Hack Feedback

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
I like using Con instead of Str for carrying capacity, that makes sense.

I also like that a certain amount of successful attacks do no damage. This seems to me to be more of an approach to narration than a change in hit points (you could as easily make it HP = HP from HD plus Con, and I believe you would have the same number of hits). I do something similar in the way I narrate 4e damage; most lost hit points aren't actual damage, but are more a measure of fatigue - which is why you can regain some with a short rest.

One thing you do here that I don't, but may try to copy, is build in absorption of damage by armor, and the subsequent repair of that armor. That has nice practical and narrative benefits.

Not going to comment on how workable it all is because I don't play early edition D&D anymore, and probably couldn't recognize problems at a glance.

Although one thing I'm not seeing is the target DC (or AC, I guess) for attacks. I'm inferring that you roll under your opponent's Dex, but I'm not sure. And does AV contribute to AC, or only to armor dice?

For initiative, is it determined by how much you roll under average Dex? Because both sides could theoretically roll under their average Dex.

Maynard

*eyeroll*
Players roll under their str or dex for melee and ranged attacks respectively. There are some fiddly edge cases, but they aren't stuffed into this player facing cheat sheet.

If the target is particularly strong the gm asks the player to add the difference between their HD to the roll. Some particularly armored enemies might force the roll at disadvantage.

Npcs try to hit over a players dex score. There's no player AC to target. AV is just the number of armor dice.

Only the players roll for initiative. Like attacks, a super fast or strong enemy force might influence this roll.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Like the formatting! The game itself is too far from my old-tyme comfort zone for me to comment.

Maynard

*eyeroll*
Like the formatting! The game itself is too far from my old-tyme comfort zone for me to comment.
Because it's written with compatibility with b/x modules in mind (at least for one shots) I'd still like your insights on where I've erred.

Maynard

*eyeroll*
I also like that a certain amount of successful attacks do no damage. This seems to me to be more of an approach to narration than a change in hit points (you could as easily make it HP = HP from HD plus Con, and I believe you would have the same number of hits)
One of the design goals is to have all resources apparent - everyone at the table can see everyone's dice pools.