Lots of shit going on / Sandboxes

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Then your problem seems to be with the most extreme case of the Quantum Ogre, and not the typical/sensible use of it.

Deft hand, light touch - "when you've done something right, people won't be sure you did anything at all", and all that.
I would say it a bit stronger than that. When I lay down a situation (before hand without knowledge of player action), I prefer to play it out straight, to the best of my abilities. No shennaegans. They might not know---but I would.

Between games, the world does almost certainly bend towards the players like a Gravity Well due to mostly unconscious bias.

Beoric

DP, I want to be clear on something. Are you talking about repurposing unused material at some other point in the campaign so that it does not go to waste? Or are you talking about immediately (or almost immediately) moving a planned encounter in front of the party because they have chosen a path that would otherwise avoid it? The second is the Quantum Ogre, the first is not.

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
Neither? Both?

I am talking about the general practice of taking prepared material and putting it in front of a party that isn't headed directly to it (by "the plan of things"), no matter whether it's immediate or long after.

Here's where I draw the line - Players can only "thwart" something they are expecting. A quantum ogre shouldn't be expected. Moving something after its location is known is not what I'd consider "quantum"; by literal definition, knowing the location of something is the exact opposite of "quantum". Moving something after its location is known is "teleportation bullshit", not using the quantum ogre.

The exception I have to this is if they're trying to avoid something but I have a really important reason for them to encounter it, and it wouldn't be out of place to have my encounter anyway. For example: I need the players to encounter the McGuffin cultists for plot reasons, so I design an encounter around meeting a cult defector. The players are travelling through Cult Forest and see a lone cultist ahead, the first they've seen. This was my intended encounter - the defector. The party decides to go off-road, not wanting to be spotted (sensibly). Uh oh, if they skip the defector encounter, they won't get the password/clue/story/etc! Well, they push through the thick forest at a slow rate until they come across a cultist caught in a bear trap, basically announcing that he is not a threat. The party, seeing this helpless cultist ahead, investigates. Surprise, it's the defector!

squeen

Maybe it's just me, but I have this weird sort of ethos that says "there is no plot, there's just this world with weird stuff happening and hidden in it". If the party walks right past something interesting, I try to give no outward signs, and just move on to something else interesting---going with the flow.

I'd like to think this incentivizes active player exploration and initiative---but maybe not. Maybe DP's method is more fun. Dunno.

Now, once the party has stirred up a hornet's nest through interaction...that's a different matter. Then the world starts actively seeking them out, and messing with their plans.

Oh. And the Good Guys are usually on a slow downward trajectory unless they get some help. So there's a place for the PCs to make a positive difference.

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

One thing I've learned about sandboxes: if you leave the players to just wander aimlessly (like 100% make-your-own-goals), it will become very boring, very fast. They need SOMETHING to latch onto. And once they latch onto anything, it'll become their fixation for large swaths of the game.

That's what I dislike about sandboxes - if you fuck up the initial hook (because your improvisation wasn't especially creative, or the players latched onto what you'd consider a boring thread, or whatever), then you're stuck running the players through a half-assed plot when they could be enjoying the stuff I've put hours into prepping. Switching threads after the fact is jarring, and arguably can be construed as agency theft.

Does the fun one gets from a total freedom to do whatever outweigh the fun they would get from a well-prepared adventure? That's the question I think we need to ask ourselves.

PS. I know a lot of people are going to come at me about misunderstanding the term "sandbox" - I know what it means, I know what a proper sandbox is meant to be (a hybrid of structured adventures contained within a freeform world). I'm mainly talking about the problems with dumping players into a world and having them make their own fun - a total improv campaign.

Last edited:

squeen

My players have adapted well. Their "laundry list" of desired activities is a mile long, we could (and probably will) easily keep playing for years without throwing anything substantially new on to the log-pile. It's an amazing feeling when your players want to go back and dig into something they bumped into many, many moons ago and seemed to totally ignored. The only "plot" is the stuff they have wormed their way in to.

That whole WotC 3-sentance thing that Bryce likes to quote may be only be partially true---(good) players pick up a lot more than they indicate.

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
DMs treasure the quantum ogre because it fits their idea of their role, which is the leader-leader of the activity. They determine the pitch, rhythm, pace, and weave an enthralling scenario, and people are delighted because of them. It's very gratifying to believe they have replaced the humdrum of normal life with imagined color.

And I'm always bored. The quantum-ogreing DM is a throttle that fancies themselves as a spring.

