So Much Bad Design...

Over the last few days I've been combing through modules I splurge bought over the years -- many in the years before I was aware of this and a few other trusted review sites -- and My God but they're bad. So very very many of them are room after room of some kind of lethal trap or monster that you can't interact with, waiting to attack the moment you enter the chamber. Where's the wonder? Where's the joy in exploration and the cool creatures to talk with?

I read this stuff and get to thinking that maybe 90 percent of gamers just view the hobby completely differently, as a constant combat game.

Praise be to poor Bryce for combing through all the crap to point us to the good stuff...

Last edited:

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
I read this stuff and get to thinking that maybe 90 percent of gamers just view the hobby completely differently, as a constant combat game.
Yes, but is it a cause of that view, or an effect? People learn how to game from those modules.

And I think the bad modules came first, because they are easier and faster to write than good ones.

squeen

Praise be to poor Bryce for combing through all the crap to point us to the good stuff...
Video games did a lot of harm to D&D -- it was the antithesis of a "thinkers" war game, which were its roots. Hollywood inspired story games too. Folks plumb got lost in the weeds.

Last edited:

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
It IS partially the culture though. I really like playing D&D as a boardgame, and that was transmitted to me by this group of guys when I joined them a hundred years ago. To them it was a tactical scenario game where they exercised their mastery of the rules, and I ended up accepting that as a fun style of play.
Now I'm trying to play BECMI with my kids and I CAN'T UNTRAIN MYSELF. They're rolling dice to find the secret doors and open the locks. They have yet to trigger a trap, but I would imagine once they've been stung once, they'll be rolling dice for that as well. There's a huge room in B5 where a pair of tamed wolves are guarding the corpses of their dead adventurer masters. My kids wanted to just attack them. And on the other side, I've been trained to NOT coach the players, but who the hell is going to show these guys how to play? The elf NPC is like "hey, maybe those are pets. They look hungry..." They met their first Thoul (easily THE BEST MONSTER IN DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS fight me) and could not for the life of them figure out how to make the sonofabitch stop regenerating. The cleric NPC is like "maybe try cauterizing the wounds with fire?" and I feel dirty now. But yeah, mainly the interaction. I don't have the attention span for it anymore. I don't want to spend half an hour sitting around while the players try pulling on torch sconces and pushing random stones and pulling books off the shelf. Something has been lost.

It IS partially the culture though. I really like playing D&D as a boardgame, and that was transmitted to me by this group of guys when I joined them a hundred years ago. To them it was a tactical scenario game where they exercised their mastery of the rules, and I ended up accepting that as a fun style of play.
Now I'm trying to play BECMI with my kids and I CAN'T UNTRAIN MYSELF. They're rolling dice to find the secret doors and open the locks. They have yet to trigger a trap, but I would imagine once they've been stung once, they'll be rolling dice for that as well. There's a huge room in B5 where a pair of tamed wolves are guarding the corpses of their dead adventurer masters. My kids wanted to just attack them. And on the other side, I've been trained to NOT coach the players, but who the hell is going to show these guys how to play? The elf NPC is like "hey, maybe those are pets. They look hungry..." They met their first Thoul (easily THE BEST MONSTER IN DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS fight me) and could not for the life of them figure out how to make the sonofabitch stop regenerating. The cleric NPC is like "maybe try cauterizing the wounds with fire?" and I feel dirty now. But yeah, mainly the interaction. I don't have the attention span for it anymore. I don't want to spend half an hour sitting around while the players try pulling on torch sconces and pushing random stones and pulling books off the shelf. Something has been lost.
First, kudos for you for teaching them how to be more interactive and not just hack everything to death.

Second, I hear you on getting bored watching the characters declare all the things they're doing until finally you let them find the secret door. If my wife's characters say they're searching carefully, rather than waiting for the EXACT PHRASING to come up I instead am at greater pains to come up with some kind of interesting way that THIS secret door opens. We're supposed to be having fun and I get bored waiting for the exact right description of the arbitrary physical action I chose to be described. And man oh man am I tired of pit traps, especially after running Barrowmaze for... only two days.

Maybe there's a way to make the hunt for the perfect answer fun. I haven't found it. I am reminded a little of the kind of GM who only allows the villain to go down in ONE predetermined way rather than permitting creative problem solving to win out. It's not identical in outlook, but it's related.

Yes, but is it a cause of that view, or an effect? People learn how to game from those modules.

