Itch.io vs DTRPG

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Itch.io vs DTRPG
Can anyone explain the pros and cons?

Also the vanity publishers like Lulu and Exalted Funeral (is that a vanity publisher?). Anyone have any experience with them? What are the benefits there?

Maynard

*eyeroll*
In my experience itch.io is better than dtrpg in almost every aspect but they don't offer print on demand. I think dtrpg probably has a higher top end if you have a good product and a big marketing budget.

Never worked with lulu or exalted funeral but I think EF is the easiest path to indie success. They merket your product pretty heavily and it's where game stores are going to do bulk orders from, so you get on shelves

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I set up itchi.io because someone pestered me to do it. Spent 3 hours figuring it out, putting up my stuff....to this day, I have received three sales. Update: just checked after like 3 years and forgetting my password...I've made 5 sales.

DrivethruRPG has worked pretty good for me. Ive heard their PODs aren't as good as some other options but they have been supportive and pretty good with helping me out of jams (i.e. they helped big time with Peril in Olden Wood). Anything you put up there has a life of 1-3 months....which can be relived a little bit with Deal of the Day.

Lulu isn't bad. Ive heard people like their PODs better from there. I don't get many sales from there but they trickle in once in awhile (more than itch.io). Its pretty easy to use, but not really a good push for advertising on their platform (it's been awhile, maybe I should relook at it).

Never tried Amazon...thought about it. Setting up titles is a pain though and I'd rather create.

I'll respectfully pass on saying anything about Exalted Funeral.......

I also like the Kickstarter route because it usually helps to 'break even' when using original art, but its short lived (very stressful short life Ill add).

My best experience is DrivethruRPG but would also recommend doing it at a second place as some people have blacklisted Drivethru.

The1True

My best experience is DrivethruRPG but would also recommend doing it at a second place as some people have blacklisted Drivethru.
Can you expand on that? What do you mean by a second place? Why/how would people blacklist Drivethru?

Malrex

Can you expand on that? What do you mean by a second place? Why/how would people blacklist Drivethru?
A second place as in Itch.io or Lulu...or all of them.
Some people blacklist RPG Drivethru due to...you guessed it, politics. Some people have had their adventures taken down if they are too edgy or whatever, so some have banned DrivethruRPG.

The1True

A second place as in Itch.io or Lulu...or all of them.
Some people blacklist RPG Drivethru due to...you guessed it, politics. Some people have had their adventures taken down if they are too edgy or whatever, so some have banned DrivethruRPG.
But Drivethru takes a bigger cut if you choose to keep your publishing options open, correct?

Malrex

I believe they take a 30% cut.....35% if you keep publishing options open.
I forget what itchi.io's cut is but if I remember its way better.
Lulu I think is 20% cut??
Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Hemlock

Should be playing D&D instead
As a consumer I am barely aware that Itch.io exists but I go to DTRPG every once in a while, usually for out-of-print AD&D rulebooks or Ten Foot Pole-endorsed adventures.

So DTRPG has more visibility to me, and I'm more likely to buy stuff there because that's where my other stuff is.

Hemlock

Should be playing D&D instead
I just learned that itch.io also does computer games, and is apparently "the main place gamers go" for free games. Maybe that explains why there's pressure to use it for TTRPGs too.