Some players need a throttle - there is a place for this sort of DMing - just as some people want nothing to do with risk/decision-making and prefer a salaried cubical job giving stable, predictable results. But when delivered entrepreneurial players this sort of DM doesn't adjust, because managing the tension "for the players" is only a fake-because.

The primary fallacy is that experiencing the loop of risk-danger-victory is what players are looking for. What players are really looking for is victory, only. The victory should lie in a pit of risk, but experiencing that danger is not necessary to a sense of victory. Identifying that risk and entirely avoiding it through your own efforts while still securing the victory is the height of achievement. Quantum ogres entirely defeat this objective, because the DM has decided "this shall not stand", or "you can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat (that I have so laboriously created)"

Players who suck at making decisions couldn't mitigate this risk if they engage with it. But notice that the platonic "quantum ogre" is about quantum-danger-experiencing, not quantum-danger-avoiding. If players can only mostly thwart what they are expecting there is little reason to spend effort on general preventatives. The players are learning the world is truly limited to what they know they know. There is no scenario where what they don't know is still mitigated by a player's foresight, or even luck. And further, there is now a social responsibility for the DM to make players explicitly aware of their danger. Sit back and enjoy, player.

The exception I have to this is if they're trying to avoid something but I have a really important reason for them to encounter it, and it wouldn't be out of place to have my encounter anyway. For example: I need the players to encounter the McGuffin cultists for plot reasons, so I design an encounter around meeting a cult defector. The players are travelling through Cult Forest and see a lone cultist ahead, the first they've seen. This was my intended encounter - the defector. The party decides to go off-road, not wanting to be spotted (sensibly). Uh oh, if they skip the defector encounter, they won't get the password/clue/story/etc! Well, they push through the thick forest at a slow rate until they come across a cultist caught in a bear trap, basically announcing that he is not a threat. The party, seeing this helpless cultist ahead, investigates. Surprise, it's the defector!
The players have gained a password.

They've been denied the opportunity to understand they lack something needed (edit - as opposed to learning they used to lack something needed, which they've now obtained before they really needed it)

They've been denied the opportunity to devise a stratagem to obtain something needed after they've discovered their lack.

They've been denied the opportunity to experience the satisfaction of seeing their stratagem unfold for good or ill against a challenging but neutral environment, and the tremendous satisfaction if it does go to the good.

The DM has gained the satisfaction of experiencing exactly what they wished, which is experiencing the stratagem the DM has devised and called "plot", with all of the DMs effort entirely rewarded.

A DM that needs players to go through what they've created have a mentality I don't understand. For them, the act of creating isn't complete; the tree does not fall in the woods unless it was seen to fall. Creation of content is actually a deficit of time spent that another must debit with a transaction of their time spent, which will certainly occur.

Last edited:

squeen

So good EOTB! Here's my favorite bits:

The quantum-ogreing DM is a throttle that fancies themselves as a spring.
Beautiful metaphor. Extra points for using the word "fancies". You must be English. Once worked with an English football trainer that explained my daughter's teammate's were avoiding the ball and just thinking "No. I don't fancy that." I explained him that he was exactly right, except Americans never say "fancy" in their heads when talking to themselves about soccer/football.

...prefer a salaried cubical job giving stable, predictable results.
Yes. I'll take one, please! Slow and steady wins the race. ;P

The victory should lie in a pit of risk, but experiencing that danger is not necessary to a sense of victory. Identifying that risk and entirely avoiding it through your own efforts while still securing the victory is the height of achievement.
I just love this. I'm tempted to put this on the player-facing side of my DM's screen.

victory.png

The players are learning the world is truly limited to what they know they know. There is no scenario where what they don't know is still mitigated by a player's foresight, or even luck. And further, there is now a social responsibility for the DM to make players explicitly aware of their danger.
Hard to parse---but exactly the root of this dangerous practice of fiddling with plot.

...seeing their stratagem unfold for good or ill against a challenging but neutral environment, and the tremendous satisfaction if it does go to the good.
Perfectly said.

Creation of content is actually a deficit of time spent that another must debit with a transaction of their time spent, which will certainly occur.
Brilliant!---and so untrue. The creation process is its own reward.

EDIT: Bonus points awarded for Pink Floyd references.

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

I'm trying to pick out what your actual argument point is, but it's shrouded in a cloak of strange words like "fake-because". From what I can infer, your first issue is that the quantum ogre robs the players of the pleasure they derive from outsmarting an obstacle (at least, I think that was your point?).

