Illusions

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Played twice (!) this weekend...was Father's Day after all. :)

The players managed to leave the Aether Islands with a bunch of loot, and also freed the trapped prisoners (old Wizard's Guild magicians) in the Maze/Tesseract. They even handled the Abomination in the Pit deftly after finding some clues in old books on how the Witch Queen's priests used to wear golden robes and staffs to corral the beast towards its intended victim.

Here's some more Player Feedback I got directly:
  • The threat of wandering monsters in the Ethereal Plane (Aether Islands) was too much (too often). They thought that after the top-predator, i.e. the Phase Minotaur, was vanquished, then it would take months to a years for anything else to start showing up. They didn't know this directly, but inferred I was checking much more often: I had local wandering monsters at 1 in 6 per turn, and "Visitors from the Void" arriving at the island at 1 in 20 per turn. ***NEVER ACTUALLY FOUGHT A SINGLE RANDOM MONSTER***
    • SUMMARY: They felt pressured by the wandering monster checked and hurried to leave. I loved the heightened tension---they didn't.
  • Our thief complained that my more diligent tracking of lightning (oil usage/turn for lanterns, when infravision is spoiled and the limits of it's discerning power, etc.) is "not fun" (hi DP!) and we should hand-waive it more (like we used to). What I noticed was once I started caring about lighting (and who was holding the lantern) then suddenly pints of oil became precious commodities. Also, a small, seemly minor magic item they recovered from the waters beneath the Earth Temple---a tiny glowing brine-shrimp in a amber-egg---has now become one of their most used and mentioned items. It gets "passed around". Silly really, the cleric can cast continual light (but I have a house rule that the spell casters can maintain two "permanent" spells like continual light/invisibility per level simultaneously).
    • SUMMARY: light has become a resource. Minor magic is now valuable. I like that---they claim they don't.
Here's some general Design/Format observations that hit me:
  • FULL BRYCIAN FORMAT: The areas I wrote up in The Format (see below) were MUCH easier to run. I found myself wishing I had time to clean up everything. It really makes DMing so much easier. No joke. Is you look at this weekend's post Obsidian Keep, you see another example of that format.
    • Just what your senses detect first, separated from greater detail below
    • blue-text (or underlined) cross-referencing for closer examination
    • terse but with evocative details
    • LORE segregated from the essential-at-the-table (functional) text
  • INSET MAPS: These local zoom-in's are SO helpful for larger maps. They immediately let you know where you are in the text, and organize the content in such a helpful way. When I didn't have it, I was flipping around like an idiot...and I wrote this stuff! On the pages with an inset map, I was golden. I knew immediately where to find the keyed text. I can't emphasize enough how helpful they are.
  • SMALL ICONS: Totally working for me. Aren't ugly or distracting. Don't get in the way of the text. Super-valuable for lighting. I'm sold.
Lastly, some Content observations:
  • Interesting Treasure: I already mentioned the glowing-shrimp and how it pleased me that something that doesn't lob fireballs is valued. Adiitionally, I also put a stack of gold bars with the stamp from the Treasury in the the corrupted Prince's abode instead of the usual/boring "chest of gold pieces". This had a few effects:
    • they wondered (a lot) why it was there --- and tied it to references in the banned tomes about the priests' golden robes. End up melting it down and making their own protective tools.
    • made them worry about selling it
    • continued to paint a picture of a rotten Prince turned to evil (family theft)---minor, but I liked what they were inferring without being explicitly told. Bryce talks about this sometimes. Show, Don't Tell. This went to the next level when they found his hidden laboratory where he was cutting up cadavers and had turned street orphans into ghouls through forced cannibalization. The player's openly commented on how he's "worse than they thought". Remember these is just clues scattered about the world about Lareth (from T1 and long dead), his outstanding gifts, overwhelming Pride, and fall into depravity. The hated him as a arch enemy, killed him eventually, are masquerading as him