And I think the bad modules came first, because they are easier and faster to write than good ones.
I was in junior high in the 1970s, and I got introduced to AD&D, not basic, although friends of friends sometimes had basic modules. In our little corner of the world it was hard to lay hands on modules, so we didn't have much to model off of. The first one I was unfortunate enough to pick up was Tomb of Horrors. Even reading through it I saw that wasn't really what I wanted to play. I remember going to an overnight with two friends who wanted me to DM and they had Isle of Dread and Village of H. The village one looked pretty boring, but flipping through Isle of Dread was incredibly confusing. How was I supposed to flip through that and simply start running it?

As a kid, unless you were in a larger city, how were you to have access to products that showcased a good dungeon design or even campaign design? I rarely had access to modules and most of them weren't very conducive to starting a campaign -- and there wasn't much advice on how to do that anyway. Maybe that's why so many modules are so bad.

Bryce's principles about making the module easy to run when you open the darned thing are EXACTLY what 11 year old me needed when he was asked to try to run Dread or Village of H at a moment's notice all those years ago. Now if we could only get most of the major producers to get those "module as technical writing principles" as well it would probably get even more people playing...

Beoric

This is the Jon Stewart school of debate. Mock valid points when you can't deny them.

Only the foolish are fooled.
You made an assertion without a hint of evidence, it gets lumped in with all the assertions of things that corrupt youth throughout history that didn't have any evidence. Like **checks notes** D&D.

EDIT: Also, there are plenty of thinking video war games. And we are discussing lately in this thread why people might have learned to play non-sandbox games, without having to just blame "Hollywood".

Last edited:

Beoric

I was in junior high in the 1970s, and I got introduced to AD&D, not basic, although friends of friends sometimes had basic modules. In our little corner of the world it was hard to lay hands on modules, so we didn't have much to model off of. The first one I was unfortunate enough to pick up was Tomb of Horrors. Even reading through it I saw that wasn't really what I wanted to play. I remember going to an overnight with two friends who wanted me to DM and they had Isle of Dread and Village of H. The village one looked pretty boring, but flipping through Isle of Dread was incredibly confusing. How was I supposed to flip through that and simply start running it?

As a kid, unless you were in a larger city, how were you to have access to products that showcased a good dungeon design or even campaign design? I rarely had access to modules and most of them weren't very conducive to starting a campaign -- and there wasn't much advice on how to do that anyway. Maybe that's why so many modules are so bad.

Bryce's principles about making the module easy to run when you open the darned thing are EXACTLY what 11 year old me needed when he was asked to try to run Dread or Village of H at a moment's notice all those years ago. Now if we could only get most of the major producers to get those "module as technical writing principles" as well it would probably get even more people playing...
I agree with this, and almost talked about it in the post you responded to. The early modules were sandboxy, but did a poor job of teaching you how to use them, other than repeated admonitions to "make it your own" and, in some, advice that the NPCs should respond to PC actions (how?). Like, Hommlet has great content but lousy presentation (bite me squeen); you know there is supposed to be tension between the factions, but other than the odd bit of suspicion there is no guidance as to how that should play out. The sample of play in the DMG and some of the Basic+ books weren't sample of this kind of play.

I think I have said this before, but it bears repeating. Modules like Hommlet are great because of the stories surrounding them, that DMs and players tell about how it turned out, which give some inkling about how to play. The transmission of this knowledge for a long time was of older players to younger players, but now there is a lot on the internet. But the kicker is, you need to know it is there to look for it, which is getting harder due to the enshitification of Google. OTOH, railroady modules teach DMs exactly how they are supposed to be run by laying everything out for them.

DMSGuild could really benefit from a series of supplements that explain how to run classic modules in the classic style, like a Beginner's Guide to Running the Village of Hommlet (or whatever).

Yeah, this is hard. I have had some success by explaining the advantages out of game (e.g. "Your chance of the thief finding a trap is crappy, and traps are pretty lethal, but if you find it narratively it is automatic" - also works for treasure). If they are pixel-bitching I remind them that every time they roll a check, I roll a wandering monster check. As for interacting with monsters, the monsters may need to take the lead for a while ("If you kill me, you'll never find the Ruby of Balthazaar!" the bandit says as he eats the treasure map).

I think it's a matter of tailoring the incentives to the players. I assume, in addition to killing the wolves, they didn't skin them; have them encounter a furrier with a sign in his window, "Will pay GOLD for WOLF PELTS". Oops. Then, when they try to sell pelts later, "Hmm, see those white tufts on the ears? This skin came from a white-tipped wolf. Pity you had to kill it, those things are easy to train and are worth 10 times as much alive." Oops again.

