5e - why you think it sucks, and why you're wrong

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Young people can partly see through the aliens' disguises, whereas older people can't, and the young apprentices etc. who have had the bleak truth revealed are going to it for comfort.
More like they join them for security. Many people will align themselves with the scary dudes as long as they can convince themselves they are safer that way. That's why its important that they can only partly see through the disguises; if they could see more clearly, the alienness would prevent them from believing that joining the cult could mitigate the danger. So the "cult" ranges from those who convince themselves of Their divinity to justify their actions, to those who are trying to fly under the radar and want to see the danger coming. In the middle are camp follower types and people who are willing to run dubious errands to get into positions of power. It would be good to have one or two NPCs from each group.

There are people with clearer vision but they reject Them or try to speak out, and they are turning up dead.

It would be important to define "young people", lots of people play quite young characters and may have the vision. Hmm, its been a long time since I have seen character age have any bearing on a campaign.

Gandalf, depending on how much you want to develop this you might want to start a thread on the Project Workshop forum.

squeen

I like the hook of young, disturbed children running away from home and telling the party: "That's not my mother and father!"
Also, there needs to be a way to penetrate the disguise that the party can discover/recover.

Beoric is correct. The cult needs to have some sort of public image. Something that appeals...maybe even to the party. But what?

Join our cult and we equip you with magic items at 1st level to help fight evil?

EDIT: They are not scary --- they a TOO good. First contact is via a "super awesome" rival NPC party?

squeen

Oooh...here's a hook: Join our cult FREE level training and equipment!

You wouldn't even have to push it in the party's face. Just let them know it's avaialible, drop a few tantalizing hints, show off a few successful rival NPC parties.

If they "bite", let them enter the cult slowly --- run a few errands, etc. A small fetch quest or two that feel just a little bit "off".
There's only a few body snatchers right now. They can't replace everyone. So they are picky about who gets replaced until more snatchers arrive ("soon"...). Until then, there use wealth and pawns to set the stage --- replacing only key figures.

Of course they eat people.

Last edited:

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
More fantastic ideas, this approach really works. In keeping with suggestions from Squeen and Beoric, I've started a separate thread in Project Workshop to document further dialogue on this topic.

Thanks
Gandalf

Beoric

I wonder how accurate a barometer it is of the various editions that this thread has 14,000 views, and none of the other threads discussing edition mechanics have made it to 600?

I should start a 4e thread, just to see if I can break into double digits.

TerribleSorcery

Should be playing D&D instead
Ohhhhh fuck me. I turned off my computer for a month and now there are TEN MORE PAGES OF THIS SHIT?????

SWEET SATAN, LAUNCH THE MISSILES NOW

L

logruspattern

This is my first post to this forum and it will be after I spent about 6 to 8 hours reading through this thread and several others, including the state of the post-OSR and Book Talk.

Thank you for the concern. I'll be ok.

These are my impressions of 5e. I'm not striving for the laser-guided accuracy of argument and word choice like some of the opinions in the thread up to this point.

I got into 1e because my dad had the books lying around in a cupboard. Finding them and reading them as a kid was an amazing feeling that's hard to recapture as an adult. I think you can appreciate what I mean with that.

Trying to play D&D with just the 1e books was a nightmare. My friends and I tried once and gave up. Then came 3e and I wondered why the 1e books were such terrible rule books by comparison. It wasn't until this past year after stumbling upon the OSR that I realized why: they're modular rules and guides to be understood within the framework of OD&D and/or B/X.

Since then I've run an abortive 3e campaign, played in another, and run a 5e campaign. All were linear story driven campaigns that were more or less unsatisfying. Then I found the OSR online. I spent enough time reading about old school D&D to find the open world and exploration concepts that I had been missing. I loved the idea. I dropped the linear 5e campaign I was running and immediately began working on an open world campaign.

Up until that point I had been content with 5e and found it to be a good version. Carrying on to the present day I am increasingly souring on it. I'll list my reasons below. Some of these critiques come up repeatedly in 5e forums and I'm surprised they haven't shown up in this thread.

