The popularity of tabletop roleplaying and explosive growth in digital sales. Interesting DrivethruRPG numbers yet again.

robertsconley

*eyeroll*
So recently I visited a Barnes and Nobles for the first time in forever. While looking through the store I came across this.

and in a bit of a surprise there was a table full of merchandising much of it typical of folks trying to follow the latest fad.

So DnD and roleplaying are a thing again not longer relegated (for now) to a single shelf in the back corner of the science fiction and fantasy section.

So this got me thinking about something I haven't done in a while. Crunching the order numbers from my sales to get a sense of how DriveThruRPG and other Onebookshelf sites are doing.

I posted on this back in February of 2014 and in May of 2015.

So this weekend I went through my sales and pulled the numbers. Also I wanted to see what effect the pandemic had so I did a month by month starting in December of 2019.

It is rare that a day goes by that somebody doesn't download a copy of the free PDF of Blackmarsh. So for my data, I can get a order number on January 1st (or the first of the month) and produce the above. But keep in mind that this doesn't show absolute sales only relative sales. Many order numbers are probably internal orders used to manage OBS day to day business. And these order are across the various various OBS storefronts like Wargames Vault.

So it looks like Covid pandemic had an effect as April of 2020 and May of 2020 showed sales well above the usual month to month growth. With 1,086,556 orders processed in April and 828,972 orders processed in May.

Year to year, digital sales have achieved phenomenal growth and has grown by an order of magnitude (10x) since 2008.

If folks want to crunch the numbers for themselves I provided a link to the spreadsheet below.

Order Numbers for DriveThruRPG

Here what I see when I run a sales report. I blacked out the customer #.

\

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Year to year, digital sales have achieved phenomenal growth and has grown by an order of magnitude (10x) since 2008.
Is there a corollary to this? Like creators should be demanding a bigger cut from OBS or something?

robertsconley

*eyeroll*
Is there a corollary to this? Like creators should be demanding a bigger cut from OBS or something?
Well aside from watching OBS like a hawk I don't think there needs to be anything done at the moment aside from discourage the no derivative clause OBS and IP holder tack onto most of their Community Content Program.

If push comes to shove, there other ways to sell PDFs and physical products on the internet. Just the publisher will have to work extra hard to build an audience.

There is a general trend in the software world to give small vendors tools to sell physical and digital goods. For example cash registers are rapidly becoming a tablet and a credit card reader that can be taken anywhere the vendor sells and has internet access (wifi or cell). You have Etsy for physical good, Itch for digital goods. The big issue is gaining an audience which takes time, attention to small details, doing good work, and refining what you do creatively so you don't get a bad review on ten foot pole ;)

The1True

I think we've talked a bit about building an audience on another thread here. It seems exhausting and in the case of some creators (like that Zweihander guy) a little disingenuous. To be fair, who has time to build up an honest presence across multiple nerd platforms. I think I've mentioned before that I'd like to see a central advertising platform for indy/osr/diy etc.

robertsconley

*eyeroll*
I think we've talked a bit about building an audience on another thread here. It seems exhausting and in the case of some creators (like that Zweihander guy) a little disingenuous. To be fair, who has time to build up an honest presence across multiple nerd platforms. I think I've mentioned before that I'd like to see a central advertising platform for indy/osr/diy etc.
From my day job is writing and maintaining software that controls the metal cutting machines that the company I work for sell, I seen different ways of "selling". Zweihander is an approach but not the only one.

You don't need to go rah rah rah like the Zweihander pitch, but you do need to put something of yourself out there like a blog or social media posts. However it can be low key and understated if that how one operates. Just need to have be something periodic, and represent your best and sincere work. And over time it will build an audience. Once you think you can sell to a 100 individual in a year* then going the extra steps of publications will feel worthwhile.

Personally I only put a lot of work into my blog, participate in a handful of forums, and really only use social media groups to announce a blog post. My posting fell off a cliff in 2015 when I ran out of stuff from my old files. I generally only like to post when I have something concrete or useful to say. The biggest thing I had to learn is not to worry about what other folks are doing.

*You will get half of that initially and the rest will trickle in over the year.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
If you go to MeWe and all the different RPG groups. Everyone posts the same thing...it just feels like a big advertisement and people repeat it on every single channel. Is it really useful? Do people clamber to go look at each channel to maybe find a rare discussion item as they wade through all the promotions?

On forums, I just stopped promoting like I used too. It was like throwing a dry noodle at a wall. It didn't generate discussion (except this forum it did which was cool). I just go to/post on forums now because I'm interested in something.

I tampered with FB--even buying ads during kickstarters. It raised my 'followers' or whatever, but did it lead to sales? I don't think it did. I left Facebook. I have a Instagram...mainly because I like checking out fantasy art posts. I like to post original art from my stuff there sometimes....sometimes as in 1-2x a year.

Email to past buyers on Drivethru...I do that very rarely as I hate clogging up people's email, but it seems to work ok? I think..? Deal of the Day seems to work alright.

