's advice is pretty good, but a lot of his fixes and systems add more reading and complexity than the things they purport to fix.

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
100% - I breifly thought about Dragon Heist because people said how good it was with the fixes. Its a gamblers falac though, the sunk cost is way too high.

For him in that first link I posted to say nah ? No rec, thats huge

Tells you a lot I think

Last edited:

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
His hexcrawl and three-clues/node-based stuff is pure gold though.

I've seen arguments for and against his adoption of the improv 'yes-and' rule and would tend to mostly agree with him. Sometimes it's a stretch, especially if you're used to being the god at the table. It's so much easier to say NO and pigeonhole your players into the game you want them to play. I am still very much learning this style. It takes a great deal of practice, nimbleness and forgiveness all around.

Two orcs

Officially better than you, according to PoN
Some of Alexander's advice is pretty good, but a lot of his fixes and systems add more reading and complexity than the things they purport to fix.
I think his fixes are useful exercises and illustrations of game design more than anything. Entertaining reads for sure. I think the Wavestone Keep competition perfectly illustrates how taking a general idea and making something new from the ground up can yield great results and faster than tweaking and patching a flawed structure.

Beoric

His hexcrawl and three-clues/node-based stuff is pure gold though.

I've seen arguments for and against his adoption of the improv 'yes-and' rule and would tend to mostly agree with him. Sometimes it's a stretch, especially if you're used to being the god at the table. It's so much easier to say NO and pigeonhole your players into the game you want them to play. I am still very much learning this style. It takes a great deal of practice, nimbleness and forgiveness all around.
I think I found the first few in his hexcrawl series useful, but after that it was stacking on procedure after procedure and got unwieldy.

The 3-clue/node based stuff would be great for designing a published adventure, but I have found it to be a lot of extra work for a home game.

I'm not sure he does use "yes, and", even though he is an improve dude IRL. I quite like his "Default to Yes" article, but I think it says something different.

I think his fixes are useful exercises and illustrations of game design more than anything. Entertaining reads for sure. I think the Wavestone Keep competition perfectly illustrates how taking a general idea and making something new from the ground up can yield great results and faster than tweaking and patching a flawed structure.
I'll buy that.

Beoric

I've never used any formal writeups like that. I have definitely incorporated other people's stories about how they ran various modules though. It is why I think certain modules end up with a higher reputation than is strictly warranted by their text; the module is what is written in the text, plus 40 years of DMs talking and writing about how they interpreted/modified/expanded that text, much of which is now part of the collective (DM) unconscious.

On reflection, I probably have picked out one or two items out of that sort of post, but I find the bulk of the material one of (a) too campaign specific, (b) not conducive to my style, or (c) not really an improvement. I find the sorts of conversations we have in this forum to be generally more interesting, and more useful.

Like, imagine if we took a classic module that doesn't actually get a lot of write-ups, like D1, and hashed out various ways of approaching it, or handling movement through the tunnels at the table. Or really any module that someone was thinking of running. I could totally get into "module club".

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I tried someone's how-to for the original DCO but it didn't answer any of my (many) questions satisfactorily, though it did help by offering a link to Gus' (I think?) map of the dungeon.

A lot of the difficulty with other peoples' notes is they think differently than you, so their cheat sheets may not work for you.

I have only passively followed the Alexandrian's remixes since I have no intention of picking up any of these 5e products, but it does seem like what he does offer is an expansion of undetailed areas of the adventures which, whether his notation style works for you or not, should still be useful.