First though: I disagree that 1e, or any previous edition of D&D, should be dismissed as obsolete or lacking merits. Likewise I don't think the newer versions (3e on) are without merit either. I greatly enjoy that older editions were rough around the edges even if I don't always like the mechanics. I view the development of the game as an iterative process and it's fun for me to see how that happened. I'm not interested in which edition is better or worse. They all have something to offer me as I search for my platonic ideal of D&D.

My 5e critiques:

- Perhaps my biggest critique of the system itself: robuster mechanics that were present in older editions have been stripped out and not replaced. This includes dungeon and wilderness exploration, domain level play, and hirelings and henchmen. Preparing for my new 5e sandbox meant welding those back onto the game. And much of that meant just taking rules directly from older versions.

- My impression of the magic system is that there are even more ways that magic trivializes the already negligible exploration components in the game. While high-level magic has presented problems for the referee in other editions as well, it seems to have become worse in 5e.

- Passive checks (10 + modifiers, usually ability and proficiency) seem like a good idea until I tried running them at the 'table' (we play online). I have to compare a DC to a PC's always-on Perception skill to spot a hidden monster? Fine - if my players give me a list of their scores before the session as I requested. Less so if they don't. And for less commonly used skills this becomes even more of a hassle. The mechanic leaves me dissatisfied.

- Power creep in many longstanding D&D abilities. Darkvision perhaps the biggest example of this. It used to be some folk had just low light vision.

- Grappling may be easy to run but it doesn't seem like it provides satisfying options. A grappled character has 0 movement and can be moved by the grappler. This seems plausible for a large creature to do with a smaller one, but not vice versa. As written it lacks the option for many enemies to swarm a PC and kill him outright as was mentioned in this thread about previous editions.

- I do miss some of the other combat options that were available in previous editions too. Fighting defensively (3e, I think?) I saw even LotFP included that. One can Dodge in 5e but you lose the chance to attack completely, instead of attacking but with a lower chance to hit.

- XP only for defeating monsters: I used to be against XP for treasure, now I'm for it and against XP for monsters as the sole source of XP. In fact, I prefer to reward XP for monsters, treasure, exploration and reaching goals or good gaming etc.

- I don't like the level cap at 20 as the rules are written. I prefer OD&D's and 1e's lack of a level cap with diminishing returns.

- The encumbrance system de facto ignores encumbrance. Even when it is used, it solves none of the problems of previous editions because it still requires the odious tracking of weight in pounds.

- The selection of weapons have been pared down from 3e. This is good. It should have been made even smaller. Too many weapons are functionally equivalent; the battleaxe and longsword differ only in weight and price. Alternately some weapons are clearly better than others such that there is no justification for the existence of the worse weapon other than perhaps for flavor (or class restrictions, which are just flavor disguised as a mechanic). An example: between the mace and the quarterstaff, the quarterstaff is better in every respect. It costs less, is lighter, and can be used as a Versatile weapon for more damage.

- Much equipment has been dragged through into 5e from as far back as 1e, yet no thought was given to making that equipment significant in terms of the game. For some things such as chalk or signal whistles, players will come up with a use on their own. Other things on the equipment list are pointless and aren't even given a text entry to explain how they might not be pointless. It frustrates me that they seem to be there just to pad out the equipment list. This includes things like the abacus, mess kit, blanket, bed roll, and clothing. There is no game mechanic associated with these items. What frustrates me is that the designers were willing to basically hand wave encumbrance away -with which I disagree- but were not willing to hand wave an abacus and mess kits, which bring nothing to the game.

- 5e is no stranger to poor book design. The index in the PHB and DMG are nigh unhelpful.

There are aspects of and mechanics in 5e that I like: advantage / disadvantage being one. Within its own framework of a game built around X number of combat encounters per day, the classes seem to be well balanced with each other and they each have a role in that regard. I like that the game has been streamlined. Yet I feel that this statement needs the following qualifier: it has been streamlined in comparison to 3e.

In hindsight though I often feel like I paid $160 for source books solely so that I may share in the wonder that is the advantage / disadvantage mechanic. I'll explain why in a later post.

squeen

Yes, welcome and well said. Don't be shy---we need some new blood to shake thinks up.

The Heretic

Should be playing D&D instead
This is my first post to this forum and it will be after I spent about 6 to 8 hours reading through this thread and several others, including the state of the post-OSR and Book Talk.
Squeen, is this a relative of yours? Maybe one of your kids? Dammit, we warned you about leaving your rulebooks out!

