Recent content by HypthtcllySpkng

1. HypthtcllySpkng

Book Fucking Talk

Malazan: Book of the Fallen. Probably my favorite fantasy series now.
  2. HypthtcllySpkng

Fuckin' Videogames, Man

I'll just ruin someone's life and leave this here... https://candybox2.github.io/candybox/
  3. HypthtcllySpkng

Fuckin' Videogames, Man

This is a man/woman/person/camera/tv of impeccable taste. Obviously add Dwarf Fortress, for posterity.
  4. HypthtcllySpkng

The state of Post-OSR content

Specifically, if a player asked you not to include things in your game without regard for their choices, even if they'd never know; would you still do it?
  5. HypthtcllySpkng

I dunno man. I see the point that DMs are supposed to be able to craft the world and do as they please, to an extent, and there's a measure of planning that has to exist due to the nature of the game. But, there is a line, and it is ultimately a game. Is the God good? Well, do the prayers of...
  6. HypthtcllySpkng

Is the God me?
  7. HypthtcllySpkng

Let's see... Players could, I dunno, figure it out? Numerous people on this very thread have said that they're able to do so themselves, and I'll say that I am as well. DMs screens only go so far. You're operating with the logic that it's literally impossible for them to figure it out. No, the...
  8. HypthtcllySpkng

I did assume that, because asking players to play a preordained path without warning or conversation isn't a good thing to do in and of itself, and I assumed you'd agree with that. Players deserve to know what they're getting into, the dm deserves to know what the players might want beforehand...
  9. HypthtcllySpkng

Honestly, null argument. An agreed-upon by your players' premade module (assuming a casual session 0) isn't the same as what was being discussed regarding player freedom in a sandbox scenario. And in a premade module, there is no illusion or obfuscation if everyone agrees on playing it. But...
  10. HypthtcllySpkng

Without judgment or criticism, I find I personally would not enjoy being in DP's game for this reason. Obfuscation of the railroad is still a railroad, and i would mind, I believe.
  11. HypthtcllySpkng

I agree. It's moreso that I think we'll see more of the new stuff, not a diminishing of the old norms.
  12. HypthtcllySpkng

I have been seeing a lot of stuff in the 5e realm like the Midgard setting becoming more popular too. Just an emphasis on the inclusion of more diverse cultures to draw inspiration from. The Maori gods being included in a pantheon, or the African ones. Certainly seems to be a stepping away from...
  13. HypthtcllySpkng

Creating a Course for Newbie GM's ---

That's why there's multiple courses. So I've split this up into 4 courses now. 101 - Running your first two dungeons, a premade and a homebrew 201 - running your first campaign 301 - additional reading for inspiration and skill growth 401 - so you think you know how to dm huh? Sticking to the...
  14. HypthtcllySpkng

Actually, I disagree here. I think enough of the general D&D concepts of gaming overlap with other TTRPG's that starting with D&D, and simply mentioning and clarifying ways other games may differ is enough. Take WoD or CoC. Both use rules and provide opportunity for improv style play acting and...
  15. HypthtcllySpkng

A little bit of a, little bit of b. Ultimately I'd like to hit both points, but for a start Course 101 is definitely A. @EOTB serious question, are you of the persuasion, as many believe, that anyone can be a DM? Or is it your opinion that DM'ing, or at least great DM'ing has natural talent as...