I think the best practice for things like the thoul are to have hints. The first troll or thoul is a puzzle monster. Like, if every humanoid has a campfire, and you point out that this one doesn't. Or there have been thoul attacks lately, and the only caravans that were attacked were the ones carrying sunrods/cold fire torches, while the thing has inexplicably run away from smaller parties that carried torches. A smithy was inexplicably left alone while the houses around it were sacked. Someone saw it running away from an ooze. You found the body of a famous troll hunter, and he is carrying lots of oil and vials of acid. Also, if the thoul is a boss, they might actually have enough sense to run away if they haven't figured out the solution and are getting their asses kicked.

Although honestly, in a world where trolls are are only uncommon, I figure stories about how they are defeated are pretty common, and pretty much everyone knows their vulnerabilities. In which case some oldtimer may be able to say of the rarer thoul, "It regenerates, eh? Only monster I know that regenerates is a troll. Fire and acid is good for trolls, but I don't know what might work for this thing."

The1True

And man oh man am I tired of pit traps, especially after running Barrowmaze for... only two days.
Yeah. That's fair.
There are a couple of tables at the back of the book to sex traps up a bit, but it's a struggle to find it. Even when I printed it out and added it to my notes folder. They definitely got added as an afterthought and are entirely circumventable with the use of a 10' pole.
But, don't give up on them. Your players will scoff at their easy detectability and genericness until the first time they are forced to flee blindly from one of the many snowballing encounter situations. And vice-versa, they may get smart and use the pits to their own advantage at some point. They're more a tactical hazard than an exploratory one.

The1True

The first troll or thoul is a puzzle monster.
They came so close. My youngest was like "oh hey, this is like the story of Hercules!" and I was SO proud for 2.4 seconds, then he said "yeah, he had to roll the boulder down the hill at the thing, right?" and I wanted to weep 😭

squeen

You made an assertion without a hint of evidence, it gets lumped in with all the assertions of things that corrupt youth throughout history that didn't have any evidence. Like **checks notes** D&D.
Thank you for thought-policing me. (said no one)

I realize I don't know you guys hardly at all -- not even real world human names -- but I hate to see any bad feelings developing in what's one of my favorite spots on the interwebs.

If I may, I think there's a valid point to be made about the change in society being at the root of some of this. Most modern gamers come to tabletop RPGs after having grown up with video games that have NPCs only programmed to reply to certain answers and expecting to run fetch quests, etc. and my 20 something son has reported he's met GMs that run their games like that -- they can't improvise well if they can't see an answer to the question in the list of stuff the NPC is supposed to say.

And then there's the fact that there's SO MUCH MORE cool spec fic stuff available to watch than there was when, if I am inferring correctly, we were kidlings. Not to mention the video games. No wonder kids aren't reading as much (although don't get me started on them being force fed problem lit novels rather than being encouraged to read anything that will excite them about reading, as happened with both my children). Why read about a hero (or about mopey mopers who are powerless and selfish, as my kids were forced to do again and again by their schools, but I digress) when you can BE a hero in a video game?

So yeah, things have changed and will continue to do so and sometimes change is liberating and nifty at the same time it also can lead to new problems.

It's swell that the people who dig story games can go play them. I just hate to see other fantasy shoved aside, but maybe there's still room at the table. Seems like there is. I'm reminded of the way big fat fantasy has so dominated the fantasy book market that there's been no room for sword-and-sorcery for... decades, and that a whole bunch of modern readers don't know that fantasy doesn't HAVE to be glacially paced and info dumpy.

But once again I digress. My real point here is that you folks in these threads seem pretty cool and I like seeing your thoughts and I hate to see you arguing. Live long and prosper.

Last edited:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Over the last few days I've been combing through modules I splurge bought over the years -- many in the years before I was aware of this and a few other trusted review sites -- and My God but they're bad. So very very many of them are room after room of some kind of lethal trap or monster that you can't interact with, waiting to attack the moment you enter the cchamber. Where's the wonder? Where's the joy in exploration and the cool creatures to talk with?

I started to do that...read over all the old modules I had. I started to read A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity. I remembered it as a young player with fondness....but I read it and thought it was crap. There was stuff that just didn't make sense or missed opportunities for better design. My memories were quickly getting soured. So I sold everything.

I barely buy anything anymore because I read it all with a critical eye and don't enjoy it or I don't want to subconsciously steal ideas.
I have bought adventures that reviewers, like Bryce, have praised and just don't agree. It's like @Howard Andrew Jones example of trying to use Tomb of Horrors and realizing it was just something he didn't want to play (I felt the same way with that one). That's how I felt about the Blue Medusa (and Carbon Observatory) or whatever that art project was that everyone was praising to the moon...I think I read 5 pages and just put it down, knowing that I wouldn't use it. It didn't capture the vibe I enjoy (although I admit it looked creative, just not my thing.). And some of the others that are well praised, seem dry to me or I had a difficult time imagining what play would look like while reading it.