(but also, welcome logruspattern. That's an impressive response.)

L

logruspattern

“I apologize for such a long letter. I didn't have time to write a short one.” - Various

Note: I bulleted and summarized at the end of the second post for those who don’t want to read the whole two posts.

My other problem with 5e is that I don’t think WotC has been a good steward of the intellectual property of D&D. Emmy Allen has been the only person I’ve read to outright say something like this. Jason Alexander doesn’t say it but gives arguments that support it in his posts on how the rules for dungeon crawling and hex crawling have been stripped from WotC versions of D&D.

I started playing Magic a few years after it came out. I loved the aesthetic in the beginning as much as I loved the game. I liked that the basics of an open world were hinted at through scraps of lore in the flavor text and card names and art. It was just enough to let your own imagination work to fill in the rest. I liked that the flavor text quoted Shakespeare, riffed off of Robert Frost, and took its influence from real-world myths. The WotC writers were atmospheric and clever. Then the art changed for the worse in my opinion. WotC divorced the aesthetic from our world and pushed their storyline too hard through the flavor text. It was like publishing a terrible fantasy novel through physical tweets that you needed to buy individually. Without the atmosphere of the game, the mechanics weren’t enough to keep me playing and certainly not enough to keep me buying. I resented that WotC wasn’t content to limit its product to a finite number of cards and instead flogged the collectible card game concept for all its monetary worth. It became a crass money grab and still is. I felt that, though it may not have begun as such, the relationship between the cool little Seattle game company and its customers had become that of mass industry and mass consumption. I haven’t seen any new mechanic that has been interesting enough to justify to me as a consumer buying new cards to play with. I stopped buying and playing the game 20 years ago. If I ever wanted to play for the sake of fun, it would be with DIY cards and with friends. After all, the rules are out in the wild already. Nothing prevents someone from taking them, changing them, and changing the cards for his or her own table.

The same ideas are behind my resentment towards WotC and its curatorship of D&D. Good things have come from the game design in the WotC era. I like aspects of every version of D&D. But in my opinion I have learned far more interesting mechanics and learned more about how I want to play D&D through my few months of reading about the DIY D&D scene than I have through 20+ years of WotC corporate curatorship. As a hobby, it can help that D&D has a corporate interest with an incentive (albeit to make money) and the money needed to grow the number of players willing to play. What I resent are the deference to the corporate version of D&D and WotC’s eagerness to cash in while contributing comparatively little towards innovation in mechanics, adventure design and aesthetic. Squeen’s previous comparison of the OGL to Open Source Software is relevant to me here.

What I mean by little innovation is that, when I close read the 5e rules, I ask myself if purchasing the rulebooks was worth the price. I like advantage / disadvantage; I like that 5e is streamlined when compared to 3e; I like the combat mechanic of action / bonus action / reaction / free action. That’s about where my appreciation for the mechanics ends and becomes disappointment. Because I feel like the 1000 monkeys typing on typewriters in the DIY D&D scene would have come up with it anyway. And I would have either gotten it for free or for far less money. Too many problematic elements remain for me to avoid thinking that the WotC designers didn’t just get lazy. Or that they have a different play experience in mind. That is not bad, but then I don’t need corporate D&D. Because like Magic, the rules are already out in the wild.

Currently my ideal D&D is basically a sandbox dungeon crawl / hexcrawl board game with robust mechanics to support that. Where it differs from a typical board game is that the board (ie dungeon and campaign world) can be freely designed by the referee, as can traps, tricks, monsters, obstacles, etc. Furthermore the players’ actions are not restricted to those laid out in the rules, but the rules can be used as a guide to determine the results of player-determined actions. Or player actions can completely bypass the game mechanics through compelling play. By this I do mean the pouring of water to find cracks in the floor and probing with a 10’ pole because I think it adds to the game to be allowed to do so but not when forced to do so.

I agree that any version of D&D can support this style of game including 5e. My idea is that the board game aspects of D&D have been diminished, sometimes in early versions, in order to apply the label ‘role-playing game’ to D&D. I think early versions of D&D benefit from being a new kind of board game with the scope limited to medieval-style fantasy combat in dungeons and wilderness settings. I think later versions suffer from trying to be a system that can do everything by broadening their scope. D&D, in my opinion, needs to lean into the fact that it’s a game and be ok with it. The ‘role-playing’ part impedes the game design and would happen regardless as players interact with the fiction through their imaginations. This happens in any game naturally; if I’m playing a wargame I’m just as much trying to imagine the combat in my mind as I am in D&D.