My blog...well that's on me. I'm not good at updating it. I like to write something I'm excited about or if I have some updates. I got around 20 people who may check it out, which is cool by me. I may start to discuss my thought process a bit on adventures--but I'm doing that more for fun than trying to sell something. I've also tampered with World Anvil which seems pretty cool, but haven't had the time to really get into it. I could see World Anvil taking the place of my blog/website at some point. I'd love to put up the world we are creating and with the interactive map, people could click on an area and learn about the region, check out the dungeons there, etc. Those interactive maps are neat.

Bottom line--I found advertising a complete soul-suck and made me hate my hobby. I try to do it a little during Kickstarters, but I'm content to just not do it. The 20 or so people that visit my blog when I post are rockstars...just wish they could comment once in awhile so I didn't feel like I was in a void. But that's why I come to this forum...pretty good discussions happen here.

robertsconley

*eyeroll*
If you go to MeWe and all the different RPG groups. Everyone posts the same thing...it just feels like a big advertisement and people repeat it on every single channel. Is it really useful? Do people clamber to go look at each channel to maybe find a rare discussion item as they wade through all the promotions?
I know the facebook and MeWe groups that I post have some overlap I would hazard a guess of 40% to 50%? I know I get between 300 and 500 views from doing this. (I tested this twice with two different posts since the demise of Google+). So half (200ish) would be reached by just one or two posts and but the rest are scattered among the different group.

On forums, I just stopped promoting like I used too. It was like throwing a dry noodle at a wall. It didn't generate discussion (except this forum it did which was cool). I just go to/post on forums now because I'm interested in something.
My view my post are a form of advertisement. Discussion died off for 80% of my posts after the advent of Google+.

Breaking it down.
I post as a form of organizing ideas that benefit from an essay. The posting process forces me to take the first step in making it useful for others. As opposed as handy memory aide for yourself.

I post to inform folks of what I am doing. I generally do this when I have reached a significant milestone.

I may post to advocate or criticize when it touches on open content and open license. But in general I don't like to write critical post as much as I did in the past.

I may post to highlight something else somebody is doing because like it or not it is a community of folks with shared interests.

I will periodically post useful rough draft of material as a form advertisement for what I do and to promote open content.
For example my Merchant Rules.

For discussion fun and shooting the shit I participate on a handful of forums like this one.

I will do podcast with folks I worked with or are friends. So far they have been either a discussion among enthusiasts or promoting my latest stuff. In general these days the latter goes hand and hand with having a kickstarter to promote.

I am not pro or anti-kickstarter. But I won't do one unless the stuff is done and all there left is either commissioning art or hiring an editor. And hopefully my reserve of money is enough that I don't need a finished kickstarter to fund editing. That way I can have a edited, laid out project. And I can really zero in my art budget because I have a list of exactly what I need. Instead of a list that I am only 75% sure of.

I tampered with FB--even buying ads during kickstarters. It raised my 'followers' or whatever, but did it lead to sales? I don't think it did. I left Facebook. I have a Instagram...mainly because I like checking out fantasy art posts. I like to post original art from my stuff there sometimes....sometimes as in 1-2x a year.
I really miss Google+. But so far Facebook Groups make a difference. As well as MeWe but not as much.

Email to past buyers on Drivethru...I do that very rarely as I hate clogging up people's email, but it seems to work ok? I think..? Deal of the Day seems to work alright.
The issue I seen trying to take advantage of my Blackmarsh buyers is been out so long that I don't know how many actually get to a recipient. Plus I been doing a lot of Judges Guild or my own system stuff. My upcoming Majestic Fantasy Realms project will be the test of see how much a difference contacting my Blackmarsh buyers make.

My blog...well that's on me. I'm not good at updating it. I like to write something I'm excited about or if I have some updates. I got around 20 people who may check it out, which is cool by me. I may start to discuss my thought process a bit on adventures--but I'm doing that more for fun than trying to sell something. I've also tampered with World Anvil which seems pretty cool, but haven't had the time to really get into it. I could see World Anvil taking the place of my blog/website at some point. I'd love to put up the world we are creating and with the interactive map, people could click on an area and learn about the region, check out the dungeons there, etc. Those interactive maps are neat.
After running out of my old notes, I started to think about what I will be posting about and over the following years, got a handle on it. I think it important as a way to keep practice writing for others, and to keep folks informed. But it doesn't have to be every day. I suspect the sweet spot is between 4 to 6 times a month.

Bottom line--I found advertising a complete soul-suck and made me hate my hobby. I try to do it a little during Kickstarters, but I'm content to just not do it. The 20 or so people that visit my blog when I post are rockstars...just wish they could comment once in awhile so I didn't feel like I was in a void. But that's why I come to this forum...pretty good discussions happen here.
So try this. Tell me what the next thing you are working on for formal publication. After you are done, you just advertised. ;) Or share a neat chapter or section of something you made along with some brief comments. Again you just advertised. Don't think of it advertisement but letting folks you know like your stuff know what going on with what you doing.

