2e - why you think it sucks, and why you're right

Grützi

Should be playing D&D instead
That's from Noble Knight isn't it?
Don't they have totally overpriced prices for all their stuff? They do "specialize" in rare and out or print stuff?

Crazy prices aren't that strange incertain circles. But The Heretic is right, people gotta be ready to pay it or its just dumb.
Observe:

Nobilis 2 Edition
Continuum

If these prices were halfway realistic I would sell my copies of these two books real quick ... but nobody pays that kind of money ;)

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Speaking of which, just ordered my copy of Veins of the Earth for 58,- no postage fee. Sorry Raggi.
Let me know what you think of it. I saw a picture posted of it on Stewart's "vanity shelf" and was surprised at how thick it was.
Big clunkers like that I'd prefer to have in print (if at all).

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
That's from Noble Knight isn't it?
Don't they have totally overpriced prices for all their stuff? They do "specialize" in rare and out or print stuff?

Crazy prices aren't that strange incertain circles. But The Heretic is right, people gotta be ready to pay it or its just dumb.
Observe:

Nobilis 2 Edition
Continuum

If these prices were halfway realistic I would sell my copies of these two books real quick ... but nobody pays that kind of money ;)
It's possible the seller is artificially forcing the price of other copies up by publicly advertising at that price? Definitely something scaly going on there.
I know what you're saying though about weird prices, especially here in Europe, but also in Canada Amazon seems to slap these ludicrous prices on things. I thought is was just books, but the other day I saw an 80 EU refill bottle of Palmolive hand soap. I'd love to understand what the hell is happening.
Meanwhile, I'm going to put my tinfoil tricorn back on and continue to maintain that the MotBM print runs are a vast and nefarious conspiracy.

squeen

MotBM wasn't that great. Honestly, I don't think I've got the artistic chops to actually run it.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
MotBM wasn't that great. Honestly, I don't think I've got the artistic chops to actually run it.
I read two pages and had to put it down. Wasn't really my thing. I've done that with a few 'highly praised' adventures...maybe I need to try again, I don't know.

squeen

And I kind of disliked the map---too muddy for my tastes (like the art).
Nice maps are a big thing for me.

Last edited:

The1True

It's an interesting proof of concept type thing. The massive cross-linking and colour-coding are good ideas. But yeah, I was not engaged by the story so I put it down. It's artsy-fartsy but there's some ground-breaking functionality in there begging to be stolen...

TerribleSorcery

I am deeply conflicted on MotBM, and have spent a LOT of time thinking about it. There is probably a big ass blog post inside me that I'll never publish (too much of a heat score).

I bought it as soon as it came out and loved reading it. Wowee!! Not a single orc or goblin! No rats and copper pieces! Joy!!! What's not to love?

Running it for my players, though, was a bit of a boondoggle. While I don't ask for a pre-written story or anything like that in a module, I think MotBM is an interesting example of the opposite - the characters and locations have only the most tenuous connections to one another. The thing doesn't really "hang together," as the Dude would say. My players were wandering the maze, experiencing these disconnected vignettes that they couldn't put into a coherent shape or structure. The chorus was uniformly "this doesn't make sense!"

I am not the best DM on earth, but I never got that response running my own stuff.

There was a pretty savage critique of it on this short-lived blog (I don't know if the guy had a grudge against Zak or what, but his posts are all about MotBM or other Z drama). I don't agree with everything the author says by any means! But he does make a few very good points:

I got the idea in my head to "redeem" this module over the winter. I kept only the parts I like (gardens, wedding & gallery), reskinned some of the monsters & NPCs, created a new backstory and transplanted the whole thing into a wizard's lost mansion. It all makes sense, and I am in the process of filling in my own original rooms around the existing by-the-book ones.

I don't want to release it on my blog or even talk about it because people get real frantic when Z's name comes up, but I'll let you guys know how it goes down with my group.

DangerousPuhson

I don't want to release it on my blog or even talk about it because people get real frantic when Z's name comes up
People are pretty forgiving if you just give a straight up review of a big expensive product, and replace the credits with "by Patrick Stuart and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named..."

I guarantee that no torch-wielding mob will knock down your front door over it.

Beoric

I only ever read the 12 page teaser. Didn't like it enough to buy the rest. In fact, I'm sufficiently unimpressed with it that I don't even have any desire to figure out why I am so unimpressed with it.

TerribleSorcery

Does the undertaking I described sound like a 'straight up review' to you?
At the very least it will polarize people. I want to keep BOTH of my blog's readers. There isn't any appreciable upside to putting in the effort of releasing it, just for some number of folks to think "well that guy's a lost cause, I'll put him in the box with [unpersons]"

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Does the undertaking I described sound like a 'straight up review' to you?
At the very least it will polarize people. I want to keep BOTH of my blog's readers. There isn't any appreciable upside to putting in the effort of releasing it, just for some number of folks to think "well that guy's a lost cause, I'll put him in the box with [unpersons]"
Oh yeah that reminds me I gotta do MotBM at some point. If people stop reading you because of the mere mention of Zdawg Shabboath you are better off without them. You don't have to excuse the man to want to talk about something with high notoriety in the hobby, regardless of who made it.

People are pretty forgiving if you just give a straight up review of a big expensive product, and replace the credits with "by Patrick Stuart and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named..."
I like that idea. Just call him Voldemort if you get nervous.

The1True

They say if you speak his name three times in a darkened chatroom he will be summoned ...

The1True

Prince of Nothing! Prince of Nothing! Prince of Nothing!

Look, there he is! It worked!
Was talking about Zdawg; the one who shall not be named. You can summon Prince all you like (just remember to inscribe the correct circle of protection in salt and birch bark...)