Mechanics Cross-Pollination Thread

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
I check once every 'watch' - or 4 hours. Remember though that my wilderness area is really small.
However, that 1/6 chance also includes the chance of coming across hex contents, finding monster tracks, stuff like that. I got it from the Alexandrian: https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/43899/roleplaying-games/thinking-about-wilderness-travel
I remember that article. I note in part 2 of the article he says "The hexcrawl system is still optimized for exploration, not travel," which I think is the issue. Although I'm not sure I agree that a hexmap needs to key every hex, which would be a lot of work. After all, you don't key ever square on a dungeon map, usually you only key the rooms. If your average dungeon level is a map 10" x 8" with 4 squares to the inch, and had perhaps 20-40 rooms, that works about to maybe one keyed entry per 30-60 squares.

If you instead had a hex map that was 36 hexes by 36 inches, like the one below, you would have about the same number of hexes as you have squares in a dungeon map. You could then give each hex a 1 in 50 chance of containing content, allow the content to spill into a few adjoining hexes (to form a "room", or territory for the creatures found there), and away you go. I actually just now made a spreadsheet that will indicate which hexes in a 36x36 map have content (with a 1 in 45 chance); PM me and I will send you a link.

For exploration purposes, you could calculate whatever time it takes to travel 12 hexes if you are unencumbered and call that a "turn", and base your wandering monster checks on the number of turns you spend. And if you have a bigger distance to cover, you use the same number of hexes, but the hexes get bigger, the turns get longer, the population centers get larger, and the random encounters change in size and/or character.

Blank Hex Map 36x36.png

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Sounds cool. Definetely Greater D&D. :) I keep hoping my players will eventually make it to the Coast and head out onto the high sea!

When you went south, how did you handle random encounters and the like---as Beoric laments. Sounds like maybe you just manually created content that was level-appropriate for your party. No?
It was a semi-point-crawl. Every week I laid out a couple of if-thens. If they go this way, they hit this. If they go that way they hit that; scaled to the appropriate level, occasionally way above their level to give a sense of mighty exotic threats to avoid for now and work towards. Created a small list of semi-detailed random encounters scaled to within +/- 3 lvls, checked every 4 hrs, 1:6 (more if in dangerous waters). Kept a small list of factions in the region and escaped villains machinating in the background. Pretty much let them create their own trouble from there.

What's the consensus on the sweet spot for random overland encounters? Moldvay for example has them a lot less frequently (usually one check per day, possibly up to 4 checks per day) than does AD&D (checks 3-12 times daily). Or am I missing something, and the systems are supposed to be used differently?
@Grutzi designed a crazy encounter system for the Vanished Wastes over at GTC. I think it's still locked in the admin section. It seemed impossibly convoluted at first, but put into practice it's really quite elegant. He created a threat dice and a faction index and based on activity in a region, the threat goes up and factions become more active, and the random encounter rolls end up naturally weighting themselves towards more frequent and lethal encounters as a result. If there's interest, it might be worth dragging it over here for discussion... I think every 4hrs is the base frequency anyway. That seems to be a standard.

Pseudoephedrine

Should be playing D&D instead
Yeah, I've experimented with 4, 6, and 8 hour watches (JA and I independently coined the term "watches" for these turns) and currently prefer 4 hrs. with a random encounter roll on each one, and each 10km hex taking one watch to traverse at an ordinary cross-country pace for adventurers on foot.

Using an encounter grid, you have basically a 1/3 chance of some sort of encounter per watch, with a 0.93% (2.78% of 1/3) chance of them being immediately hostile and an 8.3% chance of them being unfriendly. That means on average you get 2 encounters per day of travel, with one immediately hostile encounter every 100 watches or so (about every 17 days) and an unfriendly encounter on average every 12-13 watches (every 2 days). You are, however, encountering tracks, traces, spoor, noises, etc. every watch you're moving.

I think this works pretty well for making overland journey seem "full" without actually either weighting it down too much. Like I said, I ran an adventure arc in a campaign where the PCs were surveying an island the size of Jamaica rendered at this scale, and it worked really well.