Of course with a forum generally you are responding or talking to a specific person or group. I admit not quite the same as making a blog post. However it not that different either.

Finally for the more formal ad situations try to have fun with it. Do something that represent you rather then what you think ought to happen. I like Tampier line art in the PHB so I made some ads in that style. And I had fun making these

Demonwolf.jpg WorldOutside2.jpg 1626804622522.png

Hope some of this helps.

Malrex

I know the facebook and MeWe groups that I post have some overlap I would hazard a guess of 40% to 50%? I know I get between 300 and 500 views from doing this. (I tested this twice with two different posts since the demise of Google+). So half (200ish) would be reached by just one or two posts and but the rest are scattered among the different group.
That's good info. I just don't feel comfortable posting to groups on there so would usually just post on Merciless Merchants facebook page. I left FB though, so I still throw up some stuff on MeWe from time to time.

I may post to highlight something else somebody is doing because like it or not it is a community of folks with shared interests.
I do that once in awhile, or try to jump in to bump it up if I see it and support it.

For discussion fun and shooting the shit I participate on a handful of forums like this one.
I just usually shoot the shit. I did a few reviews for people on Dragonsfoot, but did that for fun/was asked/ or was trying to help out. I was going to do it more often, but the lack of discussion kinda killed it for me. That's why I like it here cause we delve into design a bit.

I am not pro or anti-kickstarter. But I won't do one unless the stuff is done and all there left is either commissioning art or hiring an editor.
Kickstarters are stressful. I try to have everything done as much as possible--even risking the cost for the cover and maybe 2-3 art pieces to help tell the story of what I'm doing. Even that is stressful as some artists take up a lot of time and I don't like relying on people. As Prince can attest, I hate being late.

The issue I seen trying to take advantage of my Blackmarsh buyers is been out so long that I don't know how many actually get to a recipient. Plus I been doing a lot of Judges Guild or my own system stuff. My upcoming Majestic Fantasy Realms project will be the test of see how much a difference contacting my Blackmarsh buyers make.
Last few times I've done this, about half of my people block the emails or no longer wish to receive the emails. I get it though, I've done that to a few of the places I have bought before. It can just clog up the email. This approach though feels different--at least I know people may be somewhat interested as they have purchased in the past--so it feels more appropriate to me. I probably do this 3-4x a year.

I suspect the sweet spot is between 4 to 6 times a month.
I'm hoping for once a month. At least, I want that to be my sweet spot.

So try this. Tell me what the next thing you are working on for formal publication. After you are done, you just advertised. ;) Or share a neat chapter or section of something you made along with some brief comments. Again you just advertised. Don't think of it advertisement but letting folks you know like your stuff know what going on with what you doing.
It's cool that you mentioned this because I have literally just starting thinking about this about a month ago (but havent acted on it). This is what feels comfortable for me to 'advertise' as it doesn't feel like advertising--and Id mainly do it on my blog. I told myself this weekend I need to do a post about the adventure I'm working on for a Kickstarter. I also have one of the adventures in our big adventure of Coppercore that I was literally just going to break it down and explain why I did things I did, the challenges I had, etc. Basically people could get a dungeon for free and get a sense of what is going to be in the greater adventure. I literally have no idea if people are interested in this or not, but at least I would find it a little fun to do that....and if its not fun, then it doesn't belong in my hobby.

EOTB

I feel what Malrex is saying. I recognize that if I wanted to be a top hundredaire I should be out socializing my thoughts and day-to-day rpg content in all these different places, and I just...hate social media.

It's also very hard for me to tell myself "you have three hours today to advance your project, but what will serve the project best is to spend two of those three hours posting about it".

I'm dipping my toes in that direction, but it's very much against my natural grain.

(I have made some progress in the direction of spending that time on the project though, instead of pointless debating as much AD&D minutia on forums ;)

Palindromedary

*eyeroll*
Heh, I'm in the same boat. I'm proud of what I create, but I can't stand telling anyone about it unless it's directly relevant to the conversation at hand. The vast majority of advertising from others irks me as well, unless it's from a trusted source (I don't want to miss out on good stuff; it's just so rarely good). It's why I've felt MeWe has been such a colossal disappointment in terms of being a G+ replacement: every time I go on there I just feel like it's people pimping their blogs, and the content doesn't seem particularly remarkable.

I like the idea of this place being a home for creative anti-socials. I've enjoyed a great deal of whatever the people here have produced, whether it be products or forums posts or whatever.

The1True

Last few times I've done this, about half of my people block the emails or no longer wish to receive the emails. I get it though, I've done that to a few of the places I have bought before. It can just clog up the email. This approach though feels different--at least I know people may be somewhat interested as they have purchased in the past--so it feels more appropriate to me. I probably do this 3-4x a year.
I'm on a couple of creators' mailing lists from DTRPG and I'm always happy to get spam from them unless they take a hard u-turn from whatever they were producing when I first bought a product from them til now (like the guy who did that amazing 'King for a Day' and then sheared off into story gaming). I feel like that's often a fair trade-off for a free or PWYW product.