The Setting

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Here he is again talking about Exposition --- something we usually call Background in modules.
It is the background information on the characters and setting explained at the beginning of the story. The EXPOSITION will often have information about events that happened before the story began. The EXPOSITION is often the very first part of the PLOT.
His warnings are apropos. Be subtle...subtext. Let your players absorb it from the environment. etc. Don't be a foolish n00b and blab it all out up front or broadcast it with a megaphone. Let it unfold naturally and be discovered by active exploration.

Last edited:

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Another podcast that disects elements of storytelling. Of course, this is semi-orthogonal to writing a D&D adventure because (in theory) we are just setting the stage, and the story happens as a result of the player's actions---nevertheless, I think when we write a good adventure there is a nominal story that is "going to happen", unless it gets deflected by the PCs. So there still may be some utility in getting familiar with this craft.