You have begun by highlighting the subjective - that different folks like different things, some like cubicles and some don't, etc. This only strengthens my resolve to shut down anyone who claims the Quantum Ogre is detrimental to the game, precisely because the game is subjective. What breaks some games does not break all games. If you can't make it work at your table, ditch it, but if you tell me it won't work at my table then you are speaking from a place of total ignorance - you know exactly NOTHING about my game, my players, and my table. In the subjective world of isolated gaming group experiences, one should never give blanket directives to outside groups.

The primary fallacy is that experiencing the loop of risk-danger-victory is what players are looking for. What players are really looking for is victory, only.
Identifying that risk and entirely avoiding it through your own efforts while still securing the victory is the height of achievement.
Again this stems from the subjective. How do you know this? Was there a survey or something, or are you just jumping to a conclusion based on your own table? I suspect the latter.

Identifying that risk and entirely avoiding it through your own efforts while still securing the victory is the height of achievement. Quantum ogres entirely defeat this objective, because the DM has decided "this shall not stand", or "you can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat (that I have so laboriously created)"
First, I question the validity of your initial statement - "height of achievement"? Subjective, debateable, unsourced... Pick any reason why I can't take the claim as set-in-stone fact. Second, as for quantum ogres "defeating" this objective: if the ogre itself is not a risk (for example, my password-having cultist defector), then how the heck can this rob players of a chance to overcome a risk?

I've often felt that "Quantum ogre" is a needlessly misleading name for the whole thing because 1) apparently people aren't quite clear on the definition of "quantum"; and 2) ogres are enemies, when we are not talking explicitly about enemies. A quantum ogre could be anything prepared ahead of time by the DM - a dungeon, a clue, a friendly NPC. Hell the whole world is a quantum ogre until the players interact with parts of it.

The second part of the post appears to be a dig at one specific, off-the-cuff scenario I used as an example (something I've already PLEADED for people to stop doing... picking at the tangential and spinning minor points as somehow being the crux of my whole position). The players haven't gained or lost anything beyond what I, the DM, was going to present them. You claim they've been denied opportunity, and therefore will not enjoy the game. I counter-claim - not every situation needs to be open to opportunity, and not every missed opportunity forecasts the non-existence of other opportunity.

They've been denied the opportunity to understand they lack something needed
Denied an opportunity to understand the lack of something... I chalk this to me just using a quick example. If the characters did need a password from a cult defector, then that can be communicated BEFORE the expected encounter, not DURING the encounter. There is no loss here.

They've been denied the opportunity to devise a stratagem to obtain something needed after they've discovered their lack.
If it grates on you, then flip it around - found the password... What's the password even for? How do we know they didn't change it? What about disguises? What if it was entrapment? More options, always more chances for emergent play. New situations spawn more situations, regardless of the circumstances of their formation.

But I wonder how stratagem can even by skipped in a random encounter? You can't form strategy around a surprise. That's the definition surprise. And certainly quantum ogres are meant to surprise the party, not be broadcast (back to the argument about what "quantum" means).

They've been denied the opportunity to experience the satisfaction of seeing their stratagem unfold for good or ill against a challenging but neutral environment, and the tremendous satisfaction if it does go to the good.
Watching a stratagem unfold is good fun, that's true. Again I defer to my point about strategy for an unexpected encounter. I also, more importantly, defer to my point about quantum ogres being a rare, situationally-relevant tool. Not every situation needs to be approached with a chance to build a strategy for some big payoff. I mean, some players do that, but then I imagine those games result in six hours of play for twenty minutes of action. But my point is that there's a place for plans and strategy and payoff - one instance bypassing that opportunity does not preclude future opportunity, nor is it a bellwether of things to come in the game. Quantum ogres are ONE-OFF INSTANCES. You people keep arguing it from a point of perpetual over-use, which is absolutely the wrong way to use them.

The DM has gained the satisfaction of experiencing exactly what they wished, which is experiencing the stratagem the DM has devised and called "plot", with all of the DMs effort entirely rewarded.
You are correct in the conclusion that the DM is happy, but it's not because he had a chance to inflict his ultimate whim upon the party - It's because he knows the game will be better for having had the encounter.