Johann

*eyeroll*
The way I handle wilderness encounters, even quite a lot them do not necessarily dominate a session. Rolling for distance, surprise, reactions and possibly morale allow things to be wrapped up quickly in many cases. Monsters are evaded, bypassed, befriended, or routed all the time. Basically what a lot of you have been saying.

Moreover, there's the option to negotiate a resource cost with the players rather than playing things out. Another dozen zombies in the Canyon of Doom? How about you distribute 4d6 points of damage among your characters? Nope? Wanna play it out and see if you can get a better outcome? Roll for Initiative.

Regarding rolling behind the screen, I haven't considered the upsides as laid out by Squeen. I'm a revovering illusionist DM - clean for about 7 years now! - with a ton of quantum ogres in my closet and I'm likewise traumatised as a player, still unable to trust. Hence, I roll everything in the open, including all sorts of DM calls ("Does that door open to the inside or outside?" - "Let me flip a coin.") and run a very lethal game to ensure / affirm that, yes, the choices are real, the danger is real, let's have another TPK! I even do 'secret' rolls with a dice cup which is then lifted at a later point.

TerribleSorcery

I remember that article. I note in part 2 of the article he says "The hexcrawl system is still optimized for exploration, not travel," which I think is the issue. Although I'm not sure I agree that a hexmap needs to key every hex, which would be a lot of work. After all, you don't key ever square on a dungeon map, usually you only key the rooms. If your average dungeon level is a map 10" x 8" with 4 squares to the inch, and had perhaps 20-40 rooms, that works about to maybe one keyed entry per 30-60 squares.
You definitely shouldn't key every hex on your map. But I do. I don't think the comparison to squares on your dungeon maps makes sense though. Hexes can and should be scaled for your application. I use 6-mile hexes because I put something in almost every single one (yes it is a lot of work), because of the speed of wilderness travel in my game, all the things I outlined above.

You on the other hand might be better served with 24-mile hexes or something. Since most will be empty anyway and your group is travelling such long distances, you don't need to deal with things at such a high resolution.

Beoric

You definitely shouldn't key every hex on your map. But I do. I don't think the comparison to squares on your dungeon maps makes sense though. Hexes can and should be scaled for your application. I use 6-mile hexes because I put something in almost every single one (yes it is a lot of work), because of the speed of wilderness travel in my game, all the things I outlined above.

You on the other hand might be better served with 24-mile hexes or something. Since most will be empty anyway and your group is travelling such long distances, you don't need to deal with things at such a high resolution.
I think you misunderstand me. I do think that hexes should be scaled. What I postulated (not perhaps in that post but definitely in another) is that regardless of scale you want about the same amount of activity on your map. So if you are using scale "x" when you are measuring travel in days, you travel y hexes per day and you use a hex map of maybe 1200 hexes of scale "x" with 20-40 static points of interest.

And then, if travel is measured in weeks, you use hexes of scale "6x" (assuming one day of rest per week), you travel 6x hexes per week and you you use a hex map of maybe 1200 hexes of scale "6x" with 20-40 static points of interest. The points of interest are just bigger (in significance if not scale), as lesser items

My assumption is that the number of points of interest and wandering monsters that you experience in a decent dungeon is about right for other adventuring activities, and I am looking for a way to translate that to outdoor travel regardless of scale. Because if travel is measured in weeks and you end up with 6-7 times more random encounters between point A and point B I think you will end up with a bit of a grind, even if you don't experience the other issues I have discussed elsewhere. However I haven't playtested my hypothesis, so I can't say if it works in practice.

The1True

Hence, I roll everything in the open
I applaud this and sometimes wish I could do it myself. I just prefer to roll behind the screen. To be fair, I don't babysit my players' rolling either. That policy has migrated well to Roll20 where the only way to roll out in the open is to use the profoundly dissatisfying digital dice. I know my players fudge, some more than others. We're all adults, if the guy playing the wizard has somehow miraculously made his third Fort Save in a row vs the Wight's level drain, I'm not going to take the guy to task; he obviously doesn't feel like bullshit level drain today. He's denying himself the thrill of danger and that's his choice. If the fudging starts to affect me or the other players, then we have a character sheet audit. As the DM, I've cut way back on fudging, I realize I was rationalizing way too many excuses for it. My chief sin now is guestimating for the purposes of moving things along (most recently, I've been converting Barrowmaze on the fly to 3e which has definitely been to the players' advantage).

