Basic Character Pregens

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I'm breaking out the Red Box to play some B5 'Horror on the Hill' with the nephew and niece while on vacation this summer. I'm looking for some 1st lvl, Basic DnD pregens, slightly more fleshed out than just the string of (oh so shitty) stats available on the back cover. Anybody know of a good BX pregen resource? I took a look at this one over at Dragonsfoot. It was alrightish I guess...

My nephew has been struggling to get a game going with his friends/family and I think they're getting bogged down in character generation/screwing around buying equipment in town every time, and just need to get dropped right into the shit if they're ever going to get some momentum going...

(Truth be told, I think he's struggling with his friends because he's playing out of my sister's old Red Box and his friends are into 5e/Twitch/YouTube, but I think in the long run, he'll benefit from picking up the fundamentals from the classics before buying his own books.)

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I don't know B/X pregens (just the AD&D Rogues Gallery), and in general have not used many pregens over the years. B/X role-up can be fairly quick, no?

I bet Allan (@grodog ) has got something squirreled away.

The1True

I gave up and spent a couple of hours pressing refresh on some online B/X generators. My desire to produce even-numbered stats in the mid-to-high teens was overwhelming and I needed to hand over accountability to the machine :p

Really, all I get out of an 18 is a +3, you guys? I think I'm going to throw up :sick:

Seriously, I can't get over this shit. ALL missile weapons do 1d6 dmg. It literally doesn't matter that this MU only has a 9 INT, as long as I can goose his DEX over 13 so he can stay alive long enough to maybe get a second spell every day some time in the future. This is fucking killing me! Obviously, my brain had somehow blocked out this childhood trauma.

squeen

Interesting. That de-focus on stats is such a wonderful aspect of classic D&D. S&W in particular (which is way better than B/X IMO and closer to OD&D) plays it down even further than AD&D. Scores in the 9-12 range are "normal" and wholly sufficient to succeed in the game.

When you eventually need a bit more variety than beginer-1d6-everything, AD&D comes to your rescue without a total overhaul.

Again, it's not about what's on the character sheet, it's how you play, i.e. player skill. Not who you are, but what you do. That's so fundamental to having a great experience with D&D. Don't fight it! D&D is not suppose to be a video game. Stop crunching the numbers in your head and shift focus away from combat and individual skill checks. Narcissistic self-obsession is not healthy even in game persona. It literally strangled the amazing thing that was D&D while it was still in its crib. I watched it happen. People brought their real-world baggage into the fantasy realm.

Luke, let go of your [abilities] and use the Force.

Beoric

I gave up and spent a couple of hours pressing refresh on some online B/X generators. My desire to produce even-numbered stats in the mid-to-high teens was overwhelming and I needed to hand over accountability to the machine :p

Really, all I get out of an 18 is a +3, you guys? I think I'm going to throw up :sick:

Seriously, I can't get over this shit. ALL missile weapons do 1d6 dmg. It literally doesn't matter that this MU only has a 9 INT, as long as I can goose his DEX over 13 so he can stay alive long enough to maybe get a second spell every day some time in the future. This is fucking killing me! Obviously, my brain had somehow blocked out this childhood trauma.
Just try to enjoy the monster stat blocks. 🤣

The1True

Don't fight it!
I'm trying to go limp and just let it happen, but reading Reddit threads of people bending themselves into pretzels trying to rationalize these terrible Thief Ability percentages (15% to Open Locks!!!) is making my head hurt. I'm just trying to figure out how we used to move into position to backstab! One zen-master finally stepped in and said that he hand waves most situations and only uses the tables for the really tough/ambiguous stuff. Okay but...sorry, I appear to be bleeding out of one ear and I can't see anymore out of my left eye...
Yeah, I remember what a breath of fresh air the AD&D (1d8) longbow was. I used to pick on the BECMI guys in the school library, like there was a lower strata of nerd in the games club :p

Just try to enjoy the monster stat blocks.
Where are their ability scores? What if the fighter wants to armwrestle a bugbear? What if that one weird guy who didn't dump their useless CHA stat wants to bluff the Thoul? It burnses us!