Makes me ponder what that vibe is that I crave when reading adventures. I remember reading Huso's Geir Loe Cyn-crul and loving it! There was some sort of vibe that I really dug about it. Bryce reviewed it and summed it up as good but a pretty big hack fest--which I can't really argue with...I dont like high level dungeons where people just put in 4 dragons in a room for a challenge or 100 trolls, I prefer something like the Perfect Avatar from Slyth Hive for a challenge--something new and different and awe-inspiring, because just adding in dragons takes away the awe of dragons for me. I'm not a huge fan of a hackfest either, but I do remember Geir Loe captured my imagination in that I could picture how play would occur or how I would DM it...OR how I, as a player, would probably operate in that situation. Maybe it was the map and the size of the dungeon, or the different challenges that were met.....What do you call that vibe?--because I'd like to label that somehow.

That vibe was captured a lot when I was younger and read adventures all the time, but I lost it and/or became too critical of adventures (including my own) on my own quest to becoming a better designer. I think there is something between terse (which I label 'dry'--to a point) to evocative (which some people could potentially label 'fluff') that is the golden spot. I only know it when I read it.

squeen

@Howard Andrew Jones : Don't be concerned. Boeric knows I disagree with where he's coming from in the hobby and socially, that's nothing new. Normally, I bite my tongue and let him have his say (like the nonsense in the orc's-are-evil thread) and expect the same latitude. When the detente gets broken (as above) things get spicy. Right now, I am running with a low tolerance to being bullied or belittled by those that cannot tolerate dissenting opinions, but, in better times, I've got a higher threshold for ass-hat-ery.

Long story short: we've lived through this before and it likely won't sink the ship. You did nothing wrong, and all is well. I hope you're not too put off by my bluntness. It'll fade from the conversation now, and I encourage you to grab the reins and continue asking those good questions.

@Howard Andrew Jones : Don't be concerned. ... I hope you're not too put off by my bluntness. It'll fade from the conversation now, and I encourage you to grab the reins and continue asking those good questions.
I'm all good here.

I enjoy what you both have to say on a variety of topics, and what with the forum being pretty quiet overall I momentarily feared I had returned to this place just in time to see it, too, fade into memory.

squeen

There's an ebb and flow to conversation, and yet the regulars always monitor. So much has already been said, and the peak was during COVID when we all had much more time and the forum was brand spankin' new. We are in forum "middle age" now, and post slower. It's good to have some new blood and opinions.

What I hope you are discovering is that Bryce has made some very good insights over time and we've all churned it over in countless ways.

Personally, my kids are in their early 20s now, mostly out of college, and a bit scattered. The weekly games have dried up, so I am "drifting" right now --- trying to stay motivated to finish writing up the world for publishing without the impetuous of a looming session. Mid-life crisis, and all that.

Beoric

And man oh man am I tired of pit traps, especially after running Barrowmaze for... only two days.
Yeah. That's fair.
There are a couple of tables at the back of the book to sex traps up a bit, but it's a struggle to find it. Even when I printed it out and added it to my notes folder. They definitely got added as an afterthought and are entirely circumventable with the use of a 10' pole.
But, don't give up on them. Your players will scoff at their easy detectability and genericness until the first time they are forced to flee blindly from one of the many snowballing encounter situations. And vice-versa, they may get smart and use the pits to their own advantage at some point. They're more a tactical hazard than an exploratory one.
Courtney Campbell has some good stuff on pits, makes every one a puzzle. Also, I like to put a secret door in the pit every once in a while, or otherwise create incentives to explore the things from time to time.

I started to do that...read over all the old modules I had. I started to read A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity. I remembered it as a young player with fondness....but I read it and thought it was crap. There was stuff that just didn't make sense or missed opportunities for better design. My memories were quickly getting soured. So I sold everything.
Yeah, a lot of the tournament dungeons aren't well suited to campaign play without a lot of work. I remember A1 in particular for its abysmal above-ground map, which is hell to make sense of every time I look at it.

I still like Tamoachan, though.

I'm reading N1 right now, with a view to starting a campaign with it. It has a lot of problems, but one thing it does well is show how a sandbox might work, in that there is a discussion of what happens if the PCs dawdle, and some indication of how events and NPCs might react to player actions. Mixed in with some (IMO) not great DMing advice, unfortunately, but at least it is there.