SQART

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
A wandering sketch that was straight-to-ink-without-a-plan. Still not quite clicking, but I'm trying to get back into the swing. This one was done during a long telecon. In the end, the brush pen came out and "brought the black big-time". I don't hate (all of) it.

squeen

I got carried away copying a retro-face from a Bilquis Evely Supergirl cover. I whimped out and pencil-shaded it rather than trying to ink it as I originally intended.

Yes. I know. This is not the D&D aesthetic any of us are looking for...

Another Evely portrait reproduction using a brush pen. Very Flash Gordon retro (Foster, Raymond, Williamson,etc.).

Last edited:

squeen

Another weird doodle that picked up some interesting (guilty) body language. While it may seem a stretch while looking at this hot mess, @Maynard I'm feeling almost back up to speed and think I'm about ready to dive into something more substantial next. ;)

squeen

Never posted this one. Inspired by a Gary Gianni piece from Seven Kingdoms. I was going to ink it...but life happened.

squeen

Another bit of tomfoolery with the dip pen and small "mapping" nib

Last edited:

squeen

A small doodle wondering if I could still draw a female face after a sad portrait attempt...

...the truth is I could not without lots of digital surgery. I need to get back into the swing of things.

Last edited:

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Faces are a nightmare. Other artists in my animation program struggled mightily with hands and feet primarily (I notice you dodged the feet, so maybe that's a thing for you too?), but for me faces were the worst. My life-drawing portfolio is full of faceless models lol. Somewhere around then, I realized I don't really remember people's faces. Like I recognize people by their faces, but if I had to relate their description to, say, a police portrait artist, I'd have a bitch of a time. I have no idea what that is.

Also, if you haven't already, I 1000% recommend enrolling in a life-drawing class. You'll get lots of helpful feedback, a ton of exercise for your fine motor muscles, and drawing a three dimensional human is completely different from drawing from reference photos. Also, a good life-drawing program will force you to draw a wider range of body types, which can be surprisingly helpful!

Keep up the great work!

squeen

Thanks man! I wish I had time for such a class.

One famous artist (I don't recall who) when asked "What's the hardest thing to draw?" replied: "The other eye."
Our brains demand near perfect symmetry in the face. It's merciless.

Last edited:

squeen

A pencil sketch inspired by Karl Kopinski's Khemeri Barrow Kings drawing

Karl's original is far better, but it's a watercolor.

Last edited:

squeen

I'm over-committed with a long-term project at work until 2026. Until then (and maybe even afterwards!), I'm an unreliable flake.

...but I do appreciate the sentiment. Personally, I feel that I still have a long way to go on "gettin' gud" with illustration---especially ink.

Last edited:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I'm over-committed with a long-term project at work until 2026. Until then (and maybe even afterwards!), I'm an unreliable flake.

...but I do appreciate the sentiment. Personally, I feel that still have a long way to go on "gettin' gud" with illustration---especially ink.
*marks calendar*

squeen

An alternate concept of the Morkoth based on the 1e MM description (but not really its illustration)

Last edited: