[Kickstarter] The Coming of Winter, but let's talk about something else...

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
So you say this, but do you know what Ben Milton, Kevin Crawford and Kelsey Dione all have in common? Email Newsletters that they think are the most effective form of social media for staying in touch with customers: www.youtube.com/watch?v=psC6J_9Sekc (starts at 2 minutes, but the actual interview was interesting also imo). Apparently the people who continue to have success have built it partially via these newsletters.
This is the link and info I was looking for. VERY helpful. Thank you. Ill have to re-think my strategy. This all makes sense now, because I never or rarely see ads on social media for these huge kickstarters that turn out (although that's not saying much since I don't visit social media all that often). I'd rather update people who want to know rather than spewing over social media everywhere.

Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding this? Does DTRPG not give you a list of past customers? Or at least a means to blind-contact past customers? For sure I haven't signed up for further notifications from some of the creators I've purchased from. I still get their spam nonetheless...
It's a list of blind contacts. I don't get anyone's email off it. But what really sucks, is I can't send out an email with a link to say my pre-launch page to my Kickstarter or to my website. Any links have to go to products on Drivethrurpg only. They do allow 2 emails for Kickstarters--usually once when you launch, and one more when you are about to end. So ya..when I make an announcement about a new product or something (so like 3-4x a year), it goes out to about 7k people....but the email only goes out to about 3k people because most block the 'spam' and then who knows who actually reads it. So it's somewhat helpful.

Thanks for everyone's thoughtful input, etc. I'm getting excited to be able to have more confidence and less stress in commissioning art and at least breaking even with some of these projects through Kickstarter.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
So much of what I see in RPGs right now is consumerism run rampant. Folks get excited about getting excited and throw money at the next hot thing. They just want to buy something. I'm not sure it's rational.
Ya got me. I definitely buy books for comfort occasionally. It is distinctly irrational. I want something shiny and new with beautiful maps and nice illustrations. I want that feeling I got when I first picked up "I5 Lost Tomb of Martek" (don't judge) at the bookshop when I was a kid.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Ya got me. I definitely buy books for comfort occasionally. It is distinctly irrational. I want something shiny and new with beautiful maps and nice illustrations. I want that feeling I got when I first picked up "I5 Lost Tomb of Martek" (don't judge) at the bookshop when I was a kid.
When I am tried or stressed and just want something to lift me up, t's so tempting to *buy*.

Ultimately, it doesn't really help. These days I'm trying to consume less and less focus of the fun I have creating and playing.

To be honest, back in my halcyon days of youth, we kind of turned our noses up at modules. It was all original "dungeons" , all the time.

It was practical too, because in the late 70's, early 80's you'd run out of modules super quick (like within a month of playing) if you didn't create your own content. Mother Necessity.

One of these day I need to write a small reply to EOTB about that recent podcast, because it struck me hard --- like almost a slap across the face --- how many of those "golden OSR principles" that are now just starting to be codified (e.g. faction play, dynamic restocking, seemingly infinite worlds, player-driven challenge, real politik, domain play, etc.) my high school DM was doing. I mean, seriously. It's uncanny. I think he may have been a genius. He was very into PolSci. Read the New Republic. Preferred Star Trek (original) to Star Wars (in 1977!). Played war games. Went to Mock United Nations camps, etc. But still --- he managed to get the Art of Good DMing pitch-perfect in a total vacuum. Uncanny.

EOTB

"golden OSR principles"
Fantasy Adventure Gaming! We deliberately reject the OSR as a label and want to differentiate from it, not associate with it. But yes, the podcast is all about playing the game as you've mentioned your high school DM was doing :cool:

squeen

Fantasy Adventure Gaming! We deliberately reject the OSR as a label and want to differentiate from it, not associate with it.
I think that's smart, i.e. distancing, but the label is generic enough to let all the story-gamey nonsense in (and has an unfortunate acronym). Why not just go back to fantasy war-gaming or something equally distinct? That should put some distance between classic D&D and the drama club.

EOTB

I think that's smart, i.e. distancing, but the label is generic enough to let all the story-gamey nonsense in (and has an unfortunate acronym). Why not just go back to fantasy war-gaming or something equally distinct? That should put some distance between classic D&D and the drama club.
Fantasy wargaming might accurately describe chainmail, but is too narrow for AD&D in which wargaming is only a part of the experience (and more often at higher levels).

RE: the "unfortunate acronym", I'm not going to stop using perfectly good and accurate names because some chud wants to go there

The1True

I'm not going to stop using perfectly good and accurate names because some chud wants to go there
Fight the power man, and I for one celebrate your choices and your fellow Adventure Gamers' right to marry! :p

seriously though. I think you will find dying on this hill to be not worth it in the end...

squeen

@EOTB: Sure. It is accurate, but is very broad, so doesn't discriminate from LARP etc.

Still, OSR was somewhat more accurate (the Renaissance part, "old-school" is garbage 90's slang) and it was appropriated by those having nothing to to with classic play. Maybe you just can't win. Still names and language matters.

I will keep racking my brain for a better handle.

If only there was a term for D&D play that occurred before the ridiculous Hickmman perversion into "trad"/tragic style and emphasized (slow & fast burn) gaming content over artistic expression. The English language should accommodate such a mentally clear distinction. I imagine German would have a 50 letter uber-word that nails it.

Malrex

Just backed this kickstarter: all the best, Malrex, and I hope you climb over the top.
Thanks Palindromedary!!

Seems to be going pretty good so far. We always have a slow start and crawl to the finish line.

I will admit, email list does seem the way to go to get the word out. Noticed quite a bump to the pre-launch page after I did it. It actually suits me better too as I would rather be talking to people who have interest rather than spamming social media.

I'm not sure what to tell someone who is just starting out though as I imagine its hard to start a decent sized email list.

The1True

I'm not sure what to tell someone who is just starting out though as I imagine its hard to start a decent sized email list.
Yeah, if you're starting out, it's probably a matter of spamming your favourite reviewers. There's no bad publicity, right? (Except maybe "The Worst/Do Not Buy")
I guess if you're feeling flush, you could pay to get DTRPG to spotlight your work? I don't know; am I just making that last one up?