currently, following the clues left behind from his inquisitive mind during his youth, and now finally seeing the places unchecked arrogance took him. I think they've gone through a full emotional spectrum with regards to how they feel about this one particular character in the world. HATE-FAMILIARITY-RESPECT-AFFINITY-HORROR. He's been a weird thread tying so much together over the years. It seems like there has got to be SOMETHING universal in Adventure Design to be learned from this. I mean, I never read them some long wall-of-text about the dude. Never! ...And yet, just by thinking through the logic consequences of what it might mean to be "the dark hope of Chaos", i.e. a brilliant and charismatic organizer, and thinking through the elements of his life, they have felt his hand (and other Larger Than Life historical figures) many places. Show. Don't Tell. indeed.
    • they've are totally struggling with encumbrance---how to cart large items to some place safe. They are dreaming about owning their own tower/demesne.
  • Environmental Clues: EOTB was saying that, unlike the VTT (above), that in theater-of-the-mind style play, that any mentioned detail tends to get picked up as important by the players. Well, mine don't. I don't think that's because they are bad players, instead---when I take the time to really flesh out (write up) an area, and am trying to be evocative (in a show-don't-tell manner)---the little window-dressing details get included to sell the story. I routinely (and my players have started calling it "do your little spiel") try to verbally paint a pitcure of the room and include some of those little scene-setting details. That ends up jumbling up what's important with window-dressing. What I liked from last session was that they entered a hidden room with skeletons hanging on the wall...and completely ignored them until they jumped down to attack (gaining surprise)! Why on Earth didn't they assume that skeletons would attack? Because, there are lots of skeletons, bones, etc. in an old dungeon. They got lured into a false sense of normalcy, and immediately started rifling through the OTHER cool stuff in the room. (Of course, they were kicking themselves, later.) Also related to Environmental Clues is how I am amazed at how often the players pieced together the unspoken back-story---even to the extend of saying out loud what I thought the NPCs were once thinking. Stuff like, "this room is so inaccessible, I'm sure he didn't feel the need to hide stuff in here." My (unspoken) thoughts exactly!
  • Open Ended Challenges: They surprised me again and again. Making their own gold-plated weapons. Using Hold Portal in a clever way to over-come an obstacle I had intentionally designed into the scenario to slow them down and limit their success. The list goes on...and I just smile and am secretly both pleased and disappointed they totally bi-passed my mental scenario. DP thinks it's a cop-out to "not draft a proper solution", but heck, there is something to the notion that all you have to do is build the Safe and your players will find a way to crack it open.
  • Allies: The players used the Exorcism spell to free the fallen Minotaur from his Curse and gained an ally/local-guide. The have gotten good at leveraging the in-world knowledge of NPCs to avoid tons of pitfalls. Having a local guide is invaluable. There's something fundamental in Grand Design lurking in that notion...I think. Bryce vocally hates "The Tell-All Journal" --- well...how about the Rescued Guide as an information source?
  • EOTB-style Illusions: (the long-lost topic of this thread) They totally work. Just treat illusions as 100% real in terms of cause-and-effect unless the PCs take a leap-of-faith action to DEMONSTRATE disbelief (and then, and only then, do they get their saving throw). He's right, half the time, they never knew they were dealing with illusions. You, as DM, must resist the urge to drop obvious hints. There is so much magic players assume the impossible is possible...and react.
  • Higher Level Play: It's tough. They players have so many resources at their finger tips. But, again taking EOTB's advice, I just "Let them win". They are starting to really tear it up. He's an example: teleported out of the dungeon as soon as they accomplished their objective (freed the prisoners). Bam! Done. Also, as Huso says: there is no way to challenge them with One Big Baddie---it's got to be waves of attrition.
All these little pieces as you slowly learn about the game. An amazing experience and journey to DM.