You can watch a movie for the first time and still be surprised by what happens, even if all the frames are already assembled in order on the filmstrip. Sometimes a DM has to step in and show what needs to be shown when he needs to show it - it's not a villainous, combative action on the DMs part, it's just how stories are formed, literally their structure. Yes, the players are the ones telling the story through play, and yes, having the whole story mapped out ahead of time is going to end in tragedy, but no, it is not against the spirit of the game for the DM to drive the story once in a while (I say ONCE IN A WHILE in caps, because someone is 100% going to misconstrue something here). You know what movie would suck? One where the scenes were all in the wrong order (and I don't mean like some Donnie Darko shit... I mean like blowing up the Death Star before even introducing Darth Vader).

A DM that needs players to go through what they've created have a mentality I don't understand. For them, the act of creating isn't complete; the tree does not fall in the woods unless it was seen to fall. Creation of content is actually a deficit of time spent that another must debit with a transaction of their time spent, which will certainly occur.
Again the subjective. It's hardly rare to find a DM who gets pissed off when the players just bypass everything he uses to hook them... especially if he fears them getting bored with his improvised material.

Also like Squeen says, content creation is very fun for many of us. Do you believe people would enjoy producing content as much if they knew ahead of time that none of it would ever be used in a game? Watching players react to the situations we've devised and the dungeons we've designed is, for many of us, the best part of DMing and content creation. Forgive my lack of sympathy for the player who laments the missed chance to discover that he needed to discover something, in exchange for the whole group getting to run through the dungeon I've spent weeks making or the homebrew monster I thought would make for a fun fight.

Last edited:

EOTB

DP, you're obviously a bright guy but you have some blind spots.

You have begun by highlighting the subjective - that different folks like different things, some like cubicles and some don't, etc. This only strengthens my resolve to shut down anyone who claims the Quantum Ogre is detrimental to the game, precisely because the game is subjective. What breaks some games does not break all games. If you can't make it work at your table, ditch it, but if you tell me it won't work at my table then you are speaking from a place of total ignorance - you know exactly NOTHING about my game, my players, and my table. In the subjective world of isolated gaming group experiences, one should never give blanket directives to outside groups.
and

Again this stems from the subjective. How do you know this? Was there a survey or something, or are you just jumping to a conclusion based on your own table? I suspect the latter.
Is often the retreat of people who themselves make arguments like this:

One thing I've learned about sandboxes: if you leave the players to just wander aimlessly (like 100% make-your-own-goals), it will become very boring, very fast. They need SOMETHING to latch onto. And once they latch onto anything, it'll become their fixation for large swaths of the game.
But then "for me but not for thee" is the essence of this DM style.

And then when you do use their points, specifically, in argument to highlight how an approach is unsatisfying for a type of player (as opposed to subjective statements) the rejoinder is:

The second part of the post appears to be a dig at one specific, off-the-cuff scenario I used as an example (something I've already PLEADED for people to stop doing... picking at the tangential and spinning minor points as somehow being the crux of my whole position).
The bolded part was not done. It shows the effect of that example. The sweeping subjective statements decried earlier are the ones broadly attacking the entire concept of quantum ogres for the type of gamers who find it boring and lame, and not even hard to detect.

DangerousPuhson

But then "for me but not for thee" is the essence of this DM style.
The difference is I don't frame my posts as word-of-god declaration. I say a lot, but decree very little. Notice I prefaced the objectionable statement with "One thing I've learned" and not "Here's how it is". Also it was clearly a precautionary statement about sandbox play, not a directive - I didn't tell anyone to do or not do something.

You could easily dismiss the statement...
... with "that's subjective!"

... and my answer would be "yes, it is subjective, but then I'm not dictating how the game should be, I'm stating how the game has been in my experience, which is what subjectivity is".

This is all semantics though. I look forward to hearing a rebuttal with a bit more substance beyond just calling me a hypocrite.

squeen

Also like Squeen says, content creation is very fun for many of us. Do you believe people would enjoy producing content as much if they knew ahead of time that none of it would ever be used in a game? Watching players react to the situations we've devised and the dungeons we've designed is, for many of us, the best part of DMing and content creation. Forgive my lack of sympathy for the player who laments the missed chance to discover that he needed to discover something, in exchange for the whole group getting to run through the dungeon I've spent weeks making or the homebrew monster I thought would make for a fun fight.
I will admit, I do sometimes tell them---months or years later---when it's of absolutely no value to the party, what they missed.
That's kinda fun too. Blurting it all out and the "after-the-fact" realizations. Guilty pleasure.