The1True

I absolutely agree with you. This improvisational style is not always effective and is not the answer to everything. That said, you can improvise with the players cooperation without relinquishing authority.
I get that your style comes from DMing your kids who, especially at a younger age, would have been utterly lost if you had put them in control of their dice rolls and other complex game mechanics, but if you tried half the stuff you're talking about with a table of independent adults familiar with the game, I suspect you would meet stiff resistance.
Don't let that confuse me for an ultra-liberal game master. I definitely do my rolling behind the screen and rarely show my players the DM map. I read about these guys who lay the map on the table and do all their rolling in front of the players and that sounds lovely in theory but stupid in practice to me.
But yeah, if your players come up with a crackheaded idea, don't be afraid, say "Yes, and" and see where it takes you. I've ended up with at least two memorable demigods and a vengeful, NPC bastard-offspring this way...
@squeen the latest post from the Blue Bard made me think back on this conversation. I was coming from The Alexandrian's more improvisational Rrrroleplaying standpoint, but it's interesting to read corroboration from the Archgrognard of RAW. I'm not sure I entirely understand/agree with his characterization of Low Fantasy as sometimes "allowing the lazy DM to thrive", but I dig what he's saying which (I believe) is: design your adventures with the assumption that the PC's will break them, and give their more outlandish ideas a chance (as long as they don't break the rules).

I got called out on my recent adventure submission for the (now 6 month old?) contest for some campaign-breaking results such as a vengeful jellyfish demigod hunting the PC's or a reactivated mithril-mining artifact, and I could see the point of those arguments and rolled with it, but it continued to nag at me. I think this clarifies to me why. I dropped these extraordinary outcomes in with the more likely outcomes as a heads up to the gamemaster. If the players are extremely diligent or lucky, these thing may come to pass. But, the gamemaster shouldn't be afraid to add them to what is surely an emerging story and not a set-in-stone series of events. Maybe the mithril mine will disrupt the local economy and bring the factions down on the characters' heads. Maybe the Mother of All Jellyfish will become a haunting presence keeping the characters' eyes on the skies while they search for a patron of equal power to protect them. Maybe the characters will uncover powerful relics that give them a significant advantage vs flying threats. I don't see these as game breaking so much as dynamic opportunities for the players to affect their world.

Ech sorry, this turned into axe grinding. The point is; I reiterate good Squeen: Say Yes!

squeen

Rrrroleplaying
This always makes me smile.

Yeah, when I read Huso's post I felt a little bit called-out. He's mentioned in a few others that the "high-level play is broken crowd" is wrong, and he aims to prove it both in his campaign and published works. As someone that has preached against rapid level-increase to prolong the low-level game AND someone who has stumbled on a new quasi-truth of "rapid level increase quickly obsoletes your world", I felt the barbs of his words.

I recently bought a few more of Huso's published modules. I had A Fabled City of Brass and thought it was beautifully crafted and had a fascinating quiet aesthetic about it. I bought Geir Loe Cyn-Crul recently and have been reading through it---largely because of @Malrex 's testimony that he found it inspiring (huge vault-like constructions beneath the earth)---but so far I am less impressed with it. It's certainly high-level: Giants, Throne of the Gods, Drow, Trolls, but also feels a bit life-less (as a aside, the way the map is chopped up in the print-version drives me a bit batty without at least one high-level view...yes, I know I can get it digital, but...). Still, it felt totally play-able just not terribly inspiring (to me), probably because I have always played (and made) dungeons of this sort. It felt a bit like that Alexanderian advice @TerribleSorcery took to heart (about plots) that went right over my head becasue I though it was "normal D&D".

OK, to your point: the catastrophies of the Uber-Jelly---if you envision your players working through that, then I have no problem with it---only if it was a GAME OVER result would it bother me. Remember, I like "Locks without keys". I also DO advocate what Huso is saying, and I equate it to exactly what @EOTB calls "Let the players win." i.e., if they do something clever, expend a precious resource, etc., don't gimp the result and let them blow-away your "big baddie/big scenario" and you as DM just need to roll with it and move on. Same deal with the reverse---let them lose too (but if the Uber-Jelly breaks the world...what will their replacements do at 1st level?).

