Updates

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
I think I'm going to eliminate the adventure references section. This was going to cite several adventure clips, both negative and positive, for each section, useing them as examples. I think instead I will use platonic examples. This lightens further the research burden, WHICH I FUCKING HATE, and allows me to stop procrastinating. Or, rather, procrastinating as much.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Does this mean Tickles escapes scrutiny?

Even though you have it on you blog...it might be worth considering having a list of good adventures with a sentence not about the adventure, but about the layout and design or it being evocative--what you like about it, what they did right, why its easy to scan. And maybe even breaking down sections of that into dungeon vs. city adventures--give examples of a good 'mind map' for city/social adventures, or how art was used to perfect effect etc. I think that's extremely useful and keeps things positive.

Then, you could direct people to the Worst Evar section on your blog with a link after a quick paragraph of why the ones on the list didn't hit the mark. This softens the blow for publishers a little as it doesn't make any necessarily stand out by themselves or be listed 'forever' inside a book and people would have to hunt for it if they wanted to look. But, for those who truly want to learn, they need to study the good and the bad and it would be helpful to have a list of examples of both in my opinion.

Something else to consider, which I think would be helpful and pretty cool....having a chapter exploring your own experiment with Black Maw. The good and the bad or the challenges you had. And even going into detail about your methods for sparking your imagination to help write it or tips you picked up.
My 2 cents.

Slick

*eyeroll*
What if the adventure references section is included as a separate document. Like a play aid for the DM????

bryce0lynch

Staff member
In recent news ...

I have now beaten Civ5 on Diety.
I am deep in to Albion Land of Faerie.
Because I bought Albion, Fed & Empire, AirCav, and Downtown: The Air War Over Hanoi. Because evidentally I am in to warames now. And I bought a bunch of steam games on sale. And I have taken up felting. And I have not written a section this week and don't want to right now. But I am stress eating, I think? :(

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I respond to deadlines in a similar fashion: an significant increased interest in distractions and eating junk.

bryce0lynch

Staff member
Ok, I'm back bitches.

Albion sucks. AirCav sucked. Fed & Empire & Downtown have not been explored yet. I've got a new girlfriend. I bought a truck and am turning it in to another camper/RV (and am getting FUCKING SCREWED in the process.) Let's see, got a subscription to The Paris Review. Was reminded by I dislike the Paris Review. (It's fucking depressing. "Good lit" seems to be "depressing lit." Lame.) I've watched every video on Youtube. Twice. I've made a few croquembouche's. I got tested a few times for bat plague. I've fixed a bunch of stuff. I've felted Christmas ornaments. I've done a million different things to avoid life. Then a cat died.

The beloved Prince Barin, the best cat who has ever lived, died suddenly, instantly, at age 7. He was no longer mine, lost in the divorce, but the ex lives down the hall from me in the building, so, it's sad. Which causes incidents of self-reflection that can't be ignored with youtube videos, truck work, or single malt. Which causes me to remember, once a fucking again, who I am. A creator.

Create. Don't consume. I'm back. I think.

Also, colonoscopy in about two weeks. I'm not pleased with the idea of anesthesia

Two orcs

Officially better than you, according to PoN
You can do colonoscopies with light or completely without sedation.

Johann

*eyeroll*
What's the current status of the project?

Is there an overview, rough outline, missions statement, table of contents, partial draft, sample chapter etc. particularly suited to point people to?

(Inquiring minds want to know. Specifically, I'm discussing Eero Tuovinen's upcoming Muster: an old school primer on Discord and people agreed on the need for a thorough treatment of "How to write an adventure?" I'd like to point 'em here -- but where, exactly?).

bryce0lynch

Staff member
I am as neglectful as always.

Anyway, good progress on the truck; I'm near a stopping point. Also, the snow and cold has be locked up more inside. Also I'm SUPER bored and somehow have found A LOT more time on my hands. I don't get it. Clearly, I have stopped doing something? But I don't know what? Anyway ...

I've written every day for the last three days and it's picking up speed.

bryce0lynch

Staff member
And, for anyone checking the thread, there's a draft google doc copy of the book linked up and the individual sections, before expansion and editing, are here in this section of the foruum.