EOTB

What is there to argue? I made an argument that quantum ogre is good for some players and not for others. You respond by saying this makes you want to shut down arguments that quantum ogres are detrimental because the game is subjective. There's nothing really to argue, because I agreed with your argument as you apply it to your table. You don't appear to like how I reframe the pro-QO argument from the viewpoint of the people to whom it does not apply and would like an anti-QO argument qualified so that anyone can feel I'm not making a statement that applies to them.

To boil down: there is a way that some people like to play the game that blows goat cheese for others who like to play the game a different way. There is no rosetta stone between the two that allows both sides to really enjoy the same game to the same extent. However, it does seem like one side is more affected by the other stating clearly why they dislike it.

QO is not circumstantial. It is a mindset or approach to gaming that influences multiple aspects - we're talking about one aspect here. That mindset will be a positive way to engage many people who want to play, and neither should those who want to use it shy away from it because I say so. Just don't try to convince those not inclined that you can fool us, or that we really do enjoy it when you're employing it. People who like the driver's seat don't like that view every once in a while. And they've only prepared what they're prepared for, so believe me - the Potemkin's village is quickly seen for what it is when suddenly faced with players who do take the narrative given and start trying to manipulate it actively, themselves.

Do you believe people would enjoy producing content as much if they knew ahead of time that none of it would ever be used in a game?
Yes, I believe many enjoy it as much. And there are many who don't. And this bleeds through every aspect of how they run their games.

Watching players react to the situations we've devised and the dungeons we've designed is, for many of us, the best part of DMing and content creation. Forgive my lack of sympathy for the player who laments the missed chance to discover that he needed to discover something, in exchange for the whole group getting to run through the dungeon I've spent weeks making or the homebrew monster I thought would make for a fun fight.
DMs treasure the quantum ogre because it fits their idea of their role, which is the leader-leader of the activity. They determine the pitch, rhythm, pace, and weave an enthralling scenario, and people are delighted because of them. It's very gratifying to believe they have replaced the humdrum of normal life with imagined color.
See? We agree. You simply want me to use more complimentary wording.

Last edited:

squeen

Do you believe people would enjoy producing content as much if they knew ahead of time that none of it would ever be used in a game? Watching players react to the situations we've devised and the dungeons we've designed is, for many of us, the best part of DMing and content creation.
I find this subtopic (creativity) fascinating---especially within the realm of Adventure Design. I want to pick at it a bit more.

If you publish a product, then you most likely will never see it used. That means the motivation is possibly very different than creating content for your own table. What is that alternative motive then?

Also, now that we've rooted out the Quantum Ogre, what place does it have in Adventure Design?

To Bryce, I believe, none. He seems to rail against products with little asides to the DM to force a scenario. That would be labeled as poor design, by his standards.

See! There was a point to all this back-and-fourth.

------------------

Oh. One more thought about home-brewed Sandboxes:

When you let the players drive you (as a DM) are constantly on the back-foot---forced to be inventive and reactive. It is a very different kind of creation process than when you first create the world. More demanding in many ways. After you let players loose in it, there's a ying-yang, or ping-pong'ing between Unbridled Creativity and Reactive Creativity. I can understand that a DM might relish the first and dread the second. [Insert Quantum Ogre here?]

The lofty Adventure Writer who dumps his work over the DriveThruRPG paywall (without playtesting) never has to face the second kind of effort. Similarly, there are possibly some who dread the Blank Page (i.e. the initial creation effort), and are more comfortable with the running/adapting someone else's pre-generated content.

Which kind of DM are you? (...or where do y'all personally fall on that sliding scale?)

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

If you publish a product, then you most likely will never see it used. That means the motivation is possibly very different than creating content for your own table. What is that alternative motive then?
Prestige, personal milestone, possible profit... same reason any author publishes anything - like formally publishes, to an expected audience. Also who says they wouldn't see it used?

Also, now that we've rooted out the Quantum Ogre, what place does it have in Adventure Design?
It's just another tool in a massive DM arsenal of metagaming tools. Situation-specific, fills a certain purpose.

It's role is in guiding the party; the same role filled by plot hooks, rumor tables, and NPC guides. Except instead of guiding the party to a specific thing in the game, you are bringing the thing to the party (NOTE: only works fairly if the party is presently unaware of the location of the thing in question).