My critique of the mithril mine came from the point of view of normalization of the exotic. If its existence in your world was in fact a "big deal", then I'm fine with it. (Hope it's WAY deep and hard-as-hell to get to!)

OK. Back to Huso and high-level play. Can we both be right? I think yes. Malrex can confirm, with the little bit of the very raw Earth Temple stuff I gave him---I do put big-ass game-changing artifacts in my world. Collecting them (as oppose of rapid level-gain) empowers you to tackle the big-ass threats. They have draw-backs (e.g. an evil ego), and often ownership is "for a limited-time-only" (e.g. the Hammer of the Gods). But it lets the characters wander off into the unknown (as nothings) and return as big-shots...for awhile.

In my long-running campaign, the players are now 7-9th level. They move through the world faster, and are dealing with a different level of threat (Demons, armies, witch-wraiths, drow empire), but their investment and discovery of the world was mostly at the lower (3-5th) level and slow (4-5 years). So, Huso is right---high level play works BUT I feel I am also correct: you will have to write a completely different sort of world to challenge them (e.g. Planear travel, campaign play, deep underworld empires, etc.). I think the time spent lingering and traveling around the map as quasi "normal folk" was crucial to a slow-reveal that got the players invested in world events. There's got to be a quasi-static world situation they discover (otherwise it wouldn't persist and would instead force an immediate "story-mode" on them), and then can DECIDE if they want to get involved in "local politics". I'm not sure I could pull that off if they arrived on the scene as members of the Justice League.

Once the PCs topple the high-level threats, the whole world changes, you start moving into the end-of-the-campaign mode that Huso mentions in an earlier post. You don't want to prevent the players from doing that---it's kinda the whole point---but if they are capable of doing that too soon (as oppose to having to avoid/dance-around/get-to-know them for a bit), then your world gets immediately used up.

That latter (high-level) world...well, I'm not sure we know what it looks like because it's so different from our own. It's a real challenge to create something that works. Read his post about the Dreamhouse of the Nether Prince. I want to buy it ($50!) because it a legit adventure in the Abyss against Orcus (and I want to see how that's done)...but my semi-disappointment with Geir Loe Cyn-Crul is still too fresh. @bryce0lynch's review was kinda spot-on, the module conveyed the tactical threat, but little else to me. Reservations aside, the description of it sounds brutal, and the PC requirements very, very, high. Scary, but cool.

In the deepest underground of my world, there is wild gonzo magic, world-shattering doomsday devices, and threats at Orcus-level. My players will get there (eventually I hope). But on the surface, I try to counter-point that with a sense of low-fantasy normality. For me that holds together better (conceptually) and works well with long-duration campaign play---when coupled with slow level advancement it creates a bubble of stability.

I wanted to savoy the full D&D experience and just not rush things. I guess that's my only point. There's a place for the fantastic/big too in my campaign, I'm just advocating patience. As most parents know, those years when they are little are SO good (the sweet-spot in life?)---and go by TOO fast.

Did I address your point?

Last edited:

Johann

*eyeroll*
I'd hesitate to put in stuff which could potentially change the entire campaign world (a way to make gun powder, an effect which universally affects magic, dying etc.) but other than that, I'm happy with stuff that has drastic consequences (wiping out an region or hex from the map, unleashing a monster to wreck sea travel in an entire region, a new god etc.).

WotC's Tomb of Annihilation contains a lot of fine material and I'm currently running it, but the set-up is unacceptable to me because (MINOR SPOILER WARNING) it wrecks resurrection (not that I have it - that's for wusses ;-) and, more importantly, strains credulity (Who'd send a 1st-level party against that? Elminster et al. should be stumbling over each other). Obviously, the module assumes the PCs will succeed and that's just not going to fly.

squeen

One last point: as you move through the world (slowly) and aren't Minor Gods Who Walk The Earth --- you make and need allies.