All jests aside, I'm a little looking forward to the simplicity of this. Half these pregens have <4hp. There's going to be a lot of hiding/negotiating/running away.

Also, THOULS you guys. How did these things not make it into the wider game? They are truly the best. monster. evar.

Last edited:

squeen

Also, THOULS you guys. How did these things not make it into the wider game? They are truly the best. monster. evar.
Is this what you are referring to?

I would suggest that, especially for a more basic game, you have to expect that the DM fills in missing or ambiguous mechanics like an artist---and like art, some execution is good and some is bad. Finding a creative, fair, and deft DM is a joy.

Since this is not compatible with mass marketing, later editions moved towards PC skills and abilities as catch-alls for a wide variety of situations---cutting DM rulings and improvisations out of the loop. IMO, this has the unfortunately side-effect of turning adventuring into more of a numbers (or board/bored) game. As with the case against AI, I prefer allowing a living person to keep this creative role.

The1True

Is this what you are referring to?
Yeah man! But I find the author's dismissive tone a little ignorant. A regenerating hobgoblin is an absolutely savage surprise left-hook to throw into a low-level combat. A whole tribe of these things would be tedious, but as mentioned in the description, using one as a bodyguard or a lone cavern hermit is amazing. In 3e terms, they're powerful as shit, but they're pretty doable in the old game. The paralysing touch is just icing on the cake. It's a beauty for when your PC's have started disrespecting humanoid encounters.

Finding a creative, fair, and deft DM is a joy.
Yep, we've had this discussion. I agree 100%. But, later editions make the game less dependant on finding a fair and deft DM. This has the effect of empowering rules lawyers, which I believe you despise, and that's fair. It's hard to strike a balance between the word of the law and the spirit of the law. I agree that AD&D comes close, and I love reading Anthony Huso's impassioned articles to that effect, but IM(utterly biased)O, they were a snarled mess, and I was glad to jump ship when 2, 2.5 and 3 came along. If you have, or are a great DM, there is beauty and perfection in AD&D, B/X and even BECMI. You're never going to sell me on the old white box 0e though.

squeen

You're never going to sell me on the old white box 0e though.
While I tend to agree, I'd take it before B/X and/or BECMI. Swords & Wizardry Complete is a nice compromise for OD&D. Excellent presentation. DM hand-holding and striped down (0e) rules with many gaps filled from OSR discussions and practical houserules.

The1True

Report from the front:
We're having a good time with BECMI! These kids are absolutely murdering their henchmen though. They finally had to limp back to town to hire more. Horror on the Hill is an utterly savage ordeal for Basic characters (my most recent playthrough, I converted it to 3.5 and the more robust characters had far less trouble.)

I'm loving morale, which is a good prod for clueless players if their henchmen start to get shaken and quit on them.
I'm loving henchmen and the absolute necessity for torchbearers and meat-shields.

Even with the simple play-throughs in the redbox, the nephew definitely needed to play the game with someone who's played it before him. There's so much that needs to be transmitted through play that, though it can be found in the books, still isn't clear or intuitive.

Holy crap Sleep used to be a brutal spell, eh!

Beoric

I'm loving morale, which is a good prod for clueless players if their henchmen start to get shaken and quit on them.
I'm loving henchmen and the absolute necessity for torchbearers and meat-shields.
Some late edition players seem to love their pets that they have complete control over. But I think that henchmen, hirelings and allies of uncertain reliability, and with minds of their own, are a far superior game element.

Hell, I do this with mounts.

The1True

Sadly, we didn't get very far in the end, managing just two forays up the hill and never getting past the stairs down to the dungeon. My (definitely ADHD) niece got disruptive and started trying to eat the monsters she killed, chasing down fleeing monsters when they tried to take the corpses of their comrades with them. Her brother got really angry about this screwing around, but I calmly redirected both of them (with more monsters...)