At worst you could call it in the same vein as a dice fudge or mid-combat hitpoint adjustment (a worst-case scenario choice, made to keep the game fun if it's in danger of becoming un-fun). That's a fair claim, and I can understand how some people dislike the "impurity" it introduces into what is supposedly a neutral, unbiased environment. I don't personally see the harm, but yeah... as a tool and like all tools, the QO shouldn't be abused or misused. It has a very specific implementation that could make it harmful in rookie-run games (like with Monty Hauls and adversarial DMing).

Last edited:

Beoric

When you let the players drive you (as a DM) are constantly on the back-foot---forced to be inventive and reactive.
I disagree. Most of the time you can predict what the players will do, because players like to chase the shiny shiny - generally in the form of loot, magic or experience. You control the hooks, and you can prepare content for those who follow the hooks. If you have hooks leading to more than one adventure module, then it is not a case of "this is what we are going to play tonight", but rather something they have a real choice about.

Say you have a village with rumours of bandits and a ruined moathouse, other rumours of the lost stronghold of some adventurers who disappeared, yet more rumors that the keep to the east is having problems with humanoids, and to top it off the innkeeper gets murdered. That's The Village of Hommlet, In Search of the Unknown, The Keep on the Borderlands and The Melford Murder all in one place, and the players get to pick between them.

And it need not be wasted content; if they skip Quasqueton, it will still be there when you start a new campaign in that village; and if they ignore the Keep it will be overrun by humanoids and cultists and start threatening Hommlet with higher level threats - easy to upgrade since you already have maps and an idea of team monster's plans. Of course, they could also go back to Quasqueton when they are higher level, but they would blow through it pretty quickly, the loot isn't that good, and there are shinier things to be had elsewhere - assuming it is not now overrun with humanoids in greater numbers, and more powerful things, with better loot.

And when the players go in an entirely different direction, that is where procedurally generated content comes in. These aren't just "roll to attack the party" encounters, these are inspiration for adventures or hooks pointing toward the ones you already have prepared. Randomly generated bandits obviously point to the moathouse, while randomly generated humanoids can point to the moathouse or the Caves of Chaos, depending on the type of humanoid.

Also, the 1e MM1 is genius for inspiring content on the fly. When I was young and thought that "encounter" meant "fight" I thought it was crazy that a first level party travelling cross-country could run into 20-200 bandits, 30-300 orcs or 1-4 dragons. Now I realize those aren't encounters so much as they are whole adventures, which PCs can chance now or avoid and come back to. Because it isn't just 20-200 bandits, its 20-200 bandits with large amounts of loot, leader types with potential rivalries and agendas, possibly clerics and/or wizards, prisoners held for ransom, camp followers and slaves. And the first level party doesn't have to stumble into the middle of the camp as soon as it enters the hex, it can run into signs of traffic, or patrols, or a few bandits wandering around on their own business.

It isn't 1-4 dragons, its one dragon, or a mated pair of adult to ancient dragons which may have 1-2 eggs or young. A single dragon can be subdued, eggs or young can be sold (which means finding a buyer, which is another adventure). And the first time you see the dragon it may be flying and not notice you or not be hungry.

For either case, roll up the treasure and start thinking about where they got it (or why they don't have much) and you have a lot going on.

(Here is low-hanging fruit for adventure writing. Roll up hordes, camps and/or villages for various types of humans or humanoids in various types of terrain (from the MM1 only, the FF and MM2 don't tend to carry those hooks) and publish a single 5-6 mile hex of content for each with all the factions, agendas a rivalries already built in, and sell it as drop-in content.)

The thing is, a few years back I realized that in 1e everything was treated as a hook. First of all, there was a chance of getting a treasure map in a given treasure hoard, which is obvious. But when you found a magic item, you might have to quest to find the command word. And in a world where you don't just "pick" spells when you level, but have to acquire spells by finding scrolls or spellbooks (with randomly assigned spells) or by research, questing for spells (or even research sources) becomes a hook. In a world where crafting magic items is hard and complicated, questing for a particular item, or the components for an item, or the procedure for making an item, or the formula for a potion, is a hook. In a world where you are looting tombs and selling art objects, finding a buyer is a hook (and the people who notice you trying to sell it might make it into an adventure).

Sorry for the squeen-length post, but I've been thinking about this for a while and it sort of spilled over.

squeen

It's just another tool in a massive DM arsenal of metagaming tools. Situation-specific, fills a certain purpose.
I was making a slight change of context here.

What role would you expect a QO to play solely in a pre-written/published Adventure?