EDIT: Last comment: PLAY TEST! You learn so much about what's missing when you play test. Wish I could run the campaign a dozen times just to iron out the garbage and find the holes.

Last edited:

squeen

OK, here's the REAL question...now that the campaign has left the area, will I ever finish cleaning up the maps and text???

Here's how far I got on the Aether Island map...maybe 50% done?...the big eureka moments were:
  • DARK MAP? --> USE WHITE KEY LABELS!
  • thinner line-weights
  • GIMP's smudge-tool is your friend
  • 3-dimensional topology, you fool! (Duh! You're not underground anymore!)

aether_Isles-small.jpg

On the hopeful side, the players say they want to return there someday. I've got a bunch of crazy ideas about the interior and underside of the Big Islet. (Also need to map a small Cloister Tower that's above area 16). I'm going full-on Aliens with a variant of the Xenomorph from the film I'm calling Etheraptus. It has a two-form life cycle: an adult Ghul and a larvae/down-your-throat-egg-layer/trilobite (face-hugger). I was going to have them slowly take over the place like vicious vermin...now that the Minotaur is gone.

Honestly, I can't figure out why it (Aliens-inspired monsters in D&D) hasn't already been done-to-death!

Somewhere down there is the small Life-Boat from the dead Aethernauts (i.e. the bug's with the damaged Mandalorian Armor). It's embedded in the ever-expanding/ablating rock of the Big Islet, but could provide a players a means to recharge power-packs (...and travel ELSEWHERE!...Can you say, "homing beacon", anyone?)

They have also taken on the self-appointed task to free the wizard-in-eternal-bondage (in the Tower) by find the soul-amulet of a Demon Lord and compelling him to release his curse. Now which Demon Lord to use??? LOOKING FOR A SUGGESTION! Existing MM, e.g. Demogorgon? Or something new?

Crazy high-level play, eh? This Demon-Lord Quest to the Abyss sounds a bit like The End of Huso's campaign. Maybe I can use some of his stuff---if he changes his mind about publishing it. There's also the one (Isclavaada?), at the bottom of Matt Finch's Cyclopean Deeps (always wanted to run that). There's also Orcus at the deepest level of Rappun Athuk---a notorious death-trap---but that doesn't have much of an other-dimensional feel to it.

EDIT: Three years later...here's the interior level.

Last edited:

squeen

Sorry...I continue...

One more idea for public debate: I came up with this notion that Ethereal Mithril (super-hard, light but super-strong, immune to aetherwind erosion) becomes ordinary Prime Material Plane silver when transported cross-dimensionally.

It's a bit of a sucker punch...

Too nasty?

Last edited:

squeen

LAST ONE!

The Demon Lord Quest is going to take them alllllllll the way back to an Island they passed over 6 years-ago on their way to the Capital for clues on how to find the Lost Dwarven City. Unknown to them at the time, the body/soul of the Witch Queen was imprisoned there in an Underground Cyst 60+ years ago, and has slowly been breaking her bonds. She got an astral projection loose on the island, but hasn't managed to escape to the mainland...yet.

I wrote the initial upper-level of Her Majesty's river-island prison in 2013...and they walked right past it. (Oh well.)

I think it's kind of nice that when they ask a question, like "Where do we find Melice's body?", and you have this detailed, off-handed reply ready for an NPC is to give. That's the added depth afforded by all these weird, over-looked, side-jaunts. (Like the skeletons on the wall mention previously---unnoticed details!)

The plan is to go there now...just to ask her the Demon's name! Seriously...to ask a question. What would Bryce think of THAT as an adventure hook for a purchased Adventure? I mean WTF, right? Who DOES that? To me, it's the difference between Greater D&D (campaign play) and Lesser D&D (let's run a module tonight). Two completely different animals.

They were 3rd-level then, and it would have probably been TPK in 2013
(...but I probably would have cut them quite a lot of slack...)

But now, they are nearly name-level...no quarter, matey!

@The Heretic : How's about these for some vintage long-winded posts? Eh? Have I still got it? Are you sick of my virtual voice yet? Did your eyes glaze over? Did you skip over most of it? (DP does! Bryce too!)

All done.

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
Our thief complained that my more diligent tracking of lightning (oil usage/turn for lanterns, when infravision is spoiled and the limits of it's discerning power, etc.) is "not fun" (hi DP!) and we should hand-waive it more (like we used to).
EOTB was saying that, unlike the VTT (above), that in theater-of-the-mind style play, that any mentioned detail tends to get picked up as important by the players. Well, mine don't.
SUMMARY: They felt pressured by the wandering monster checked and hurried to leave. I loved the heightened tension---they didn't.
Today the lesson sinks in - that all tables are not created equal, that all players are different, and that all games should not be run the same way. Shame you had to experience it firsthand, but maybe now you'll understand my disdain of blanket statements on these forums about how the game should or shouldn't be played, as if there was some "universal formula" to good D&D.

DARK MAP? --> USE WHITE KEY LABELS!
White text with a black stroke outline, always. Legible on any background.

Did you skip over most of it? (DP does! Byrce ignores me!)
Only skipping it sometimes, squeen-o... when I'm tired, or grumpy, or just fuzzy-headed and don't feel like reading a ton. OK, maybe a little more than "some"times.