I passed on the adventure to him when I left, since he will have to run it now. My one piece of advice to him was to point out that though he got really angry at his sister at the time, when he was talking to his parents and friends later about the adventure, it was her chaotic actions that featured primarily in the narrative. The point being; that everyone's got something to bring to the table. She just needed a "Yes, and" rather than a "NO!" followed by verbal abuse. In the end, we had a story to tell instead of a big fight and a ruined gaming session. Pretty eye-opening for both of us.

To summarize:
-Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec has the worst air quality on Earth. How the hell can just everything be on fire AND the humidity be 100%?
-Air Canada is still the worst national carrier on the planet.
-Do not fuck with Lufthansa gate crew. They are utterly compassionless robotfuckers (still not the worst airline though...).

Johnny F. Normal

A FreshHell to Contend With
-Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec has the worst air quality on Earth. How the hell can just everything be on fire AND the humidity be 100%?
That sorta nails why I only lasted about 18 months in the hell hole known as Ottawa.
Death by humidity and then the politicians scurry out and eat the corpse.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Ahh...Horror on the Hill.....5th grade I think? Cold, tired, and battered..the group faced off the dragon and stupidly we attacked.....The DM thought we were fools......
But that is when the injured/half-dead Baftar the Barbarian (a fighter) charged the dragon and rolled a 20 with his bastard sword. I cant remember if we won the fight or not...all I remember is that 20. Love those moments.

Johann

*eyeroll*
Interesting. That de-focus on stats is such a wonderful aspect of classic D&D. S&W in particular (which is way better than B/X IMO and closer to OD&D) plays it down even further than AD&D. Scores in the 9-12 range are "normal" and wholly sufficient to succeed in the game.
Yep. Swords & Wizardry Continual Light takes it even further - a +1 at 15 and beyond and that's it. No higher bonuses and no penalties at all. Lovin' it.

As for the original problem, I suggest ready-made equipment packages ('The Spelunker', 'The Outdoorsman' etc.). Pick one, and off you go.

Better yet, start them at the dungeon and only then ask them what they have picked. That way, they can't talk to a shopkeeper to get some custom-made item or haggle over stuff.

My upcoming game, In the Realm of the Nibelungs, a setting for S&WCL, makes things even simpler: In the mythical underworld (credit to Philotomy), various magical laws apply. One forces PCs to limit themselves to three items each! These are then subtly enchanted, so a waterskin can be passed around forever (but beware of trying to fill a basin with it -- it runs out normally and loses its enchantment).

That way, selecting equipment is both simple and interesting. Should we really bring a rope or can the thief handle climbing? A backup weapon? Really? And so on!

(My second playtest is underway. I hope to publish the introductory adventure in English, too. The game itself is in German.)

Johann

*eyeroll*

[...]

Holy crap Sleep used to be a brutal spell, eh!
Yes, yes, yes! It's always nice to have henchmen -- they are like redshirts in may ways, i.e. their frequent demise drives home the point that the game is dangerous. So your 5th-level fighter survived the hellhound's breath. Guess what? Every henchmen in the area of effect is *toast*. Save for half ain't gonna save any of them.

Also, I'll keep harping on about my upcoming game (see above), as it is designed to adress this very issue: Another magical law requires intruders in the mythical underworld or wilderness to travel alone or at a party size of seven.* A mystic number, sure, but more importantly, it means my players (up to seven, though usually some can't make it) will typically bring a torchbearer, wardog etc.

(And once again, In the Realm of the Nibelungs is fast. No need to agonize over how many henchmen to bring (or how to pay them, but that's another story), just fill up the party to exactly seven with men and/or dogs etc. and off you go.

And sleep rules...

*Twins, newlyweds, Hansel & Gretel etc. count as one. And if the party does not follow the rule, the DM makes reactions rolls with 1d6 rather than 2d6 (1-3: catastrophic, 4-5: unfavorable, 6-8: default according to creature (e.g. "hungry" for a predator) etc.

Last edited: