SQART

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Revisiting an older ink-job (March 2022) and tweaking it (but still not finishing it).

Here's the previous one which was cleaner (less sketchy) but originally bugged me. It was one of my first attempts at inking. I've clearly gotten more aggressive in hatching. Better/worse? Might depend on your tastes.

Maybe next year I'll finish it. :p

Last edited:

squeen

WIP for another attempt at Hawk's Searching Eyes --- including their electrical attack. Ultimately it's to be done in ink---even though the lighting seems to beg for paint.

I keeping getting 1970's Dr. Who horror from these guys. Just me?

Last edited:

squeen

Colored pencil figure practice --- dull pencil, no sharpener. I like the soft blue.

Last edited:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Wow Squeen...you are really kicking ass with all this!! I love those inked trolls up there and some of these battle scenes are great!

squeen

Wow Squeen...you are really kicking ass with all this!! I love those inked trolls up there and some of these battle scenes are great!
Thank you very much. I agree with you that ink is truly the "finished product" for D&D art. Drawing is becoming a true joy whenever I can fit it in to my schedule (no longer daily!). I've gotten past caring that it never looks the way I imagined it and just go with the flow, so that each one is a surprise. That's probably also why I'm so inconsistent in appearance/style. It feels like every drawing I have to relearn (or at least struggle to recall) the basics, but that process of recall is now what I associate with "drawing". It's like you are remembering how the pieces of the world go together.

When you use a reference, it's completely different. Then I'm learning how something goes together that I never really looked close enough before to understand. That's revealing too, but less fun because it's harder work. As an engineer, I've spend a lot of time thinking about structures, so that's just a rote (CAD-like) labor-of-construction --- but living forms are endlessly fascinating to twist and turn in my head. The flowing lines of Life are also the most beautiful to me.

There's a bottomless well of things one can improve on (you can't store the whole world in your head!)---that's probably good for a hobby, but might make you insane professionally.

Last edited:

squeen

Somthin' like this...except in ink??

Yet another troll. I guess I'm a fan. In my campaign, the locals always played up the fear factor surrounding them. So when my players were lower levels, they were especially terrified of them. It was all about the rumors and having knowledgeable NPCs set the table, so to speak.

Last edited:

squeen

Too busy for drawing, but ended up inking a Post-It note scribble. (These days, I'm the flying head.)

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

Last edited:

squeen

He had a giant pike (pseudonym?) in Black Maw. I think it was symbolic at some level.

Last edited:

squeen

The Phase Minotaur from my Ethereal Plane adventure which annually misses the NAP deadline as some sort of demented holiday tradition.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Nice one. My only critique would be that the Flail says action and motion, but the minotaur's body does not...

squeen

You speak the truth. After it was done, I realized it as well. I know I should thumbnail before diving in, but...

Thanks.

squeen

Ether Ghul

Another drawing for my Ethereal Plane adventure. It got way too detailed for a monster manual-like side pic, so I may have to do another one. (Oy!)

Clearly an H.R. Giger inspired xenomorph/Alien, but the whole conceit of the adventure is that the Ethereal Plane can open up your campaign to the insertion of some disparate Lovecraftian SciFi Horror or Burrough's Space Fantasy adventuring without demolishing your relatively mundane quasi-medieval setting.