DangerousPuhson

One more idea for public debate: I came up with this notion that Ethereal Mithril (super-hard, light but super-strong, immune to aetherwind erosion) becomes ordinary Prime Material Plane silver when transported cross-dimensionally.
I dig the idea of magical items that have specific properties on specific planes of existence, and so long as it's properly telegraphed, it's not especially cheaty.

squeen

White text with a black stroke outline, always. Legible on any background.
Haven't found an easy way to do this in GIMP yet.

I sometimes use drop-shadows on the white text to similar effect, but that's an extra-step/layer, so I'd love an outline-stroked font instead.

Today the lesson sinks in - that all tables are not created equal, that all players are different, and that all games should not be run the same way. Shame you had to experience it firsthand, but maybe now you'll understand my disdain of blanket statements on these forums about how the game should or shouldn't be played, as if there was some "universal formula" to good D&D.
I am somewhat convinced that certain level of "complaining" isn't just a desire to win expeditiously. I'm not sure these younger players "know" what's fun long-term, versus short-term expedient/convenient.

Just so long as they keep coming back to play...

(I just told them arrows are now going to be one-shot only...to much dismay!)

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

I don't know GIMP, only Photoshop, but if they're comparable, then text outlines are added as Layer effects to your text layer (like how you add drop shadows, there should be an option nearby just called "Stroke" or some equivalent).

EDIT: Just loaded up GIMP - holy shit, that's some un-intuitive jank. I see what you mean, can't find a stroke effect anywhere. I guess Google will need to sort you out.

Last edited:

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
maybe now you'll understand my disdain of blanket statements on these forums about how the game should or shouldn't be played, as if there was some "universal formula" to good D&D.
You could stop treating them that way. Nothing I say means everyone will like it. A big part of being a good DM is figuring out the style you like to run and then letting players sort themselves either to your table because you're providing something you like and do well, that they also like. Or to let them sort themselves to someone else's table who runs according to the style they find fun.

But nothing is "everyone likes this style". If the strawman irritates you, stop stuffing the straw into it.

EOTB

Well, mine don't. I don't think that's because they are bad players, instead---when I take the time to really flesh out (write up) an area, and am trying to be evocative (in a show-don't-tell manner)---the little window-dressing details get included to sell the story. I routinely (and my players have started call it "do your little spiel") try to verbally paint a pitcure of the room and include some of those little scene-setting details. That ends up jumbling up what's important with window-dressing.
Good - glad you found a way to make it work for you. A lot of DMs don't bother with such description in TOTM. Glad the illusions are working for you also. As mentioned above, the main thing is run an adventure the way you find rewarding, and then be willing to let players sort themselves. Some will sort themselves away, and that's OK.

squeen

Nothing I say means everyone will like it. A big part of being a good DM is figuring out the style you like to run and then letting players sort themselves either to your table because you're providing something you like and do well, that they also like. Or to let them sort themselves to someone else's table who runs according to the style they find fun.
I went back into D&D as a DM with the mentality of passing on what I learned as a player --- challenging play is more fun than accommodating play.

To that end, I'm borrowing what I've learned about AD&D (1e/OSR-style) to add some grit to the OD&D grinder and up some of the little details of the game (like resource management). It's really my decision to project a certain style of play...in the hope it will (long term) make for a better game experience. I can always drop it if it's a pain and adds nothing---but, so far, the old-school methods are batting 1000 in my estimation. Switching metaphors, the game-engine is running smoother and the gears are meshing.

Wisdom. Word.

DangerousPuhson

I can always drop it if it's a pain and adds nothing---but, so far, the old-school methods are batting 1000 in my estimation.
You had a player literally say "this old-school torch-tracking logistics stuff is not fun"... no offense, but I'd hardly call that "batting 1000".

challenging play is more fun than accommodating play.
Arg! What did I just say about applying blanket statements?

DangerousPuhson

But nothing is "everyone likes this style". If the strawman irritates you, stop stuffing the straw into it.
You (predictably) misconstrue my comment, sir.

My comment - "Blanket statements are bad because not every game group is the same"
Your reply - "You can ignore whatever you want. You argue against fake opponents and make up fake arguments!"

The fuck?

squeen

You had a player literally say "this old-school torch-tracking logistics stuff is not fun"... no offense, but I'd hardly call that "batting 1000".
For me. It's batting 1000 for me as DM --- i.e. having the desired cause-and-effect.
I'm adopting a "take your medicine, it's good for you" approach with my players.

