Recent content by Beek Gwenders

1. B

The state of Post-OSR content

This is probably the best BROSR interview I know of to get an idea of what they’re talking about and the type of campaign they are running, and it doesn’t come with the combative interplay between blowhards that other interviews have (well, not much anyway :)): Secrets of the BROSR: Interview...
  2. B

I agree, the ideas of the grand campaign/time have been just sitting there all the time in the OD&D/AD&D texts all these years, maybe popping up occasionally in forums or obscure blogs (Nagora’s?), but never really getting anyone of significance (that I’m aware of at least) to pay much attention...
  3. B

i have a feeling you might unfortunately be right. The only positive I can see at this stage (other than QB with his huge audience also summarising the same play style as the BroOSR), is that the key elements to understanding the AD&D texts (and indeed game play) - Time and the grand campaign -...
  4. B

The most common mistakes that are the easiest to avoid?

Ha ha, don’t worry, I’m not that fragile and a bit of combativeness is always preferred (y) Not putting the maps at the beginning of a level is not a common mistake, it’s just a preference. I think this was my point too, I can’t imagine asking players to put their current campaigns on hold to...
  5. B

100% disagreement on this point as a common mistake, this is just your preference :) I would never run or even read an adventure by page-flipping, I would always print out the map so I can view it at the same time. It doesn’t matter where it is, in fact it can be easier if all of the maps are...
  6. B

I think having someone else at least look over it and see if it makes sense/can be run is enough if you can’t get GMs to actually play it. Getting time to just randomly play an adventure someone wants me to run sounds simple, but with the reality of ongoing campaigns (which the GM’s players...
  7. B

Wavestone Keep Adventure Design Contest

Picked it up, happy with what I’m looking at so far. Good work.
  8. B

Surgerock Vault for Bryce's contest

Got this one too Malrex, love your work.
  9. B

Tidal Terror Tower for the Wavestone Keep Contest

Picked it up, looks interesting, good job on such a short time frame.
  10. B

Currently dealing with the numerous results of experimental fertility treatment at Hyderabad

Currently dealing with the numerous results of experimental fertility treatment at Hyderabad
  11. B

SQART

Never heard of LaTex, but that looks pretty good. I hope you get the time and inclination to put it out there, these kind of home-campaign products are great. And vanilla is good, just like ‘odd and weird’, as long as it is good, it’s good;) Bad odd and weird is just as bad as bad vanilla, and...
  12. B

SQART

Hey squeen, this looks really great. This is a ‘write-up’ you say, but is this going to get published? The presentation, art and layout are looking pretty good, If this is just a small snippet of the whole thing, I’d be interested in the whole thing getting out there some day.
  13. B

Bryce said...

Yeah seriously, WvsAT is not a big deal at all (as EOTB has illustrated). The key point for me is getting the players to remember the adjustments; this is easy, I make sure I track the penalties (I know the ones for common weapons by heart) when they attack monsters and tell them: ‘You aren’t...
  14. B

A Historical Look at the OSR

@Palindromedary Great contribution, I don’t follow all of the blogs, but this is the most significant (and interesting) series of blog posts for 2021 IMO. Good work. I hope word of this gets spread wide and far. I understand your point about not getting too engaged with DD over at K&K...
  15. B

A Historical Look at the OSR

I think this series of blog posts on the history of the OSR warrants further attention: A Historical Look at the OSR - Part V It’s probably time that the OSR looked to redefine itself; it really has become quite a mess. Happy gaming.