Remote DMing for Noobs

The Heretic

Should be playing D&D instead
I'm sure a few of you have heard the news that there's a pandemic going on. This is putting a crimp on my campaign. Anyone have any suggestions for playing D&D remotely via computer? Preferably something free-ish and easy to use for stoopid people? What are my options!

DangerousPuhson

I'm using Roll20 these days...pretty robust, even the free version. its got chat and video functions built in, plus a ton of other apps (dice rollers, distance measure, initiative trackers, etc) It helps that I make my game maps myself digitally so I can upload them, but its not necessary for play.

The Heretic

Thanks, I'll try that. Are there any alternatives? I'm an old gen-Xer, so of course I have to ask about the Alternative.

(also it gives me an alternative if Roll20 is too confusing for my old brain)

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Always wanted to try Roll20, it looks pretty cool.
I was going to try Discord and paid Zoom account, but my group didn't like the idea and I'm too busy to try and figure out Roll20. So I got dragged into playing Guild Wars 2.
But from DP's post, sounds like Roll 20 is the superb method. I really need to sit down and dink around with it.

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
I use maptools. The basic functionality is very simple, but you have to work to make it do more complex stuff. Networking is a bitch if you don't know how, but instead of figuring that out you could always put your maptools map on the screen, and share the screen with players using Skype or similar applications.

mAcular

A FreshHell to Contend With
roll20 is the most convenient gateway to online play. It's free and it doesn't require installing anything. You just go to the website.

The Heretic

Hmm, my players seemed to have decided on another app. Despair? I think it starts with a D. Diverticulitis? Dementia?

Oh right, Discord. So I guess I'll be trying that first.

L

logruspattern

I use maptools. The basic functionality is very simple, but you have to work to make it do more complex stuff. Networking is a bitch if you don't know how, but instead of figuring that out you could always put your maptools map on the screen, and share the screen with players using Skype or similar applications.
I use maptool too. At first we started with roll20. What turned me off from roll20 was the data breach shortly after we created accounts. Also its lack of support for large maps and its limited storage. I think maptool can do for free everything that roll20 can do for money with the exception of voice chat.

The functionality can be simple but it and usability continuously improve, especially of late. People have posted rules support for a multitude of systems that you can plug in with little trouble.

I've never had an issue with the networking and I have some fairly computer illiterate people in my group.

The Heretic

I use maptool too. At first we started with roll20. What turned me off from roll20 was the data breach shortly after we created accounts. Also its lack of support for large maps and its limited storage. I think maptool can do for free everything that roll20 can do for money with the exception of voice chat.
Hmm. I might look into maptool, because I've noticed that same issue with the maps. This'll be important when they finally get into the moors. We use Discord for voice chat so that's not a problem.

Beoric

Hmm. I might look into maptool, because I've noticed that same issue with the maps. This'll be important when they finally get into the moors. We use Discord for voice chat so that's not a problem.
@logruspattern, do you use a framework to run your games, and if so which one? I can't remember what edition The Heretic runs but there is so much less tinkering required if you can find a decent one.

L

logruspattern

@logruspattern, do you use a framework to run your games, and if so which one? I can't remember what edition The Heretic runs but there is so much less tinkering required if you can find a decent one.
I use one of the 5e frameworks available here:
I don't remember which one. It looks like the Melek one is newer and simpler, according to his first post.

4e frameworks are here. I couldn't tell you which is best:

There is a "Functional 1e framework" on the second page of the main framework forum. Again, not sure how helpful it is.

L

logruspattern

Alibi: Like many things nowadays, there is also a Discord server for Maptool. One might have more success there asking about any given framework.

L

logruspattern

@Heretic The moors? What module are you running?

Beoric

4e frameworks are here. I couldn't tell you which is best:
I use Rumble's "fat" framework (ie the one that is not his "slim" framework). I find it is more intuitive that Starman's framework, plus Starman is a bit of a jackass. Rumble's framework used to be slower, but you don't notice on a newish machine. I have tweaked the framework and added Dicebox and an inventory/encumbrance Lib file.

I have a couple of 5e frameworks, but since I have never run a 5e game I can't critique them. Also a 1e framework which I have never used. I'm not sure it would be possible to write a framework that could establish 1e initiative order by the book.

L

logruspattern

@Beoric I can tell then that you have more experience and knowledge of programming than me. I've made modest tweaks to things, mostly by copying from the frameworks and seeing how they work. The maptool macro language is not something I have down. Learning its basics would probably take me a few days. I don't know if it would go faster with a better programming background. I have the Bag of Tricks installed on my 5e framework but I have not begun to scratch the surface of all those capabilities. In our group we're all personal friends so we roll dice and report the result rather than using maptool to roll, or track our character sheets, or any of the fancier things. Mostly I use it to create / upload the map and then use it for exploration and combat. Even if we were not playing online I would use maptool for that.

I would definitely caution anyone that there is a bit of a learning curve to maptool. But it certainly does everything I want it to do and more. I don't know how to make it do more, but it does do more.

Beoric

Yeah... used Basic in high school, did a semester of... something, Pascal maybe? ... around 1987. That is all the coding experience I have, and I work in a non-technical profession. The Wiki is my friend.

I found the Bag of Tricks slowed things down and the only thing I was using it for was doors. It also had some weird interactions with Rumble's framework. When they improved VBL capability I didn't need it any more so I dropped it.

The Heretic

@Heretic The moors? What module are you running?
They're heading into a region of moors* in my campaign world. I had a thread around here somewhere, asking for suggestions. Squeen inadvertently introduced me Goblin Punch so I've been trying to get more creative with my outdoor adventures.

Also, I run a Pathfinder 1e game. I use herolab for the crunch stuff.

* The English version of moors. Hills filled with heath, shrubs, and grasses. Not forested. Visibility will be high. The PCs will be able to see a lot of encounters miles before getting into melee range.