Wilderlands

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
A place to talk the Wilderlands of High Fantasy! More text to come via electronic edit

TerribleSorcery

I love the Wilderlands, it's all I run my games in for the last 10 years. I run one game in the City-state of the World Emperor, and another in Altanis. Tons of fun, it is the best ever!!

DangerousPuhson

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I used to play around a bit with CS of the IO when I was a yungun', though I never quite grasped how to effectively deploy it beyond being more than a (admittedly large) random encounter/rumor simulator. Feels like there's too much there, if that makes any sense - always worried about doing something in game that would contradict the "cannon" of the game world as written in the guide.

If I recall (and I'll have to dig out my OG hardcopy to check for sure), the guidelines were pretty sparse with regards to how you should run the City, so I would invariably just flip through and pick out interesting individual hooks to use, and little else beyond that (even then, if memory serves I remember that the the hooks weren't stellar; they were more along the lines of single-sentence summaries like "an elephant is charging down main street!", "they say a genie hides in the graveyard", "the high priest of St. Fucko is abducting people from the park to sacrifice to his dark god!" etc. with literally zero supporting follow-up materials provided).

Mind you, all this was happening when I was about 10-years-old, so probably not the universal experience. All I know is that I have faint memories of it leaving me supremely confused and frustrated at how cumbersome it all was, and thinking "I should just invent my own city with my own applicable shit, and be done with it".

As people familiar with City-State who are no longer fifth-graders, would you guys say it's worth revisiting as an adult?

The1True

8, 8, I forget what is for
There definitely needs to be more supporting material on the cult of St. Fucko.

Two orcs

Officially better than you, according to PoN
There definitely needs to be more supporting material on the cult of St. Fucko.
Easy, just base him on this guy:
Drukpa Kunley - Wikipedia

He was known for his crazy methods of enlightening other beings, mostly women, which earned him the title "The Saint of 5,000 Women". Among other things, women would seek his blessing in the form of sexual intercourse. His intention was to show that it is possible to be enlightened, impart enlightenment, and still lead a very healthy sex life, and to demonstrate that celibacy was not necessary for being enlightened. In addition, he wanted to expand the range of means by which enlightenment could be imparted, while adding new evolutionary prospects to the overarching tradition. He is credited with introducing the practice of phallus paintings in Bhutan and placing statues of them on rooftops to drive away evil spirits.[5]

Because of this power to awaken unenlightened beings, Kunley's penis is referred to as the "Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom" and he himself is known as the "fertility saint". For this reason, women from all around the world visited his monastery to seek his blessing.[6][7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drukpa_Kunley#cite_note-FOOTNOTEPommaret2003192-7

Osrnoob

I feel like post this should have had more context!

I had no idea what I was clicking

DangerousPuhson

So ... slow work day? Every day?
St. Fucko is a fictional god/patron I invented for the purposes of this post. Though nothing specific to the lore of St. Fucko currently exists in any published capacity, the closest thing I'd wager are the rules for FATAL, which talk a walk down the alleys of depravity befitting a man of the name "Fucko".