EDIT: This same player has a habit of trying to skew the game in his favor. I'm used to it.
He wants to succeed and minimize effort. That's a good thing. I intend to keep him challenged.

Arg! What did I just say about applying blanket statements?
Wasn't taking about you, 5e...
Stop acting like everything is about you, 5e...
You're not the center of the universe, 5e!

I believe that statement to be true (in the long term) across any human-invented "game". Easy games get boring fast.

Impossible games do too---eventually...but it takes longer to discard them...at least for the kind of "determined player" I'd prefer to be playing with.

EDIT: Anywho...

Lots of other (universal) things in the realm of Game Design in my posts to discuss.
Anyone with good ideas for a Demon Lord's Citadel in the Abyss to invade?

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

Wasn't taking about you, 5e...
Stop acting like everything is about you, 5e...
You're not the center of the universe, 5e!
This has absolutely nothing to with with 5e, or the OSR, or anything. It's just the nature of good advice and guidance-giving in general: try not to make sweeping generalizations.

Y'all need to stop reading every one of my posts as some sort of preface for an attack on old-school gaming. That's not what I'm about, man.

squeen

This has absolutely nothing to with with 5e, or the OSR, or anything. It's just the nature of good advice and guidance-giving in general: try not to make sweeping generalizations.

Y'all need to stop reading every one of my posts as some sort of preface for an attack on old-school gaming. That's not what I'm about, man.
My mistake. Sorry.

When I say something that I find to be true...it is always implictly prefaced with "This I believe based upon my personal experience." It's just too wishy-washy never to make any sort of definitive statements for fear of the exceptions. It effectively gags us for sharing our viewpoint with others. Just discount my words with, "Well, he may think he's right, but I know otherwise." I'm okay with that. Also, "Squeen has a Big Mouth and likes to sprew his opinions around like they're facts.", or even "Squeen's a dumbass.".

... but hopefully not, "BRYCE: Hey squeen! Shut up you f*ckwit! You are ruining my urbane and gentlemanly forum!"

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

I believe that statement to be true (in the long term) across any human-invented "game". Easy games get boring fast.
There's a difference between a game that's easy to win, and a game that's easy to play. Easy to win games may get boring, but easy to play games are always popular (think about how many more copies of Ticket to Ride are out there when compared to, say, Twilight Imperium).

D&D is an open-state game - it ends when the DM says it's over. It's as easy or difficult to "win" D&D as the DM makes it (and yes, that statement is edition-agnostic).

squeen

I totally agree. You don't "win" in D&D ever...really, but you there are difficulty-to-progress settings (level-of-effort required?)

It's the latter, when set to "easy", I'm against. Yes, easy-to-play games are more popular, but I don't think D&D should aim to be one of those games...with some exception, of course. Hard to play is probably bad. Complicated: i.e. takes some concentration/patience/determination and has a learning curve---is not a bad thing. Hard to win/progress is definitely good in my book. Both the latter two keeps the mind's interest far longer (IMO).

Beyond that I can't really say much more.

Last edited:

EOTB

You (predictably) misconstrue my comment, sir.

My comment - "Blanket statements are bad because not every game group is the same"
Your reply - "You can ignore whatever you want. You argue against fake opponents and make up fake arguments!"

The fuck?
you said:

maybe now you'll understand my disdain of blanket statements on these forums about how the game should or shouldn't be played, as if there was some "universal formula" to good D&D.
But you object to interpreting that as poster X's intent with a statement you consider "blanket" and the game should be played that way because...poster X thought people liked what they were suggesting? Because that's all I added. If you take that out then the comment makes less sense.

Regardless, cut to the chase of it. Are you saying you're offended by statements not endlessly and repetitiously prefaced with "This may only be for me, but..."? Is that the objection? That you read something and think "hey that statement doesn't apply to me and I don't agree with it, but they said it as generally true instead of only sometimes true for some people, so WTF?"

You'd have to convict nearly everything you say here of the same crime under the same terms.

Anyway, the sorting applies to posters also. So I'm not going to make these sorts of pointless qualifications when we all know that anything anyone says of RPGs will be disagreed with by some people.

squeen

Oh! Duh! There's also Zuggtmoy in Temple of Elemental Evil. Tempting notion of full-circle---they started near Homlet.

...although the Temple itself kinda sucks. Would need a major re-write.

I could potentially use some of Trent's ideas over a Mystical Trash Heap and/or some of Bloch's a Greyhawk Grognardia.