That's part of what turns the game away from pure combat.
( Rrrroleplaying!! :) --- the real-kind that has nothing to do with roll-up and what's on your character-sheet ;))

The1True

Dreamhouse of the Nether Prince. I want to buy it
I got pretty excited about this too, but my group has killed Orcus at least four times in the last 25 years (Mines of Bloodstone, Throne of Bloodstone, Dead Gods and Rappan Athuk) beating out even old Vecna who we've only killed three times... It's time for a new demon lord...

squeen

I got pretty excited about this too, but my group has killed Orcus at least four times in the last 25 years (Mines of Bloodstone, Throne of Bloodstone, Dead Gods and Rappan Athuk) beating out even old Vecna who we've only killed three times... It's time for a new demon lord...
🤯

The1True

the real-kind that has nothing to do with roll-up and what's on your character-sheet
meh, this was a non-argument for me. I play with a bunch of guys who are pretty uncomfortable with method acting. The most disruptive backstory I've ever seen is a deranged thief who, instead of taking his max languages has learned to say 'fuck you' in every language. -Literally the longest backstory I've ever seen written down.
Occasionally there's a verbal contract with the DM: Like the guy who wanted to try out a Minotaur worked out ahead of time how/why he was in service to a religious order training to be a knight (which lead to some good side stories later in the campaign).
That said, despite our group social-contract repeatedly calling for a lethal campaign, we play a pretty non-lethal game, so I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to write a ridiculous backstory it would be mocked by all, but whichever one of us is DMing would find a way to work it into the story. I can see how a long backstory would be pretty anathema to a sudden-death, no-resurrections game world.
I think my group's all over the spectrum for play styles (as most groups are) but we're pretty unanimously centred on wish-fulfilment.

Hey, would a possible solution be an evolving backstory? Like, the further you advance, the more history you retroactively add to your character?

squeen

Wasn't aiming that comment at you or at anyone in particular -- just a light-bulb that popped on in my head.

That said, despite our group social-contract repeatedly calling for a lethal campaign, we play a pretty non-lethal game, ... but we're pretty unanimously centred on wish-fulfilment.
This I did not expect you to say. Care to elaborate some time?

Last edited:

squeen

Occasionally there's a verbal contract with the DM: Like the guy who wanted to try out a Minotaur worked out ahead of time how/why he was in service to a religious order training to be a knight (which lead to some good side stories later in the campaign).
@Malrex : This kind of race/class expansion sits totally fine with me (as if the world needs my permission!). It's not a normalization of the exotic. It's truly a special case, and creative. I could totally see doing something this---in fact I have.

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

My weekly group, in a 100% improvised campaign, just hit level 17. I've long ago discovered it's a total waste of my creativity to find ways to gimp the party of their game-breaking powers at high levels - there's always some spell, or some tucked away magic item, or just some way to think laterally about a situation and diffuse it.

The players have long since moved past the thrill they get from beating a really difficult encounter - they're jaded to difficulty, and it's not why they play the game anymore, so it's not worth my time to come up with creative ways to make things more difficult for my players like adamantine doors and spell wards that block teleportation. Plus, as the blog and so many others before it have stated, it's just not fun for the players, which breaks MY personal Rule 0 for D&D (it's a game, and games are played for fun). If they wanted to go back to just being challenged with difficult things, they'd re-make some Level 1 nobodies with Magic Missile and start over in a place where goblins can kill you, or they'd insist on playing a retro-clone where the gimping is built into the system.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
The thing I liked about Huso's Geir was the huge caverns and how that could play with tactics. Silence 15' Radius and Darkness seem like important spells for that adventure. Sure, I know wandering encounters can happen due to noise in a normal dungeon, but with Geir, the caverns are so big that they may actually see you from a distance....running away is harder, etc. Some of the encounters were kinda meh, but that idea of the expansive cavern is what I liked about it. It made me think, as a player, how I would adventure through that type of environment--and those are the type of adventures I enjoy reading (and I realize reading vs. playing are different things).

@Malrex : This kind of race/class expansion sits totally fine with me (as if the world needs my permission!). It's not a normalization of the exotic. It's truly a special case, and creative. I could totally see doing something this---in fact I have.
I really don't think I argue or articulate my points well about races, classes, character agenda's, etc. etc. because I agree with you that normalization of the exotic can make the game boring...I just like tools to help with...bah, Im not even going to get into it again.

High level play to me is boring. I don't think I've ever got past level 9.