This expectation stems from my disillusionment with other media like computer games. Too many games overpromise and underdeliver. They may present the player with interesting choices and a good aesthetic, but the programmers can’t make an AI that can competently interact with the mechanics. I have more fun with games that limit their scope and present a good play experience within those limits.

L

logruspattern

So for me where WotC falls short with 5e is where they have not innovated to improve aspects of the game that have been problematic in nearly every version of D&D. This includes:
  • Magic: arcane and divine magic are mechanically the same beyond the class mechanics. The difference remains uninteresting fluff. Material, somatic and verbal components continue to complicate spellcasting without bringing much to it. 5e’s mechanics can’t be praised for being always simple when counter-intuitive cases exist. For example, a cleric can cast a spell that has material and somatic components while holding a shield and weapon because the shield counts as a holy symbol, but needs to put the weapon away to cast a spell with only somatic components. Rather than simplifying this, the game designers double down and say that’s how it officially works.
  • The magic system at its core is just the same old thing from 50 years ago with many of its faults. Aside from limited mechanics like counterspelling, there is no interesting way to fight a magic duel.
  • Wilderness and dungeon travel continues to use real-world time and distance units rather than abstract game units. Combat suffers from the same problem. It would be simpler to say a character can move 6 spaces in combat. De facto it is already the case when using a grid. Even if you’re not using a grid, the difference between feet and spaces matters nothing when moving to the theater of the mind.
  • Some things about combat are an afterthought. Grids, for example. Mounted combat mechanics are poor. When using a grid, consider a goblin riding a worg. A worg is a large creature and takes up a square of 4 spaces on the map. A goblin riding it is a small creature and occupies one square on the map. On which square that the worg occupies is the goblin considered to be riding?
  • No mechanics for mass combat.
  • I already said it in a previous post, but 5e stripped out mechanics for exploration, henchmen, and domain play. I see this as a loss and not a gain.
  • Encumbrance is still an exercise in beancounting. In 5e it’s counted in pounds. In previous versions it is counted in coins. Make it meaningful and simple or don’t bother to just drag it forward from previous editions.
  • The rigid adherence to the 3 core books of the PHB, DMG and MM is just a money grab. The DMG is only useful for the conversions of the old magic items to 5e and for the explanation of the design choices in encounter design. Otherwise it says nothing worth reading about DMing that hasn’t been written about better elsewhere. Nor does it detail essential game mechanics that are not in the PHB. As Justin Alexander notes, gone too are the play examples, teaching how to key a map, teaching how to create a dungeon, etc.
Lastly how the concept of race is handled in the game has made me cringe for a while. How people handle race in the real world makes me cringe too. WotC finally confronting it now doesn’t make the company progressive. It makes it late to the game. I’m glad it’s being confronted. Yet I expect most of the solutions will be superficial performances. New words like ‘folk’ instead of ‘race’ aren’t going to help much in my opinion. They’ll either be ironically co-opted for racist shit or people will realize that they are also problematic. Ask a German speaker if the word ‘volk’ has problematic associations.

I realize this last objection is really opening a can of worms and people might have already quit reading. But in bringing it up, I want to address a specific idea that was proposed in this thread (or the post-OSR one, I forget). It is the idea that, in comparison to OSR and old school D&D, 5e D&D is a WotC-fostered, non-exclusionary, all-welcoming, egalitarian wonderland. I disagree. I think the view that 5e D&D still includes ideas that are racist, misogynist and colonialist has merit. And WotC, rather than meaningfully engaging with that view until now, was content to drag those ideas along from previous editions. Late TSR and WotC moved D&D’s aesthetic away from one shared with problematic Appendix N works. It repackaged the game in bland, generic, in-house created fantasy that retained many problems of the original game in regards to racism, colonialism, stereotypes, etc. Even if one disagrees that D&D is a game that has problems regarding racism etc., the fact that other people hold this view supports the idea that the game, including 5e D&D, is also exclusionary and elitist.