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
And, for anyone checking the thread, there's a draft google doc copy of the book linked up and the individual sections, before expansion and editing, are here in this section of the foruum.
Where da link? I don't see the blue hyperlink. Book draft sounds hype

bryce0lynch

Staff member
A) All of the book concepts are, in their rough forms, present in this section of the forum. This is the section of the forum I reserve for the book. IE: the entire point of me running a forum was to do it in the open for accountability purposes. Ha! http://tenfootpole.org/forum/index.php?forums/bryce-adventure-design.22/

B) I have now put the entire thing together in a google doc and have shifted from the forum editing to editing in that doc directly. It is in rough chapters (ease of use, evocativeness, interactivity, other) but no real organization in those chapters, or even if they should be IN those chapters, yet.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dcy8GS_AsIriTudPCqmcfhrCIHHedvOMWZSg2_55vbA/edit?usp=sharing

C) The next step is for me to fill in the sections that are missing (marked "missing", weird enough.) Then I am likley to put all titles on index cards and try to lay out the book and move chapters around. Then I will edit each section anew. Then I will insert examples. This will complete the major effort on the book.

D) Ennui and perfectionism.

E) I made Vietnamese egg coffee yesterday and now my coffee this morning tastes like shit. I wonder if I cleaned the cup? I wonder if it tastes bad because i DID clean the cup?

F) The intro is cringe from many years ago. The ideas need expansion in to stories. It needs to be a lot less Bryce, or, perhaps, a different Bryce.

G) Feel free to comment on the draft. Either in the forum or in the document. I'm doing this publicly for a reason.

squeen

I will take some time this weekend to review the text. Glad to hear it's clicking for you.

bryce0lynch

Staff member
I am currently filling in the "Missing" sections of the document. IE: headings marked (Missing)

Johann

*eyeroll*
I've read the first ten parts or so and think they're excellent. Maybe I'll get around to more useful comments later...

bryce0lynch

Staff member
You people are gonna go nuts copy editing this.
All I'm workin on right now is the content. I PROMISE to have a real editor when the ideas are in the book.

Continue to argue with me and raise new points.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I will take all edits in to condieration and most likely make them, I just don't want you duplicate effort.

I'll put out another wider call to review it one I ...

1) Finish with the missing content
2) Do a content edit and reorg of the chapter/section order
3) DO a copyedit
4) Insert examples
5) Issue a call to review the book
6) Integrate comments
7) Send off to a real edit

squeen

Wheew! There's a lot there. I started pooping phraseology-edits on it, but ran out of time. I'll keep at it if you aren't already PO'd.

Also, maybe try (just for the next stage) numbering the sections and subsections like a technical manual. That might help you see the form of the content and identify where the missing pieces are.

1.0 Introduction
1.1 Background
1.2 Scope

2.0 Settings
2.1 Mythic Underworld

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
You people are gonna go nuts copy editing this.
All I'm workin on right now is the content. I PROMISE to have a real editor when the ideas are in the book.

Continue to argue with me and raise new points.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I will take all edits in to condieration and most likely make them, I just don't want you duplicate effort.

I'll put out another wider call to review it one I ...

1) Finish with the missing content
2) Do a content edit and reorg of the chapter/section order
3) DO a copyedit
4) Insert examples
5) Issue a call to review the book
6) Integrate comments
7) Send off to a real edit
Cool...I skimmed it. I'd be ok with taking a more serious in-depth stab at it once it's more tight if you think that would be useful. I think you really need to think about how you will organize it all (editor will help with this). It feels like you jump around with each subject--which...is understandable as all the points somewhat relate to one another but I think you need to be solid with each subject matter...then reference it in other places if needed. I'm happy to hear you are going to get a editor for it ( I recommend Ynas Midgard). And I really think this book would be powerful if you include some visuals of what you are talking about--show some examples of what you think is great (maps (lighting, etc.), mind maps of towns, difference of encounter tables (monsters doing shit, etc.),....flow charts?). I could see this helping people immensely. Maybe include Black Maw in the back as an example.

Finally...I think it would be very useful to quote 3-5 different room descriptions somewhere...and rip them apart--SHOW, don't TELL how you edit these descriptions. This would be huge in my opinion. Trim the fat...work with what you are presented with and trim it so that its terse, evocative, etc. Use bullet points or bolding or whatever--SHOW your readers what YOU think looks best--just don't TELL us...SHOW us. These would be your most powerful, helpful, examples in my opinion.