And while people in any group can be exclusionary, elitists or gatekeepers, I imagine there are specific people who come foremost to mind when considering those aspects of the OSR. It is worth remembering that some of the worst personalities in the OSR were invited by WotC to help design or playtest 5e D&D. Their names are on the edition notice in the PHB! WotC and 5e don’t hold any moral high ground. The only black WotC cares about is the black on the balance sheet. Only when that has been threatened does the company find a moral conscience.

Summary: The idea of a game like D&D is out of the bottle and it belongs to the world now. 5e leaves more problems unsolved in the game mechanics than solved. WotC is a mediocre and overly expensive content creator. WotC also abdicated the job of teaching new players how to play, especially when it comes to dungeon and wilderness crawls. Nor is it leading the way on creating an open and welcoming hobby. So what purpose does the company’s vision of D&D serve now? We don’t need WotC to play D&D and I doubt I’ll buy anything from them in the future.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?

Thank you for the concern. I'll be ok.
LOL...welcome.

Quarterstaff vs. Mace....Quarterstaff may be "better" but with a mace you can use a shield which helps with AC. So I think it still provides different options to have some of the equipment.

Am I the only one that keeps buying bedrolls (and never really using it)? lol. My DM is pretty particular...if it's not written down on your sheet, you don't have it....buying some of the stuff on there, that really serves no purpose game-wise, is still part of the character creation process for me. I view it as a 'tool' to help me visualize my character and equipment. And I also find myself 'trying' to use some of the equipment. Breeches, girdles, toga, sandles....helps me visualize my character, maybe serves as additional disguises for a thief or assassin. Fishing net, hook, barrel (small), whetstones, winter blanket...I don't know, at first I could see your point, but after reviewing the equipment lists, I actually think they serve a purpose--or makes me be creative to serve a purpose! "I cover the medusa's head with my winter's blanket" --DM 'yeah right, do you even have that written down?" Player "yep..right here...cost me 5sp and been toting around its 3 lbs. this whole way"..(yes, I actually tried this maneuver way back in the day).

Whetstone? not so much...but still adds to the 'vibe'. DM: 'ok you have set up camp, anyone doing anything special?' Player: 'no, not really, hanging out by the fire sharpening my weapons with my whetstone.' Player 2: 'I'm going to set up watch in a tree..." I know I've said that a few times...does it help game wise?--no, not really...but I do think it adds something because people can visualize a character doing that and so it helps the internal, creative 'movie' that everyone is imagining at the same time.

Since you brought it up, I'd like to hear your opinion of how 'the concept of race is handled in the game has made me cringe." I've seen other posts briefly about orcs and whatnot and the discussion quickly devolved that I didn't go any further. Perhaps here there could be a civil discussion about it. I have no idea how it's presented in 5e, but only 1e and 2e. This is not some sort of trap, I honestly want to know your opinion.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I think the view that 5e D&D still includes ideas that are racist, misogynist and colonialist has merit.
Can you cite examples of this? This is not a trap.
It sounds like you're saying WoC has gone too far and not far enough at the same time. Or are you saying they should either do one or the other?
I know I'm being naive here, but I've never had to sit through a D&D game as a black guy or a gay guy or a woman, so I genuinely can't know if it's cringey or not and I don't think it's my place to put myself in their shoes. Is the game exclusionary to certain people? I'd like to know how.

I'm genuinely wondering to what you refer when you mention
problematic Appendix N works
Is this stuff really so bad? Is it really locking people out of the hobby? Cuz I'm coming out here for that far out late 70's, early 80's OSR vibe and I'd hate to think that stuff has been making people feel terrible all along...

If this is going to touch off culture war shit with the fanatics, I'd rather this post be disregarded altogether btw.

Beoric

Am I the only one that keeps buying bedrolls (and never really using it)? lol. My DM is pretty particular...if it's not written down on your sheet, you don't have it....buying some of the stuff on there, that really serves no purpose game-wise, is still part of the character creation process for me.
In my game bedrolls do serve a purpose. The better fed and more comfortable you are when you rest, the faster you heal. Spend a night out in the rain, eating cold rations and sleeping in your armor without even a blanket to drape over you, and you might wake up in worse shape than when you went to sleep.